Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
I gave my Mini to my Mom. She used it for 2 days and said she wants the big iPad because the screen is blurry. She is one of the least technical people I know and of course I never brought up my feelings in the screen to her.

According to the true believers on this forum your mother is a "whiner" or you are a troll, a liar or just plain hysterical. Amazing how closed minded and biased people can be.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I'm writing this on my iPad 4 from my hospital bed.

Three days ago I fell into a coma after two days of intensive use of the mini. It started with headaches. Then sesures, then a slight stint of blindness before I slipped into a mini coma.

Doctors say I should b fine as long as I stay away from small low res electronic devices.

Ha

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Most members recognize the screen will improve as competitors are already beating it in the 7" market (not arguable, good enough for you is obvious). Early adopters are early adopters, they can't help themselves. Just be happy with your purchase and stop being personally offended if something negative is said. It's already been published repeatedly on major tech sites, live with it.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I went today to my local BB and used the iPad mini for about a half hour. Overall it seemed like a great device, felt awesome in my hands. I literally loved just about everything about it.

The screen is acceptable, definitely no headaches and it appears perfectly useable. Here's the thing though, and this is just my own opinion, Apple has spoilt me with the retina displays on my iPhone and iPad 3. I've really come to appreciate how graphics, and text especially, are rendered on a retina display. I noticed the degraded resolution on the mini right away. And I just couldn't get past that detraction. It reminded me of when I got the iPhone 4 and every time after that when I looked at a 3GS, the degraded resolution was front and centre.

Is this deal breaker for everyone, absolutely not. But I think, at least for me personally, had I never owned the iPhone or the iPad 3, I probably wouldn't think twice about getting the mini but as it stands, I'll wait till the next version where they'll probably put in a retina display. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Three days ago I fell into a coma after two days of intensive use of the mini. It started with headaches. Then sesures, then a slight stint of blindness before I slipped into a mini coma.

Doctors say I should b fine as long as I stay away from small low res electronic devices.

Ha

ROLF! Classic... :D

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I am one who said I got headaches while using my mini. I also specifically said It was probably because i was straining my eyes because i wasn't going to be zooming in to read text all the time though... Which in my opinion stinks.. I can use my iPhone 5 for long periods without getting a headache so there is something different. I love the minis size and weight but that wasn't enough for me to keep it. When the mini gets retina I will buy it but until that happens I will enjoy using the 4 I bought after returning it...

The text will still be the same size if its retina so that won't solve your problem.

----------

I would never give up the iPad for the iPad mini

I would... I already have. :)

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
I find it funny prior to the new retina iPads they were great tablets, now their so horrible. Why were they not horrible back then?!?

This argument is faulty. No one complained about 480i televisions years ago, but would you buy one now?

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
The list of problems with the iPad mini and iOS in general is long. Sure, I notice the screen once in a while, but the fact that iOS is application-centric and makes you remember exactly what program a certain document belongs to in order to find and open it annoys me all the time. It surprises me that a company like Apple would put all the focus on the applications instead of the content.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Ha

I love you! ;-)

----------

This argument is faulty. No one complained about 480i televisions years ago, but would you buy one now?

That's an invalid argument. It's not saying the retina isn't BETTER, it's saying the Mini's standard screen is not unusable, or anything close to it. Just because there is a better technology available, doesn't mean they have to use it.

Why are you all not complaining in the MacBook Air 13" forum that they COULD have used a higher processor. Or in the Mac Mini that the product isn't thinner because they COULD make it thinner.

Apple is a business. They're there to make a quality product that will be quite popular. Just because it doesn't appease the small percentage willing to carry a thicker, heavier device and pay more, doesn't mean it's a crap product, or that they made an error. I LOVE my mini. I wouldn't change it in any way. Would I LIKE a retina screen, hell yeah, but would prefer it stay non-retina if it means half the thickness it exists as, and the lengthy battery life we're seeing in the iPad Mini

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Weight sold me on the mini too. I had no intention of buying until I held it. Awkward love at first sight. Great body & personality, even if avg face.

It's a supplement to my iPad 3. We'll see what the iPad 5 brings. If Apple can get the weight down to iPad 2's I might be breaking up w/ mini. Why settle.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
The biggest problem that I have it people throwing around words like "horrible", "unreadable", "garbage", and crap like that. The exaggerations and hyberbole is tiring. The new fad apparently is getting headaches from the mini screen. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I wish people would measure their comments a bit. Either that or consolidate all the "Mini screen is horrible" posts into one thread. That way one can ignore it and focus on more balanced reviews and descriptions. But I guess that wouldn't be as much fun.... :apple:

Very well said. Sometimes I feel that we're all looking at different screens because when I saw the Mini in person I was very pleasantly surprised, not disappointed.

FlashHead

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Seriously, horrible and unusable is quite a bit of hyperbole. Sure one is a little better than the other. However, I go back and forth between my 3 and mini with absolutely no trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.