Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
So I dropped my iPad 3 and cracked the screen, but the issue is I also dented the iPad at the bottom right!

3rd party repairers told me it would be $280 and I just instantly left. I know Apple will do an out of warranty for approx $300 so there's no need to just have my iPad 3 repaired.

I decided to play around with the iPad Mini in store and wow it's awesome to hold. So light and portable, the text on the screen did seem a bit jaggedy so that was the only turn off. I could pick that up for $330 I guess, it's not that bad in price.

I had no issues with the iPad 3's size and weight, not until I grabbed and played with the mini. Replacing my 3 with a 4 would be the most logical choice because I already have an iPhone 5. I find it almost silly to have a 4" phone and then have a 7.9" tablet..... but to drop $500 on another tablet also seems a bit excessive.

Now if only I could convince a genius to replace my 3 with a 4 for $300 (I know this isn't happening but I can dream) I am gonna stop by the Apple Store later tonight and see what they say. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones who gets it replaced for free :p

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'd go for the iPad 4 just because it's the better tech. If you want a Mini i'd wait for the refresh. The internals of the Mini is basically what's in the iPad 2. ;)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'd go for the iPad 4 just because it's the better tech. If you want a Mini i'd wait for the refresh. The internals of the Mini is basically what's in the iPad 2. ;)

And this is a bad thing because.....? :confused:

As I recall the iPad 2 was pretty cool. Still is for many who still have one....

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
And this is a bad thing because.....? :confused:

As I recall the iPad 2 was pretty cool. Still is for many who still have one....

I own an iPad 2 and given the choice I'd still get the iPad 4. It's the best tech and better deal between the two.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
If you want retina get the 4, if you need something more portable get the mini. Too bad about the iPad 3, I still love mine.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I own an iPad 2 and given the choice I'd still get the iPad 4. It's the best tech and better deal between the two.

Best tech? Best tech for what? What exactly are you thinking the iPad 4 can run the mini can't? :confused:

This isn't the nineties where you needed the latest Intel processor to run a game...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Best tech? Best tech for what? What exactly are you thinking the iPad 4 can run the mini can't? :confused:

This isn't the nineties where you needed the latest Intel processor to run a game...

Does the Mini have a retina display? No

Does the Mini have an A6X processor? No

Does the Mini have 1GB of ram? No

If you think the Mini has better hardware specs than the iPad 4, I have a bridge for sale. :p

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012

If you think the Mini has better hardware specs than the iPad 4, I have a bridge for sale. :p
1.5 pounds? Check
Uncomfortable ness? Check
Thick design? Check
Owning a mini that's half the weight Nd paper thin =PRICELESS

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Specs mean nothing in this decision.

All that matters is the OP's usage needs.

If portability and a small screen are desired, and a user does not mind doing a lot of panning and zooming, the mini is the way to go.

If large documents / PDFs are going to be used, and web browsing / videos / higher end processing are needed, then the 4 is the way to go.

R

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I was talking about a better CPU/Memory/Retina Display. ;)

Some people have different priorities than having the best specs on paper. Hell... most of the people here who own iPhones are ignoring the fact that it only has 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB like top Android phones.

For many, it's about user experience. That's why we choose Apple in the first place.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Made it to the Apple store yesterday in order to check the Mini.
All I have to say is it's godawful! The body is o'k, but the screen! C'mon after the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 it looks dull and so low-res. Thanks, but no thanks!
I think this thing is definitely targeted at the mainstream consumers who don't have an actual iPad or maybe even an iPhone.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

I didn't say it had better hardware specs. Go back and reread my post. I am asking "best tech for what?" What do you plan on doing with this best tech the mini can't do? THAT is what I asked. :rolleyes:

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
If you have cash to spend get the 4, if you just want a replacement for what you had and liked get the 3. If however you want something new and different then what you had, buy a mini.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I didn't say it had better hardware specs. Go back and reread my post. I am asking "best tech for what?" What do you plan on doing with this best tech the mini can't do? THAT is what I asked. :rolleyes:

I know what you wrote, I just pointed to the fact that the iPad 4 has better specs.

As for what's it for?

Well there are some on this forum who said the iPad 3 was sluggish or had choppy framerates when playing games like Infinity Blade 2. The iPad 4 should help with that. It should also do better than the iPad 3 when it comes to other highly graphic intensive games that will be released in the near future.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I know what you wrote, I just pointed to the fact that the iPad 4 has better specs.

As for what's it for?

Well there are some on this forum who said the iPad 3 was sluggish or had choppy framerates when playing games like Infinity Blade 2. The iPad 4 should help with that. It should also do better than the iPad 3 when it comes to other highly graphic intensive games that will be released in the near future.

Some on this forum. Should do better. So your talking about specs for specs sake?

I'm an Infinity Blade nut. Infinity Blade played just as good, if not a bit smoother, on the iPad 2 than the 3. I owned both and played a lot on both. I couldn't tell the difference in visual quality. I read an article once about the improvements in lighting effects on the 3 at the expense of "sluggishness". I couldn't really notice the special lighting effects, but I did notice the sluggishness. The iPad 2 played all the games I tried with no issues.

I don't read reviews and parrot someone's opinion. I speak from personal experience. I read somewhere about a game called Nova that was sluggish on the iPad 2. Yay. One of 275,000 apps will take advantage of the "best tech". Maybe iMovie. Yay. Two apps. And it's not like it won't run at all on the iPad 2 or mini.

I think the whining about "old tech" without citing specific examples of where it is exactly that this "new tech" is going to do something the "old tech" can't do is just specs talk for specs sake. We're not talking PCs here. We're talking iPads.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Some on this forum. Should do better. So your talking about specs for specs sake?

I'm an Infinity Blade nut. Infinity Blade played just as good, if not a bit smoother, on the iPad 2 than the 3. I owned both and played a lot on both. I couldn't tell the difference in visual quality. I read an article once about the improvements in lighting effects on the 3 at the expense of "sluggishness". I couldn't really notice the special lighting effects, but I did notice the sluggishness. The iPad 2 played all the games I tried with no issues.

I don't read reviews and parrot someone's opinion. I speak from personal experience. I read somewhere about a game called Nova that was sluggish on the iPad 2. Yay. One of 275,000 apps will take advantage of the "best tech". Maybe iMovie. Yay. Two apps. And it's not like it won't run at all on the iPad 2 or mini.

I think the whining about "old tech" without citing specific examples of where it is exactly that this "new tech" is going to do something the "old tech" can't do is just specs talk for specs sake. We're not talking PCs here. We're talking iPads.

I would still buy an iPad 4 over an iPad Mini or iPad 3 because the specs are better. :)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I would still buy an iPad 4 over an iPad Mini or iPad 3 because the specs are better. :)

Good or you. I'd prefer a device that can do the same thing and weigh half as much and fit in my murse. To each their own.

Although apparently I'll also need to buy some Tylenol...

Applejack8645

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Minnesota
Made it to the Apple store yesterday in order to check the Mini.
All I have to say is it's godawful! The body is o'k, but the screen! C'mon after the iPhone 5 and the iPad 3 it looks dull and so low-res. Thanks, but no thanks!
I think this thing is definitely targeted at the mainstream consumers who don't have an actual iPad or maybe even an iPhone.

:confused: " ???An actual iPad? doesn't Apple make both? i for one am getting rid of my heavy hot iPad 3 for an iPad Mini. what it all boils down to is what OP is going to be doing with his device, i know that for what i do, web browsing, reading and listening to music, the mini is the way to go for me!

good luck with your decision OP

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I will say what I would use my iPad for (and what I used my gen 3 for )

I browse the Internet , read some e magazines , manage and view dropbox files for school , and PDF e books.

I have no games installed on it , whereas my phone has like 3 folders full of games. It is essentially an Internet browser for me when I don't want to be on my MacBook or desktop

Tokes Green

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2011
Here, there, and everywhere.
:confused: " ???An actual iPad? doesn't Apple make both? i for one am getting rid of my heavy hot iPad 3 for an iPad Mini. what it all boils down to is what OP is going to be doing with his device, i know that for what i do, web browsing, reading and listening to music, the mini is the way to go for me!

good luck with your decision OP

This.

The ipad 4 and the mini each serve their own purpose. I sold my ipad 3 the minute the mini was released because for me, portability and weight are more important than screen size and retina.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Good or you. I'd prefer a device that can do the same thing and weigh half as much and fit in my murse. To each their own.

Although apparently I'll also need to buy some Tylenol...

I picked an extra bottle. Give me your address and i'll mail you one. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.