Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone notice their 4 is significantly warmer than the 3? I can't decide which one is the better screen. I'm thinking maybe the bluer screen of the 3 is less accurate.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
yes mine is, when i first turned it on i hated it, but the more i used it the more i realised that actually its much more accurate colour wise than the 3. I love it now.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Yep, noticed it immediately. Doesn't get as bright as third gen either without turning brightness up to almost the max. Didn't like it at all to begin with but now don't really mind it.

Do you observe the same behavior regarding the brightness?

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012

It's probably more of an optical effect. Blue display tend to look crisper and brighter than the warmer, more accurate ones. And slight variations of brightness and color reproduction between screens are normal, too.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Felt it in the store and damn that thing was hot! Surely it's been running for hours at a time in the stores with people pressing it to the max, but still it felt kinda wrong. Wonder if it's gonna flame up when being in case! :)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Felt it in the store and damn that thing was hot! Surely it's been running for hours at a time in the stores with people pressing it to the max, but still it felt kinda wrong. Wonder if it's gonna flame up when being in case! :)

I think the thread was about the colour of the screen (cool/warm) not the actual temperature of the ipad :p

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Yep, noticed it immediately. Doesn't get as bright as third gen either without turning brightness up to almost the max. Didn't like it at all to begin with but now don't really mind it.

I did notice that i have to have it almost 100% to get the same perceived brightness as i had on my 3 at 75%

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012

It's getting charged while being used constantly, probably on 100% brightness. Some heat is to be expected.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Yes, mine too. The brightness at max doesn't match max on the 3, and over the whole screen there is like a dullness or haze.

That said, comparing the two: the 3's tint isn't as even as the 4's

Looking at photos on both screens, while subtle, the iPad 3 wins every time. The detail stands out a bit more, it looks a bit smudged on the 4

Diagonally on a black screen, the 3 has a pink cast, the 4 purple.

At about 120°-170° looking up the screen, the 3 is still clear, the 4 hazed over.

The yellower screen on the 4 is softer on the eyes.

The 3 has more contrast than the 4 does, text stands out more.

However my 3 has some dust under the screen (near the button) and a slightly brighter patch (right vertical side, bout 1/5 way up) which can be noticeable when reading places like here.

With all of that I am not sure which screen I'd actually prefer to have at the moment. I do notice improvements in the 4 but the screen puts me off a bit, so strongly debating the staying with the 3 (with its flaws but better contrast/clarity), keeping the 4 (with the haze) or getting another 4 to compare it against the other 4.

Last edited:

Nezben

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
My 4th gen is warmer than my iPad 2 that i had. I would say the the 4th gen's screen is better calibrated. The colours look more natural and on the whole, the screen is just gorgeous.
No backlight bleed at all when brighness is on 50%.

Very pleased with it.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
See my post here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16267841/

Also probably worth mmentioning that it has nothing to do with moving over to the ipad 4. You could of just as easily started off with a yellow panel ipad 3 and then moved on to a blue/cold ipad 4. Just luck of the draw really.

Now that I think of it, I remember my Dell 24" monitor being very much warmer than my iMac screen. The Dell model I had was renowned for it's color accuracy, so maybe warmer is definitely more accurate.

I would have to say that judging by the general consensus, most 3 owners received a bluer panel while pretty much every 4th gen owner I've seen (read) has a more yellow tone. I don't think it's coincidental, because my Mini has (had, I'm returning it) a much warmer screen than my iP5 as well.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Now that I think of it, I remember my Dell 24" monitor being very much warmer than my iMac screen. The Dell model I had was renowned for it's color accuracy, so maybe warmer is definitely more accurate.

I would have to say that judging by the general consensus, most 3 owners received a bluer panel while pretty much every 4th gen owner I've seen (read) has a more yellow tone. I don't think it's coincidental, because my Mini has (had, I'm returning it) a much warmer screen than my iP5 as well.

i was sent a replacement 4 (for different reasons than the screen) and the screen was very blue, and had dust under it, so i sent it back. There are blue ones out there, yellow one seem more common.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
My 4 is definitely warmer than my 2 was, and also warmer/yellower than my iPhone 4S. The display is much crisper and about the same warmth as my wife's iPad 3, but then she never cleans her screen :rolleyes:

Overall I am very happy with the screen. Now I'm debating whether to return it for a cellular model...:D

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
We got another iPad 4 this evening to see if it was better, and for the most part it was.

The colour was much yellower than the other iPad 4, making the first one just look bluer/greyer in comparison (and closer to the iPad 3 than it fist seemed). That was fine, I prefer the tone, easier on the eyes, contrast was great and it didn't have the haze the first one had (hard viewing angles were very clear). Big Thumbs Up.

The bugger is that there was visible bleed down the left edge and along the bottom which meant that the top left had a paler cast (particularly noticeable in the Safari address bar or Settings) and the bottom left had a darker cast (again Settings showed this).

Neither are great, though plus as they didn't have dust under the screen or dead pixels. It disturbs me a bit that the nearest to perfect iPad screen I have is for the iPad 2.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
There are blue ones out there like it was said before...I bought a white from apple then a black from best buy (both 4's). The white one was way white but images weren't as sharp as the black which isn't as white.but sharp as my old 3

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My 4 shifted over 2 weeks from a warm to a more neutral-to-warm ... looks great to me, matches my IPS Viewsonic.

Love the 4, good enough upgrade over my 3 for the ~$150 for nearly 7 months of service. :)

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Love the 4, good enough upgrade over my 3 for the ~$150 for nearly 7 months of service. :)

Agreed. The difference paid to me was worth the cable consistency (I hate using two different chargers) alone.

One thing that bugs me though is Apple's manufacturing consistency. It sounds like they literally go to suppliers and say "Okay, who is going to give me lowest price this month. You, yellow? How about you, blue?"

liam1981

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
I was just wondering Can anybody give me some information My iPad 4 Seems to be getting warm down the one side The Left hand side On the white Border On the side with no Side buttons Some help would be much appreciated

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
If it still bothers you, jailbreak and install f.lux which lets you adjust the color temp of the screen.

That or Springtomize which lets you customize pretty much every aspect of iOS. I made my iPad mini screen much cooler than stock, love it that much more!

I dialed down the red to about 95% and green to 92% keeping blue at 100%, now it reminds me allot of my iPad 2 screen which was brilliant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.