Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jet noise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
A few days ago I bought a new iMac (last generation, with the optical drive). It was discounted since the new, thinner one is out. Well, I've decided to return it and go for the new one. But, I have loaded some stuff to it, now I need to erase/delete everything and return it to the new in box settings. Can someone please help?
I have searched for answers on the board, but most answers say to insert the software disc and go to disc utilities...I never got a software disc and right now I'm erasing usable space on the hard drive, but it says it will take 13 hours and I still don't know if that's going to remove everything I've installed and uploaded. :confused:

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
A few days ago I bought a new iMac (last generation, with the optical drive). It was discounted since the new, thinner one is out. Well, I've decided to return it and go for the new one. But, I have loaded some stuff to it, now I need to erase/delete everything and return it to the new in box settings. Can someone please help?
I have searched for answers on the board, but most answers say to insert the software disc and go to disc utilities...I never got a software disc and right now I'm erasing usable space on the hard drive, but it says it will take 13 hours and I still don't know if that's going to remove everything I've installed and uploaded. :confused:
The manual that came with your model clearly states to start from the restore partition. When starting the computer, hold down the option key. And you'll boot from the restore partition. This will allow you to accomplish what you want.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Hold the command-r keys down while booting and that will take you to the recovery partition. Once there, start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Utility and install the OS. That will leave nothing but the OS on the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.