Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
I recollect, just prior to the iPad mini announcement in October, how 9-5 reported that the new iMacs were still "weeks away," and were possibly delayed. Seeing as to how we are already in the middle of November, and still no new iMacs, they sure were spot on. I really hope Apple will allow us to order the new iMacs soon. Just a question, how much do you guys think a fully maxed out 21.5" will cost? With an education discount, I'm thinking maybe somewhere around $2100-$2200?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I would much rather at least know about it rather than still be in the dark...then again, I would be using a brand new rMBP now, since I promised myself that I would get one if there was no news of iMacs on October 23rd.

As for the 21.5 price, the upper model starts at $1500 retail. The only upgrades are the processor and the drive. $200 for the processor upgrade, plus $250 for the 1TB fusion drive puts it at $1950 WITHOUT the student discount. Probably like $1750-$1800 with it.

----------

If you are looking to buy a maxed out 21.5" iMac, then why not just get the 27" ?

I had the same thought, but you have to get the upper 27" to have the option of an i7, which he can get in the upper 21.5 inch.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
When did you expect the new iMacs? On Nov. 2ed were another product was anounced but the iMac wassent? Last week when all the news all over the world were US election news?

If it´s still coming out in November, and there is no reason to believe that its not, it would always have been in the second half of the month. Maybe this firday with the G3 iPad Mini Ariving and thanks giving opening the x-mas sales, maybe the week after when all the iPad releases have been dealt with.

I also hate all these Tabloid style Topic names. "Maybe your Penis issent very big - click this and see me rambling about it with no hard fakts or thought at all" ...yawn.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Seeing as to how we are already in the middle of November, and still no new iMacs, they sure were spot on

It's not the middle of November until the 15th. And even if it does pass the 15th, that still doesn't rule out November as the release month.

The new iMacs could come out by the very end of November.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
When did you expect the new iMacs? On Nov. 2ed were another product was anounced but the iMac wassent? Last week when all the news all over the world were US election news?

If it´s still coming out in November, and there is no reason to believe that its not, it would always have been in the second half of the month. Maybe this firday with the G3 iPad Mini Ariving and thanks giving opening the x-mas sales, maybe the week after when all the iPad releases have been dealt with.

I also hate all these Tabloid style Topic names. "Maybe your Penis issent very big - click this and see me rambling about it with no hard fakts or thought at all" ...yawn.

If you hate tabloid-style topics, then why do you click on them and post a comment? Surely, you can avoid them but yet you have to contribute don't you? I have been waiting for the new iMacs since last February, so excuse me if I express some impatience, which is perfectly allowable. I mean hell, if you can make comments about penis size (I don't see how iMacs and penis size relate, yet you seem very interested in the latter...makes me wonder?), then I'm allowed to voice some discontent over how the launch of the new iMacs was handled. If you want hard facts about penis size, you've come to the wrong website...and please learn to spell, because your illiteracy is annoying, and you fail horribly at discrediting my post with your homo-erotism and fixation on penis size.

----------

It's not the middle of November until the 15th. And even if it does pass the 15th, that still doesn't rule out November as the release month.

The new iMacs could come out by the very end of November.

True, the wait is just very trying. I'm hoping next week, because I can't see them release anything the week of Thanksgiving.

----------

I would much rather at least know about it rather than still be in the dark...then again, I would be using a brand new rMBP now, since I promised myself that I would get one if there was no news of iMacs on October 23rd.

As for the 21.5 price, the upper model starts at $1500 retail. The only upgrades are the processor and the drive. $200 for the processor upgrade, plus $250 for the 1TB fusion drive puts it at $1950 WITHOUT the student discount. Probably like $1750-$1800 with it.

----------

I had the same thought, but you have to get the upper 27" to have the option of an i7, which he can get in the upper 21.5 inch.

I am exactly in the same boat. I was about to pull the trigger on the rMBP, but then they go ahead and announce the new iMacs, yet, with no concrete release date or option for pre-ordering. Knowing BTO prices would've been especially helpful, as one could've planned financially. I'd rather get a maxed-out 21.5", than a base 27". You also forgot to include the RAM upgrade, which would probably run somewhere around $180. So, we're probably looking at somewhere around $2100 for a maxed out 21.5".

Last edited:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I have been waiting for the new iMacs since last February

I have been waiting since April, dealing with an 11" MBA for everything.

My old one broke and I thought I'd wait for the next one...which took a while (I expected it to come out in May like usual)

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Yes, just ignore every valid point i made about the release date and be hung up about penis because you don´t get that i am moking the tabloied style topic you opend even if i tell you that i am moking it. Next open a topic that says "I explain how the new iMac Design dos not suck" or "Are the iMacs out next Wednesday??"

Keep forums clean. There are topics in which you can just spam away about the release date. Use them. Don´t open a new one, and don´t title it like yellow press would do.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
I have been waiting since April, dealing with an 11" MBA for everything.

My old one broke and I thought I'd wait for the next one...which took a while (I expected it to come out in May like usual)

Yeah, as you can see in my sig, I've been getting along with an 11" MBA. I will be selling it as soon as a I get the 21.5" iMac. Love the MBA but it's a really small machine. I prefer the iPad for portability.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
If you are looking to buy a maxed out 21.5" iMac, then why not just get the 27" ?

Very simple. Because a maxed out 21.5" will have better video performance than the low end 27". And in terms of benchmarks, the top 21.5" will rank just second, under the top end 27", but at $500 - $1000 less. Quite a bit of value if you ask me.

Plus, not everyone needs or wants a behemoth-sized screen. I've owned and used both sizes and I'm quite content with 1080p.

Last edited:

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Very simple. Because a maxed out 21.5" will have better video performance than the low end 27". And in terms of benchmarks, the top 21.5" will rank just second, under the top end 27", but at $500 - $1000 less. Quite a bit of value if you ask me.

Plus, not everyone needs or wants a behemoth-sized screen. I've owned and used both sizes and I'm quite content with 1080p.

Couldn't have said it any better!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.