Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I just got my iPhone 5 and I noticed that the home button is slightly recessed - on all the floor models I've seen (and my friend's phones), the home button is supposed to be 'flush' or 'in line' with the rest of the phone. I know I'm coming off as one of those OCD nutjobs who complains about every little flaw in a phone, but this is bugging me because the skin I use on my phone purposely covers the home button to protect it from dust, etc. You're supposed to be able to 'press' the home button through the skin because it's NOT recessed. But because this phone seems to have a slightly recessed home button, pressing the home button is kind of a pain.

Is anyone else's home button slightly recessed from the rest of the phone??

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Do you mean the edge around the circumference of the button isn't flush with the glass? If not then its supposed to be that way. The home button forms a concave curve like a shallow bowl. If it is the circumference then this is an abnormal flaw and I would take it back, the only reason being that it can be slightly raised glass due to it not being assembled properly or a damaged home button switch

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Do you mean the edge around the circumference of the button isn't flush with the glass? If not then its supposed to be that way. The home button forms a concave curve like a shallow bowl. If it is the circumference then this is an abnormal flaw and I would take it back, the only reason being that it can be slightly raised glass due to it not being assembled properly or a damaged home button switch

I know it's supposed to be shaped like a bowl, but for me the whole button is slightly recessed... it doesn't feel right... but if I take it back I doubt they will replace it because it works fine..

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
My wifes iphone is like that. It feels like the whole button is not level with the phone. She hasn't complained but it bothered me.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Are you within the 14 day return period? If so then they have no choice

I am (and it's 30 days), but I'd rather do a warranty replacement than returning the phone then having to reserve it again hassle.

The whole button is sunk below the rest of the phone. Definitely think it's a flaw, but 'selling' that to them when it works fine is hard. I'll see what the genius says. I'll just 'threaten' to return the phone.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The whole button is sunk below the rest of the phone. Definitely think it's a flaw, but 'selling' that to them when it works fine is hard.

It's especially hard if you have the button covered with a skin. It's not designed to work that way. The button should not be covered like that.

wiivile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
It's especially hard if you have the button covered with a skin. It's not designed to work that way. The button should not be covered like that.

The skin is designed to cover the button to protect it from debris. It's worked fine on my previous iPhones cuz the home button is flush with the rest of the phone. But when the button is recessed, it won't 'push'.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I've noticed mine actually is just very slightly. When I run my finger over it, I can feel the edges of the glass all around the home button. It's only slightly bothersome. I honestly don't remember it's always been that way. It still works for me so I'm not going to do anything about it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
it works fine, you'll just get a phone that was a worse problem than "it's recessed a little" then you'll be going through like 20 phones a day like some of the other posters on here.

rushton2

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Ibiza
Mine is exactly like you described. It works. But it really bothers me and I would like to change it too.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
My dads iPhone 4 has that recessed button, but my iPhone 4S doesn't. I hate the way his home button feels. I know it's a minor problem, but it just doesn't feel right. It seems as if most of the floor model iPhone 5's in my area Apple Stores have recessed home buttons- not all, but the majority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.