Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Do it! Then I can snicker at the same guys that told us we were babies for crying about the iPad 4 coming out so soon :)

Thatcher

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Pontefract UK
Even if they are starting to trial the iPhone 5S which i personally doubt, i wouldn't be surprised as look what happened with the iPad 3rd/4th Gen. There was only a 6 month gap between them.

It could happen within the next 6 months for sure.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This is actually pretty much what I meant. I don't think they would actually name it the iPhone 5s, that may well be commentary by the rumourmonger.

Given demand it's questionable if they actually do need to. But I didn't mean a processor upgrade, more along the lines of a quiet bump to the camera to improve the fringing issues, faster or more storage memory (where Apple has been enjoying insane margins that they may have to accept aren't really sustainable if they need to sweeten a deal), the updated Qualcomm chipset in order to give more 4G bands support. Apple are very good at selling improvements in experience over "raw" specs.

Entirely possible.

Agreed. But I think if they're going to go up in weight and change the colour, they might well bite the bullet and address the battery issue.

I think the update to 4G band support will be one of the major selling points for the 5S as in some countries there is still no coverage. It has been reported that the yields on the current 5 are improving as new production processes are figured out and I think it has been a wake up call for the Apple designers that they need to get a lot more production engineering done on new products. This is my main reason for thinking that this is simply a 5S prototype going to early limited production testing. I suspect that the problems with the 5 would have been mitigated if earlier production engineering had happened and they had had more time to tweak the design after production problems had been discovered. Though I also think there was an element of Foxconn just quoting to unit production time too low in the first place and Apple not being made aware of the problems until too late, although this is only my opinion it is based on common problems I have witnessed with suppliers in the past.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
It's really silly to see subtle improvement for 5s - which we may or may not notice anything difference?

Anyway who care as long I'm happy with iPhone 5 - It's still pretty awesome for my needs, I shall wait in next couple of years for iPhone 6 :D hopefully i should get something brand new features...

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
You can use Three's 4G network when it launches - they bought spectrum from EE.

That's true, although Three's 4G launch is slated for September 2013, so it's another long wait.

Is there not also some debate about how efficient the 1800mhz frequency (that used by EE & 3) is indoors?

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

I've never visited an Android fan forum before, this is the closest thing to it (other than places like Engadget) and wow, people cream their pants over any negative Apple news. The really awful thing is that I recognise so many of the same comments here in this Apple fan forum, the spill over from there to here is unbelievable.

This whole competition thing is really juvenile (and very tribal) if you ask me, people deriving some sort of personal value from the status of a product company they have "aligned with?" I wonder if these people who want Apple (or Samsung, pick your side) to burn in hell and die a slow death (as they do) get their wish, a lot of really good ordinary hard working people will be out of a job, what just so you can feel better about yourself? Is that really what these people want?

Sorry, that was a bit of a soapbox rant, but I just can't understand people so wrapped up in a dream of the demise of something.

Perhaps Apple is preparing a new class of iPhones? Now that they have two iPads, perhaps they will introduce second type of iPhone... 5'' 1920x1280 screen iPhone Max or something like that.

I'd rather they produce an iPhone nano.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Faster releases would mean for people no longer having the top and newest model after each release.

Personally I want to have all the time the newest iPhone, but faster releases would make it impossible.

On the other hand, someone who buys a new iPhone every two years, without checking any rumours, just going to a shop and buying a new iPhone on the 12th of November 2010, 2012, 2014, and so on, has a good chance of getting a better phone.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Um...no?

If it were a 2X speed upgrade like all the past ones have been, I don't see how that'd be possible with current technology. The battery couldn't handle it. And I think they're smarter than doing a 6 month upgrade cycle.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I guess I expect them to move up the yearly iPhone launch, to separate it more from the tablet launch (which looks like it will be moved from Spring to Fall...which is best, since the iPad sells like bonkers at Christmas). A Spring/early Summer launch of the iPhone 5S makes sense.

What's taking the place of the Spring iPad launch? The upcoming Apple Television/DVR, of course.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
How is it that low-yields on the iPhone 5 would mean that ramping up the iPhone 5S now for an earlier-than-expected release would make sense? The only thing that early testing on the iPhone 5 would mean is that they want to begin producing the iPhone 5S much earlier before launch to really have monster opening weekend (i.e.: stockpile tons of units before hand).

Apple maybe recognized that they could have capitalized on the media hype surrounding a gigantic launch and so they know they need to enter production earlier to stockpile tons of iPhone 5 units in a warehouse prior to launch. In order to enter mass production of iPhone 5 they need to have the final model tested at an earlier date.

All this would mean is that the much of the drag we are seeing on iPhone 5 supply is likely coming from insane demand rather than lower-than-iPhone-4S yields.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
IF a new iPhone is on the way, then its a radical change for Apple.
Simply because iPhone is a software product, not a hardware product.

Each new phone have had a new version of iOS. Iphone4S was even delayed almost 4 months because of iOS delays.

The Ipad3 bump was logical since the original iPad3 should never have been released. The A5X SoC was a desperate measure by Tim Cook to realise something to make the market happy. This is the sad thing about the New Apple. Steve would never have released iPad3 until it was finished.

The rumour is that TSMC test run of A6 SoCs failed at 28nm. The reason for why A6 was not ready at iPad3 launch.

Oshawapilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Courtice Ontario Canada
The increasingly rapid product refresh cycle with Apple is a real "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation for Apple, IMHO.

If they sit on their hands and wait a year between refresh cycles with the iPad/iPhone like they used to people will decry the "slow pace" and complain that Apple is asleep at the switch and is going to get "destroyed by the competition".

If they refresh more frequently, anyone who bought the previous model (or hell, recently, even 2 previous models) will bitch and moan because they suddenly don't have the latest and greatest.

Here's a thought - DON'T UPGRADE. Really, the 5S (if that's even what comes out) will be an incremental upgrade from the 5, much the same as the 4S was to the 4. Just wait for the 6 instead....sit back, relax, and don't get your boxers in a twist.

Incremental upgrades should be about attracting NEW customers to a phone platform, or finally getting people who are a few versions behind to finally move up. They shouldn't be about the "OMG MY IPHONE5 IS OBSOLETE, OMG MUST UPGRADE NOW!" fanaticism.

This whole competition thing is really juvenile (and very tribal) if you ask me, people deriving some sort of personal value from the status of a product company they have "aligned with?"

Couldn't agree more. The Android crowd seems particularly vehemently proud of their ability to bash anything Apple, to the point of immaturity. They're less concerned with their own platform versus the competition, mainly, Apple.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Well, we already know what incremental hardware upgrades are on their roadmap, so it's pretty unexciting to follow no matter the timeframe. I am more interested in if they take the opportunity to spice up iOS 7 instead.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
PLEASE make a 4.5"-4.8" TRUE 16:9 iPhone.

The small screens are killing Apple, yet they dont make a move.

if there was anyway I could run iOS on that Sammy Galaxy S3, I would leave my iPhone in a heartbeat.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Considering the ever nimbler competition, maybe Apple is moving to half-year product cycle - both for iPad and iPhone? Tic-toc could still work fine, release one new product, then half a year later updated "S" product. Then a new product again. I wouldn't mind that. A whole year is quite long in tehcnology these days.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
If an iPhone5S launches in January there will be a lot of pretty hacked off people.

fail apple: iphone yearly cycle lets the competition copy you and pass you on specs soon after your release!

fail apple: iphone release shortly after the last release is bad, bacause you know, is too soon, because..., i don't know, too soon, that's all...

the consumer is never at fault for being... shall we say, self centered with a sense of entitlement that only applies to apple poducts?

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
It's all good, I'm used to upgrading before eligibility time and selling off the previous model to make up the difference by now.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
The S is for 'Six', it's the iPhone 5 Six. One week later they will announce the iPhone 5 Six S. The S is for 'Seven'.

No, I think at this point the S is for 'silly', or perhaps as far as this rumour goes, 'suspect'.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
PLEASE make a 4.5"-4.8" TRUE 16:9 iPhone.

The small screens are killing Apple, yet they dont make a move.

if there was anyway I could run iOS on that Sammy Galaxy S3, I would leave my iPhone in a heartbeat.

How are small screens killing Apple exactly? I mean its not like you can just walk into any store and pick up an iPhone 5. Apple online store still showing 3-4 weeks for shipping.

Personally I don't want a huge phone. That's what tablets are for. I can't imagine I'm the only out there who doesn't care for a 4.5-4.8 phone.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Well, if they push the iPhone 5s out faster then normal. I'd expect it to come out in April or May so kids could get it as a graduation gift and also so they could show it off over summer vacation. I'm guessing it will have speed bump processor, slightly faster gnu, maybe better LTE coverage with up spec outward facing camera and better scratch resistant backs.

I'm thinking I'll hold out till iPhone 6 that way I can stay on even numbers. lol I have a 4 now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.