Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
You really think it is the juror's responsibility to insist the judge not interrupt and ask questions? The guy started answering the question, the judge jumped on board and asked several follow ups on that circumstance and then pointedly moved on.

No that is not what I said at all. Before you accuse groklaw of bias maybe you should go back, read the post I actually wrote, and then analyze how exactly you could come to the conclusion that I believe that the juror should ask the judge not to interrupt or ask questions.

This is the way he should have answered: "Yes. I have been involved in three cases. Two in 1993 and one in 2008". Instead he screwed up and only talked about the 2008 case. To summarize my last post: If he'd just said that he screwed up the answer and didn't want to interrupt the judge to tell her then thats fine. Instead he tells us that he deliberately did not disclose that information because of a ten year disclosure limit that is nowhere to be found.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
No that is not what I said at all. Before you accuse groklaw of bias maybe you should go back, read the post I actually wrote, and then analyze how exactly you could come to the conclusion that I believe that the juror should ask the judge not to interrupt or ask questions.

This is the way he should have answered: "Yes. I have been involved in three cases. Two in 1993 and one in 2008". Instead he screwed up and only talked about the 2008 case. To summarize my last post: If he'd just said that he screwed up the answer and didn't want to interrupt the judge to tell her then thats fine. Instead he tells us that he deliberately did not disclose that information because of a ten year disclosure limit that is nowhere to be found.

That is ridiculous. There is no reason why a person is required to answer in such a manner. The person started explaining themselves and the judge chose to run with it and not properly follow up. That is all there is to it.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
That is ridiculous. There is no reason why a person is required to answer in such a manner. The person started explaining themselves and the judge chose to run with it and not properly follow up. That is all there is to it.

The man directly admitted to willfully withholding information in an interview for a reason that cannot be verified at this point. You seem to be willfully ignoring that fact ;)

Renzatic

Suspended
It's anything buy moot. If Samsung can show that the jury was biased because of material information that was with-held from the court, the decision will not hold. If the foreman is found to be deceptive and biased, and thus not acting in the courts interest, the jury finding will not matter.

Yeahhhh...good point. I guess you could say it's one reason among many why this case needs to be retried.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Pamela Jones built in excellent reputation over many years. Unfortunately, the reality today is that when Apple gets mentioned, she totally loses it. And if a previously excellent site has turned like Groklaw did, it is not just a matter of not reading it.

Sorry, but Pam is the same she's always been. Of course, since you didn't "side" with SCO back then, then you were not as "harmed" by her opinion as you are now with her comments about Apple.

Stop picking sides in fights and little jabs and opinions won't matter to you, you'll just gloss over them.

----------

The man directly admitted to willfully withholding information in an interview for a reason that cannot be verified at this point. You seem to be willfully ignoring that fact ;)

Let the courts decide. In the end, marksman can scream all he wants, it's up to Koh or the 9th circuit to judge on this.

----------

Just reading the latest information on this case she clearly has an axe to grind when it comes to apple.

Just like she had an axe to grind with SCO, with Microsoft, and tons of other litigious bastards that want to limit competition in the technologies markets. We've known for the last 10 years she's an open source proponent and opposes its adversaries.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I would say it does matter what the court instructions said. Whats the point in having court instructions if they are not meant to be followed. That would confuse the jury on what their job is suppose to be.
ANd I think this is supposedly the issue here. You have to follow the judges instructions as well as your juror's instructions. In this case he could not answer for ever and for the last 10 years only at the same time.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Do we even have a source on the 10 years thing ? Why do people keep coming back to it ? It seems to me it was made up on this very forum and now people are stating it as fact.

If Judge Koh is taking it under advisement, seems to me it's not as clear cut as some of you guys make it sound.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Do we even have a source on the 10 years thing ? Why do people keep coming back to it ? It seems to me it was made up on this very forum and now people are stating it as fact.

If Judge Koh is taking it under advisement, seems to me it's not as clear cut as some of you guys make it sound.

It was not something that was fabricated by the forums but a statement made by the jury foreman.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It was not something that was fabricated by the forums but a statement made by the jury foreman.

In other words, there's no official source on the 10 years. No court documents, no transcripts of hearings, etc... And with the fact this same foreman made up tests for prior art that are pure figments of his imagination and can't seem to keep his mouth shut in the media, seems to me everyone shouldn't put so much emphasis on that whole 10 years if that's the source uh ?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Some courts have prospective jurors fill out a jurors written questionare prior to the jury selection process. This questionare is considered a legal document which also must be signed.

If such a questionare was filled out it does not necessarily mean its going to be mentioned about its contents in the court transcripts.

All that will be reviewed by the judge.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Some courts have prospective jurors fill out a jurors written questionare prior to the jury selection process. This questionare is considered a legal document which also must be signed.

If such a questionare was filled out it does not necessarily mean its going to be mentioned about its contents in the court transcripts.

All that will be reviewed by the judge.

They will be public documents.

Why can't you accept that there is no proof of the 10 years timeframe?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
They will be public documents.

Why can't you accept that there is no proof of the 10 years timeframe?

Simply because I don't have the time or resources to get a hold of or review all the documents in the case to say such proof does not exist.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Fascinating?

It'll be really interesting to read what happens when the judge actually makes a decision based on her consideration. Nothing near so interesting as the conjecture that some folks craft so carefully here I'm sure, but probably a tad more valuable to those of us wondering.

RobertoCravallo

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Germany
You are not telling the truth.

"THE COURT: Okay. Welcome back. Please take a seat. We had a few more departures in your absence. Let's continue with the questions. The next question is, have you or a family member or someone very close to you ever been involved in a lawsuit, either as a plaintiff, a defendant, or as a witness?"

Source: http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20121002201632770
Someone quoting an actuall fact!! Wow, I am deeply impressed!!

Seems like most of the post here are just plain hearsay!

RobertoCravallo

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Germany
Do you have any evidence that no such time limit did not exist or that court instructions are required to be part of the transcript?

Laws for each state vary so to say, what one state might do, does not always apply in another state.

You are kidding, right? You try to argue against something there is a transcript of, with something there doesn't seem to be one. So in effect: Since it is not there, my GUESS must be true..... :eek:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You are kidding, right? You try to argue against something there is a transcript of, with something there doesn't seem to be one. So in effect: Since it is not there, my GUESS must be true..... :eek:

I believe they also had a conversation about bigfoot and area 51. I know it's not in the transcript - but that doesn't mean it had to be!

RobertoCravallo

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Germany
There is no problem on me. I have plenty of real basis to apply this reasoning. That's the way of doing business here in East Asia. There is very little innovation, plenty of copying. I'm not saying Sony or Nikon are copying, but the general idea of business in East Asia is to copy whatever others design. Intellectual property protection is nearly non-existent. The whole region reeks of Micky Mouse copies, Apple bite logos on sports shoes, Windows 7 Ultimate for one dollar on every street corner in broad daylight. I suspect it is you who is totally devoid of reason.
Wow, this is logic at it's best! So with your logic: All whites can't play basketball, women can't drive, etc. :confused:

----------

I really don't understand you. He was a asked a specific question and didn't answer it correctly. The judge has to assume that he told everything, otherwise they would still be picking jurors, right?

----------

i believe they also had a conversation about bigfoot and area 51. I know it's not in the transcript - but that doesn't mean it had to be!

love it! :cool:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

I think people are confused, such as yourself, on what I'm trying to say. I'm not necessarily going against what is in the transcripts but rather what may not be shown in them.

Transcripts are only a recording of spoken dialog and don't cover things like written legal paperwork or electronic documents. Just because we don't see it as a part of the transcripts doesn't mean it does not exist as a written document somewhere.
In a trial like this generates quite a lot of documents.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think people are confused, such as yourself, on what I'm trying to say. I'm not necessarily going against what is in the transcripts but rather what may not be shown in them.

Transcripts are only a recording of spoken dialog and don't cover things like written legal paperwork or electronic documents. Just because we don't see it as a part of the transcripts doesn't mean it does not exist as a written document somewhere.
In a trial like this generates quite a lot of documents.

Yep, you can see a list here, and even click on the PDFs to read them (motions, rulings, court orders, oppositions, replies, etc..) :

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=AppleSamsung

We know there are more than court hearing transcripts, a lot of the lawsuit is done through motions and few get actual hearings.

Now, you made a claim, you say "it could be in a document", you know what ? You want to state your claim as fact, you get to find the source and back it up, otherwise you're stating an opinion or hearsay, not actual verifiable facts.

And before you ask : No, it's not up to us to prove you wrong. You stated a fact, you get to back it up.

Renzatic

Suspended
I believe they also had a conversation about bigfoot and area 51. I know it's not in the transcript - but that doesn't mean it had to be!

Damnit, man. You know you're not supposed to talk about that. You're really starting to earn a reputation in the NSA as a prime source for intelligence leaks.

We were talking about you the other day at the Company picnic down at the secret FEMA reeducation camps underneath Denver International, and...oh shi...

Goddamnit, now you're making me do it. :mad:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Yep, you can see a list here, and even click on the PDFs to read them (motions, rulings, court orders, oppositions, replies, etc..) :

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=AppleSamsung Now, you made a claim, you say "it could be in a document", you know what ? You want to state your claim as fact, you get to find the source and back it up, otherwise you're stating an opinion or hearsay, not actual verifiable facts.

And before you ask : No, it's not up to us to prove you wrong. You stated a fact, you get to back it up.

As usual, you and your Samsung posse always seem to take everything I say as a fact rather then conjecture, then its on you.

I would rather wait to see if other facts not brought up in the transcripts, rather then relying on a bunch of armchair lawyers who think they know any and all inside knowledge about the case.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
As usual, you and your Samsung posse always seem to take everything I say as a fact rather then conjecture, then its on you.

I would rather wait to see if other facts not brought up in the transcripts, rather then relying on a bunch of armchair lawyers who think they know any and all inside knowledge about the case.

It was in the jury instructions. I believe the transcripts don't mention the 10 year limit when the judge asked the question. But either way I don't see how that matters. It was implied to the jury of the time limit when asking of any court cases in which they participated.

Putting the time limit in the jury instruction, then not adhering to that instruction is leading to jury confusion.

If that is the case, its not the fault of the jury but that of the courts and/or the judge.

Perhaps you treated that like a fact and you were the armchair lawyer who thinks that know any and all inside knowledge about the case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.