Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

payup

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I might be picking on things too much, but what exactly happens at 0:20 of the books ad? iPad mini is removed from the frame, yet next frame is focused on it. Why not remove the big iPad out of the picture, and zoom in on the mini?

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
They said the same thing about the iPad 3...it would be heavier, thicker, have a shorter battery life and be more expensive...
The iPad 3/4 is heavier, thicker, and has a shorter battery life than the iPad 2. And it is more expensive than the 2 - now - but I'll give you credit for 1 out of 4 points.

Ok it showed a part of a movie in the commercial, but "cheated" by showing the 4:3 version
They didn't "cheat." They double-tapped the movie and it filled the screen.

I might be picking on things too much, but what exactly happens at 0:20 of the books ad? iPad mini is removed from the frame, yet next frame is focused on it. Why not remove the big iPad out of the picture, and zoom in on the mini?
The mini is picked up from the table. So the next frame is the mini in someone's hand.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
love the photo ad. really nice! my pref is photo>piano>book.

It is a lower DPI, but only because they quite literally shrunk an iPad 2 screen, and its UI, down to a 7.8" screen. Which also brings up ergonomic issues...

mm...just curious, have u actually tried one?:confused: i have tried a few times in apple shop. res is not good but thats because i am using retina now. the second time i went, i guess my expectation was a little lower...and it was a delight to use it. and yes, i have ordered.

----------

Ok it showed a part of a movie in the commercial, but "cheated" by showing the 4:3 version

eh? u can fill the screen with double tap, isnt it?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I guess I am biased, but these commercials look to be some of the best commercials Apple has made in a while.

At least they got rid or fired whoever were responsible for those Olympic ads.

Oh you people are mad. The genius on the plane ad was entertaining. This new iBooks ad was 30 of the most boring seconds I've ever experienced. I had to check that it was only a 30 second ad because it felt longer.

a.aaa-Good-night-D.jpg

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Oh you people are mad. The genius on the plane ad was entertaining. This new iBooks ad was 30 of the most boring seconds I've ever experienced. I had to check that it was only a 30 second ad because it felt longer.

Not mad. They just have taste. The Olympic ads were crass and pandering.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
80-90% of things people do on the ipad you can't tell much difference between an ipad3 retina and an ipad 2 screen. The issues are even less of an issue when you shrink the screen down to ipad2 screen.

That's what I thought when I first saw iPad 3" "Not much difference.." But when you used iPad Retina for a while, and you go back to iPad 2, you can tell the difference, and it is night and day. The new iPad Mini with its higher pixel density than iPad 2 still looks drab, and drained of lively colors. It is not just the resolution that you get with iPad Retina. The contrast, the colors, and the smoothness of the fonts: all in one amazing package. Even snapshots from digital compact cameras and iPad's own humble little camera look sharp, and properly exposed. Apple is doing something more to those pixels you see.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Got my first chance to touch the new iPad mini today and OMG it's light and really does feel good in your hand (not hands). And really I didn't notice the low-res screen. I'd seriously consider one in the new new... might wait until June for the retina update :D

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
Uncomfortably holding it with one hand, while turning pages with the other doesn't really make a good e-reader.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
You don't know that.
Yes I do.

To get a similar level of brightness on the iPad 3 as is on the iPad 2, the backlight strength had to be increased which in turn increases power consumption. The iPad 2's display uses only 2.7 watts an hour at max brightness, yet the 3's display uses 7 watts.

To compensate for that Apple had to increase the battery capacity from 25 Whr in the iPad 2 to 42.5 Whr in the iPad 3, which in turn increased weight by about 50g.

Now, the mini's display uses 2.3 watts an hour at max brightness, and only has a 16.3 Whr battery.

So it literally can't handle the power consumption of a Retina display, which would take the display's power consumption up to ~6 watts an hour. And then you'd need the A5X SoC which uses up even more power as well. Even if Apple managed to cram in a 25 Whr battery into the mini, which would add more weight, it's still not enough. They'd need at least a 35 Whr battery.

Not to mention heat output from both the display and SoC which would be substantial in such a thin device.

The only way a Retina display will make its way to the mini is if Apple can get power consumption down low enough. Hopefully that will be possible with an IGZO display.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Not mad. They just have taste. The Olympic ads were crass and pandering.

As opposed to the new iBooks ad… which is just plain old dull and boring.

Got my first chance to touch the new iPad mini today and OMG it's light and really does feel good in your hand (not hands). And really I didn't notice the low-res screen.

I agree with your first comment. I was surprised by how much I liked the size. It's super light, and the new profile is much nicer to hold than the previous generation of sharp edges. But the screen is a deal-breaker for me.

So IMO Apple has an odd iPad lineup right now, with no models that really hit the sweet-spot—a beautifully designed mini, with an ordinary screen and previous generation performance; an iPad 2, which is pretty outdated in all respects; and a fourth gen iPad with fantastic screen and performance, but which feels heavy and awkward to hold in comparison to the new mini. Apple's holding out on us until the next round, so I'll be holding onto my cash for now.

Wingsy

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
Ding ding...was going to say the same thing.

They would have crushed it with putting retina on this...everyone knows it's coming...ridiculous they left it off.

They also left off 50 additional dollars from the price tag. Wait a year, and you'll get retina for the same current price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.