Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Got an iPhone 5 on launch day and returned it shortly after. Besides being taller, it's pretty much the exact same phone the past 2 years. iOS has become stale and boring with little no innovation. I also hate the way notification center is implemented on the device. (If it weren't for jailbreaking, I don't know how I could've managed).

With the Note II, besides the screen, expandable storage, battery, SPen features, etc, etc.. I'm able to customize the phone to fit into my daily life. Calendars, appointments, emails, tasks, notifications, all configured the way I want. With the iPhone, you're forced to adapt to their limited features and options.

Its interesting how when iPhone users switch to Android, it's always because they want a change and feel iOS has become boring. When Android users switch to iPhone it's usually because they want a phone that actually works. They either have one that lags, has problems or in my case, just tired of watching other phones get updated while their new phone sits on an older version of Android. You never hear of someone getting rid of their iPhone because it lags or doesn't work right.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Honestly I was waiting for an Android phone that is truly seamless, the Note 2 is the first device I've come across that doesn't have compromise in the smoothness of the user experience on Android, whereas many other phones (even the Galaxy S3 US Version) definitely had noticeable lag that made the iPhone seem superior. I'm glad I switched when I did because I'm totally digging the customizability, custom keyboards, SCREEN, battery life, speed, and storage.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Its interesting how when iPhone users switch to Android, it's always because they want a change and feel iOS has become boring. When Android users switch to iPhone it's usually because they want a phone that actually works. They either have one that lags, has problems or in my case, just tired of watching other phones get updated while their new phone sits on an older version of Android. You never hear of someone getting rid of their iPhone because it lags or doesn't work right.

That's like asking, "you ever hear of someone getting rid of their Android because it isn't customizable enough?"

All you're doing is highlighting different strengths of OSes. How illuminating, I guess?

And you're just a hair away from uttering the infamous and inaccurate mantra of "it just works." I shudder. Anyone who espouses that notion, in my opinion, cannot be taken seriously.

----------

Honestly I was waiting for an Android phone that is truly seamless, the Note 2 is the first device I've come across that doesn't have compromise in the smoothness of the user experience on Android, whereas many other phones (even the Galaxy S3 US Version) definitely had noticeable lag that made the iPhone seem superior. I'm glad I switched when I did because I'm totally digging the customizability, custom keyboards, SCREEN, battery life, speed, and storage.

Well done. Today, if you do your research, you can find Android devices that get updates, do not lag, and much more.

The major problems of Android from yesteryear have either disappeared entirely, been addressed by different Android lineups (choices are a wonderful thing!), or are so up to par with the competition as to be non-issues.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The major problems of Android from yesteryear have either disappeared entirely, been addressed by different Android lineups (choices are a wonderful thing!), or are so up to par with the competition as to be non-issues.

No they really haven't. Only the phones running JB with project butter are a truly smooth experience. How many Android phones are running that though? 2 out of 150? Androids fragmentation is still by far it's worst problem. Brand new and expensive phones running outdated versions of OS. I really liked my S3 but seeing the Sprint version getting upgraded to JB while mine is still on ICS with no word on an update except sometime next year really left a bad taste in my mouth. They both have the same hardware and software, that's completely unacceptable and a huge flaw with Android still. You can say just buy a Nexus 4 all you want but there are many of us who aren't on a GSM carrier and can't buy one.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Which is why I haven't made the switch until now. Google has made significant improvements year after year to their software. What exactly has apple done? 5th row of icons? Magical..

----------

You can say just buy a Nexus 4 all you want but there are many of us who aren't on a GSM carrier and can't buy one.

You can blame Verizon for that.

kaybeenz

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
[/COLOR]

Well done. Today, if you do your research, you can find Android devices that get updates, do not lag, and much more.

I think that this is exactly the reason why some gadget geeks, who have notoriously short attention spans and constantly crave the latest toys, claim that the iPhone has become "stale", or "boring", or "lacking in innovation". Android phones went through A TON of crappy mobile devices in the last 2-3 years and arguably, took until this year to hit a home run with the S3 and the Note 2. The iPhone, on the other hand, was already smooth as butter as far back as the 3GS and so, subsequent updates have been seemingly incremental as it has basically been a matter of tweaking and improving on an already great device.

This is why I still hear of people happily using their 3GS, or 4 (which is by now more than two years old but still commanding a great price for a used one). On the contrary, try finding a happy user of an Android phone from two years ago. Or worse, try selling one on Craigslist.

Android phones have had to improve by leaps and bounds because they badly needed those kinds of improvements. But make no mistake, Android handset manufacturers would never have tried so hard if there wasn't the iPhone standard to meet and beat.

Competition is a good thing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think that this is exactly the reason why some gadget geeks, who have notoriously short attention spans and constantly crave the latest toys, claim that the iPhone has become "stale", or "boring", or "lacking in innovation". Android phones went through A TON of crappy mobile devices in the last 2-3 years and arguably, took until this year to hit a home run with the S3 and the Note 2. The iPhone, on the other hand, was already smooth as butter as far back as the 3GS and so, subsequent updates have been seemingly incremental as it has basically been a matter of tweaking and improving on an already great device.

This is why I still hear of people happily using their 3GS, or 4 (which is by now more than two years old but still commanding a great price for a used one). On the contrary, try finding a happy user of an Android phone from two years ago. Or worse, try selling one on Craigslist.

Android phones have had to improve by leaps and bounds because they badly needed those kinds of improvements. But make no mistake, Android handset manufacturers would never have tried so hard if there wasn't the iPhone standard to meet and beat.

100% agree.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

Yep, agreed. Not to mention there are new Android phones every month all trying to one up each other so the pace is much faster with Android making iOS seem like its too slow.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Definitely good points. Now that Android and even Windows in many ways have far surpassed iOS it will be interesting to see how Apple responds, especially now that Forstall is out. Competition is awesome, we are the ones who benefit.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
it will be interesting to see how Apple responds, especially now that Forstall is out.

Indications point to changes primarily having to deal with aesthetics. I'm sure there will be other improvements, but I can't imagine too large of an overhaul.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
It's funny how I thought I couldn't live without things like widgets and a file manager yet I am finding things like Siri and how my iPhone works with my Apple TV much more useful. What does iOS really need to add to make it better? Widgets? Quick settings?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's funny how I thought I couldn't live without things like widgets and a file manager yet I am finding things like Siri and how my iPhone works with my Apple TV much more useful. What does iOS really need to add to make it better?!Widgets? Quick settings?

They don't have too but it be nice. Or someone get an jailbreak out....

4.1 introduced Google now....I prefer Google cause of offline dictation, Siri is useless texting in a weak signal area. Don't really use either though....

4.2 introduced Miracast support. You can buy the box to adapt to older TV's or use miracast enabled TV's. Fact is since its now the industry standard you'll be paying and connecting an ATV to a Miracast enable TV one day.

Its like MHL, you need to buy all sorts of adaptors to connect an iDevice to a HDMI. Which you have to do with Android unless it has HDMI out already. But most modern Android phone have MHL/USB ports, which you can get an adaptor for older TV's or if you have an MHL enable TV you can just plug it. If you do the later the MHL supports 1080p, 7.1 surround sound, charges the connected Android device via the TV, and the TV's remote will play, pause etc video playing from the phone. Another industry standard Apple can't be bothered with due to margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.