Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
My 5 has quite impressed me with battery life and I'm a very heavy user, but I've gotten over 9 hours of use, with 16 hours standby.

After iOS 6, battery life has definitely improved on my 4S, too.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
For those saying you have 3/4 or 1/2 full batteries at the end of your day or that you don't need a charge and it lasts more then a day, I wonder how often you really use your phones.

I'm 22, I use my phone pretty frequently, and my phone certainly will not last a full day. Of course, my full day is 9am to like 2am (after going out). Anything game-related kills my battery. It lasts longer if you keep it to soft games that aren't processing/data/graphically intensive (turn based games, etc - versus full fledged racing games).

I'm not saying that the battery life on the iPhone 5 sucks. I'm just saying that it simply won't last you a day if you're anything more than a conservative user. So be sure you always keep a charging cable in your car or an extra one on hand, because when my phone dies I feel like a part of me died, haha.

Coming from the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 battery life is worse (perhaps I am using it a bit more). My iPhone 4 would usually last my entire day, I would say by the time my iPhone 5 dies (when I get home if I don't charge in my car) my iPhone 4 would be anywhere from 10-20%. However, for some people who use their phones less then me, it might be a good thing. This is because the battery will be healthier in the iPhone 5 as it is nearly fully dead when you charge it versus charging an iPhone 4 at 20% overnight. The more complete the charging/deplete cycle the better. But versus my brother and sister's iPhone 4S the battery life on the iPhone 5 is marginally better. I'd say that if we performed the same tasks on both the 4S and the 5, the 4S would have 20% and the 5 would have close to 40% battery life remaining.

Another thing that kills my battery life is the signal strength of your service. the lower it is, the faster the battery life falls. When I go out to my cousin's house who lives in the boondocks my phone is constantly searching and sucks my battery life dead unless I put it on airplane mode. :(

Last edited:

Usehername

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
My phone usage is a little on the moderate side and I can get 9hrs usage. So I'm pretty happy with my battery life.

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
About 6-7 usage hours initially with my iPhone 5. Now it's simple 4-5 hours instead. Quite sad. :(

Usage pattern did not change. When I'm using its web browsing (mostly), Facebook, twitter, 9gag app, whatsapp/iMessage

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Mine totally DOES NOT!!! Also now despite numerous charger changes I am having trouble with the charger not keeping a connection! Even at night when the phone isn't being touched at all! No problems for almost a year and now I'm totally frustrated!

Clean the dock, it might be full of dust.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
For those saying you have 3/4 or 1/2 full batteries at the end of your day or that you don't need a charge and it lasts more then a day, I wonder how often you really use your phones.

I'm 22, I use my phone pretty frequently, and my phone certainly will not last a full day. Of course, my full day is 9am to like 2am (after going out). Anything game-related kills my battery. It lasts longer if you keep it to soft games that aren't processing/data/graphically intensive (turn based games, etc - versus full fledged racing games).

I'm not saying that the battery life on the iPhone 5 sucks. I'm just saying that it simply won't last you a day if you're anything more than a conservative user. So be sure you always keep a charging cable in your car or an extra one on hand, because when my phone dies I feel like a part of me died, haha.

Coming from the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 battery life is worse (perhaps I am using it a bit more). My iPhone 4 would usually last my entire day, I would say by the time my iPhone 5 dies (when I get home if I don't charge in my car) my iPhone 4 would be anywhere from 10-20%. However, for some people who use their phones less then me, it might be a good thing. This is because the battery will be healthier in the iPhone 5 as it is nearly fully dead when you charge it versus charging an iPhone 4 at 20% overnight. The more complete the charging/deplete cycle the better. But versus my brother and sister's iPhone 4S the battery life on the iPhone 5 is marginally better. I'd say that if we performed the same tasks on both the 4S and the 5, the 4S would have 20% and the 5 would have close to 40% battery life remaining.

Another thing that kills my battery life is the signal strength of your service. the lower it is, the faster the battery life falls. When I go out to my cousin's house who lives in the boondocks my phone is constantly searching and sucks my battery life dead unless I put it on airplane mode. :(

I totally agree with this. While I don't not believe people whose batteries last over a day, I've never gotten such usage with either of my iPhones (4 and now the 5). I don't really care either way because I think my usage justifies the battery life I get. I never used wifi (always on LTE which sometimes switches to 4G here and there), do a lot of tweeting, checking Instagram, using location-based apps, etc. Do most people only text and email with their phones? I can see my phone lasting over a day if I only texted on it. But I always have to charge it before bed because even with "light" use I am down to around 40%. I usually only get around 6 hours of usage a day.

ThunderRoad

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
I may aswell ask this here...

Just bought my 5, have yet to take it out of the box even. When first using it should I keep it on charge for a certain time? Or is good to use, straight out of the box?

DjTrooper

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
My usage with Brightness on %50

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 42

bhigh8

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
What's everyone's opinion of mine? I usually surf and play games. Not real crazy usage. It's not bad but can't tell if its same or worse than my 4.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 45

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yup! My first 5 had battery issues so I traded it in. My current 5 is very good. Last me with 40% of moderate/heavy use.

Matthewr1990

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I will say here that I had an iPhone 4 since it released and it used to make it through my day(10am - 11pm. but i would be home by 7pm so would b able to put it on charge no problem even though I'd have about 20% left) I always thought it had brilliant battery until I got my iphone 5 on released date and it amazed me straight away. As soon as I got it I put it on charge and left it for the first day. But on the second day I took it off charge at roughly 8am and spent the day showing it off on full brightness. Lots of speed tests, downloads, game playing/loading, phone calls, pictures etc and I kid you not I got home at about 6pm that night and STILL had over 40% in fact I spent the next 3 and a half hours draining its battery purposefully (wanted to perform a full battery recharge) that means my iphone lasted 13 and a half hours of constant heavy use on full brightness. Which is phenomenal in my opinion. Nowadays I have settled into using my iPhone again. So will have it off charge at about 9am every day to do everything I need to (work etc.) and I'll get home at about 11pm and will always have over 40% remaining. Like I said I've settled into using it again. So don't spend all day showing it off. I have my brightness about 6/10 and use it steadily but not heavily. Lots of web browsing, email, a few games, texting and phone calls. So if I was to to calculate how many hours my battery would last me on an average day I would say its easily 18 hours. Which amazes me. Honestly I do believe this phone is run my magic. And I have to take my hat off for apple as they have made a remarkable device. One that's deserving of 1st place any day of the week

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I play music from the time I wake up and go to work until I get home 6 hours later. My battery hasn't gotten below 73% yet.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My Verizon iPhone 5 does last through the day and usually has anywhere from 35-60% battery left at the end of a 12 hour day depending on how much I've been in and out of apps, on phone calls, sending texts, taking pictures, etc.

Surprisingly, I've found that leaving the LTE radio on all day in an area with weak LTE signal (1-2 bars) doesn't drain the battery as much as I expected it would. I've only noticed an extra 3-6% drop in battery life on LTE standby in weak LTE areas on average compared to forcing the phone over to 3G in those areas.

If I'm using data over LTE and LTE coverage is spotty, the battery does drain considerably more quickly -- just as it would using data over 3G in an area with spotty 3G service.

Klcarson

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Clean the dock, it might be full of dust.

Thanks! Im thinking that might also be why I have trouble with hearing whether on speaker or not and tend to use my headset for phone calls! A thorough head to toe cleaning is in order! :)

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
through the day and more. i could not be more happier with my iPhone 5 battery.

null-4.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.