Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Well I have successfully upgraded my brand new 2012 Mac Mini with an SSD and 16gb Memory so thought I would post some feedback for others who are thinking of doing the same.

Objective

2012-11-05%2022.28.53.jpg

• Install Data Doubler Kit from OWC to allow installation of Second Hard Drive.
  • Install OCZ 120gb Vertex Plus SATAII SSD to use as main Boot Drive.
  • Erase existing 500gb Hard Drive to use as Data/Storage Drive.
  • Install Crucial 16gb (2 x 8gb) DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory upgrade.

OWC Data Doubler Kit

2012-11-08%2017.01.14.jpg

The OWC Data Doubler Kit which allows you to install the second hard drive was far better than expected. Great quality tools, everything you could possibly need to take your expensive Mac Mini apart safely.

The Instruction Manual is very clear with colour photos and step-by-step instructions but I found it easier to follow this video on an iPad while actually doing the work on the Mini:

Thats it! not sure if this will help others or not but thought I would post my experiences :)

Last edited:

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
great post! I plan on doing this...

QUESTION!

if I move the home folders...I still want my apps etc on the SSD will they still install on there yes?

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Just added a quick video to the bottom of the post show how quick the system boots with the SSD Drive :)

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Question: the cost of the disk doubler and the SSD is not that much cheaper than just getting the Fusion drive from apple BTO. Why not do that instead?

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Question: the cost of the disk doubler and the SSD is not that much cheaper than just getting the Fusion drive from apple BTO. Why not do that instead?

Well personally I already had an SSD to put in it.

But a couple of reasons:

1) If you buy the Base Model there is no option on the website to choose Fusion Drive.

2) You may want to upgrade the Hard Drive in a years time when SSDs will be even cheaper.

3) You may want to use the Data Doubler to add two 1tb Standard Drives.

In my opinion the Data Doubler Kit offers more flexibility :)

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Well personally I already had an SSD to put in it.

But a couple of reasons:

1) If you buy the Base Model there is no option on the website to choose Fusion Drive.

2) You may want to upgrade the Hard Drive in a years time when SSDs will be even cheaper.

3) You may want to use the Data Doubler to add two 1tb Standard Drives.

In my opinion the Data Doubler Kit offers more flexibility :)

I get the base model argument, but with the Fusion drive, don't you end up in the same place as with the Data Doubler: two drive in the machine, one HDD and one SSD?

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I get the base model argument, but with the Fusion drive, don't you end up in the same place as with the Data Doubler: two drive in the machine, one HDD and one SSD?

Yeah I guess, it made sense for me as I already had an SSD.

But for me to upgrade to the i7 Mac Mini with a Fusion Drive it would cost me an extra £380 from the Apple Site. I can get a fairly decent SSD + Data Doubler for less than £150.

I must admit though, if I had the cash I would probably just get the fusion drive. Don't think the girlfriend would want me spending anymore money on Apple products for a while :D

Rather than use Internet Restore, I'd clone the HD to the SSD and then change the boot drive to the SSD. Is there any reason that would not work?

Yeah as far as I know that will work but I like to do a fresh install onto a new hard drive, it may just be me being fussy :)

abuleban

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Did this on an older mac mini

Upgraded the RAM and HD in a 1.83 GHz Mac Mini recently, using crucial's RAM and HD kit, and it worked just fine. I was lucky that I already had the necessary tools, and man it was a pain to get past the casing and the internal stuff, but it all worked out!

scottaboshia

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
Rather than use Internet Restore, I'd clone the HD to the SSD and then change the boot drive to the SSD. Is there any reason that would not work?

I did this, took a total of eight minutes to clone. I hadn't installed anything on my mini before installing my SSD but either way, it didn't make sense to me to do a fresh install when you can just clone bit for bit an install that was just done.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
No issue and works fine. Same outcome just faster.

I did this, took a total of eight minutes to clone. I hadn't installed anything on my mini before installing my SSD but either way, it didn't make sense to me to do a fresh install when you can just clone bit for bit an install that was just done.

What cloning tools did you guys use?

Could add links above for people who want to clone the drive instead :)

911scanner

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
So here is my question for those of you, such as the OP, that have installed an OS x to a drive.

After adding in two drives like this, did you then try to recover from an older Time Machine back up?

I currently have a 2010 iMac running 10.6.8. Thinking of a new mini with either Fusion drive or doing what OP did.

Would then like to recover my TM backup from the older iMac. Can it be done?

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
So here is my question for those of you, such as the OP, that have installed an OS x to a drive.

After adding in two drives like this, did you then try to recover from an older Time Machine back up?

I currently have a 2010 iMac running 10.6.8. Thinking of a new mini with either Fusion drive or doing what OP did.

Would then like to recover my TM backup from the older iMac. Can it be done?

I personally haven't recovered a Time Machine backup yet. So not sure if it would work or not.

Maybe someone else would be able to say if it will work or not?

evilsword

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Secondary HDD through USB

Very nice guide. Just what I need. I am a newbie to these mac stuff.

I am think of buying a Mac Mini, install a SSD, and use the stock HDD as secondary disk through USB.

If I move the user folder to secondary drive, what would happen if I unplug the usb of the HDD while OSX is still running. What would happen? Will it screw up the whole OSX? Will OSX restore after I re-plugin the HDD?

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
just set up my new mac mini...

8gb vengeance ram

256gb Samsung SSD

ran into a few surprises...the thing that guards the powersupply the foam kept coming off!

it was a lot harder to put the logic board in then i thought it would be! also i couldn't fit ONE of the screws back into the wifi board...but that's not a biggie...it's secure and i wont go back in there now!

what should i do now to make sure all is running OK with my SSD and RAM and making sure the internal fan is working okay...

a checklist so to speak of what is "normal" now with my mac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 13.03.39.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 13.03.39.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,669
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 13.03.51.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 13.03.51.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 1,232
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 13.19.54.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 13.19.54.png
    882.5 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
also...

ZERO issues with using the HDMI port....granted with an apple 23" cinema display but it's fine! perfect quality.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Just done stage 1 of my upgrade by putting the 16GB. Brilliant results, the little Mac is flying, at just over £50 this is a bargain upgrade, IMO.

SSD will come after Xmas, probably...

spammerhamster

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Thought I'd ive my two cents of experience too :)

I've finally received my iFixit dual drive kit (it got stuck at customs) and installed it yesterday. I find the spudger hard to use, but the screwdriver set with all the bits is really high-quality and extensive. It had all the tools needed and much more.

Anyway, it took me about an hour to finish installing. I've followed the video on this thread because I think it's the most detailed guide (ifixit did not include a guide in the set, you have to go their website to read it). However, I was in doubt when installing the grommets. That part is better explained at ifixit.

Also, this was invaluable https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/14302708/

There were 2 surprises though.
1) the airport connector is covered with a plasticsheet, I had to fold that one up to reach the connector. It was also much harder to attach the antenna again afterwards with that plastic sheet. I'm pretty sure apple can see someone tempered with the system by that plastic sheet...

2) there is a rubber protector around the power supply connector which is not shown any movies. Had to remove that to slide the power supply out.

This was my plan (and it worked out beautifully)

preperations
1) Buy a USB3-enclosure and put the new SSD in there
2) Use Carbon Copy Cleaner to install a recovery partition on the SSD AND clone the current working mountain lion.
3) Test the cloning process by booting into the USB3-SSD first.
4) If everything's correct, boot into the internal drive again and remove the SSD from the USB3-enclosure and put another 2.5"HDD in it, make a Time Machine backup to that 2.5" HDD.

installing
5) install the dual drive kit
6) boot into the now internal SSD
7) do some benchmarking
8) go into recovery mode and then create a fusion drive
9) restore from Time Machine (from that 2.5" USB3-HDD)
10) Enjoy my powerful Mac Mini

WQvVt.jpg

My Mac Mini is a 2012 Quad Core 2.3Ghz i7
I've upgraded the ram with a 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 kit.
And now it also host the power saving 1TB Apple (Toshiba) 5400 HDD fused with the Crucial M4 256GB SSD.

(I've chosen a Crucial because I couldn't get a recovery partition on the Samsung 830.)

Oh, one more thing. I couldn't get into recovery mode with my wireless logitech keyboard. Had to attach a USB-keyboard and hold CMD+R while booting to get into recovery mode.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.