Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

I took my 2010 27" iMac into the Apple Store on Monday and got it back today (Friday) with a replaced screen as it had a yellow tint.

I have it setup at home again only to see it has the same issue again. Its really hard to see when the iMac is alone, but when its beside my Cinema Display, its day and night and drives me nuts!

Anyone have experience with:
1. This issue?
2. Replacing your computer with Apple?
3. Have any advice?

Thanks.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
They are as they came. I have played around with Apple built in calibration utility, but had no luck. Those physical calibrators are expensive! Would they really do the trick?

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Yellow tint was a known issue, reported with some of the earlier 27" iMacs. They probably used one of those panels for the job, and you got unlucky.

Take it back.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Yellow tint was a known issue, reported with some of the earlier 27" iMacs. They probably used one of those panels for the job, and you got unlucky.

Take it back.

Are these faulty displayed still being produced then? You would think this has been phased out. Do the latest iMacs get this sometimes as well then?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
They are as they came. I have played around with Apple built in calibration utility, but had no luck. Those physical calibrators are expensive! Would they really do the trick?

They would sort out the problem (assuming you don't have a faulty). Can you borrow one from somebody? Work or camera clubs might have one (depending on what you are into)

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
So I've taken my iMac back to the Apple Store today for the second time as recommended by the manager to have it checked again after its repair (screen replacement).

To paraphrase the geniuses kind words, he effectively said, all iMacs have a slightly different hue, I see no issue, tough.

So I've brought my iMac home rather disgruntled and hacked off. I understand my display is uniform, but sitting next to my Dads iMac and my cinema display, the difference is day and night! The yellow tint is definitely there and drives me insane.

Not only this, they told me in store that they replaced my screen originally as part of good will to keep me happy. So great, they held my only work computer back to 5 days to replace the display, when it would make no difference but was just good will... Great waste of my week when I could have been working.

Now that I have been shunned by my local store, any suggestions to get this resolved? I'd rather not drop the money on a physical calibrator, I've not heard brilliant things.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Your not going to get much sympathy from Apple on a 2 year old iMac. You should have taken it in the week you bought it. Try calling Apple customer care.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Your not going to get much sympathy from Apple on a 2 year old iMac. You should have taken it in the week you bought it. Try calling Apple customer care.

I would have, only the issue only became apparent after buying my cinema display. Besides, it still has a year of AppleCare warranty. I will do tomorrow, I know Apple are usually exemplary with customer service but I was just quite shocked at how dismissive they were of me and the issue.

swooshgirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
imac screen - yellow tinge and spot plus grey line too...

my yellow spot is so bad, i haven't seen a worse one online yet.... when i rang up to make an appointment with genius bar they said it wasn't a known fault! so we see what they say about it at the weekend. my imac is nearly 2 years old and is the 27 inch screen... i am mightily disillusioned with my apple love and for the moment have renamed 'crapple'... i would have been at least feeling respected had the 'genuis' i spoke to, who was also the manager, had at least admitted the known issues with yellow tinges and spots on the screen.

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 406
  • -2.jpg
    -2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 441
  • -3.jpg
    -3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 420

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Hi

I took my 2010 27" iMac into the Apple Store on Monday and got it back today (Friday) with a replaced screen as it had a yellow tint.

I have it setup at home again only to see it has the same issue again. Its really hard to see when the iMac is alone, but when its beside my Cinema Display, its day and night and drives me nuts!

Anyone have experience with:
1. This issue?
2. Replacing your computer with Apple?
3. Have any advice?

Thanks.

I have a 2008 iMac with yellow tint and screen retention & burn issue. This is alone the reason it was my first and last iMac. I love the computer and form factor, but the screen went from nice to hell in a short period of time.

I also have screen retention, so If I leave a window up there without any movement it will still show if I move/hide that window. I also have dark areas over 60% of the screen. I have an external hardware calibrator and never was able to get rid of the yellow tint (spyder3).

the dvd also died on me and I still use the computer but having a screen that I can't replace is bad.

If I buy another one, it will be the mini, the 'Pro' is too expensive.

Ctrl2k

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
My brand new 27" 2012 iMac has a yellow tint towards the bottom of the screen, so the problem is alive and well. Though in this model it seems rare...

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
My brand new 27" 2012 iMac has a yellow tint towards the bottom of the screen, so the problem is alive and well. Though in this model it seems rare...

Exchange it. End of story. Maybe if enough people do it they'll buckle down on QA and try to cut down on it.

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Same problem here...just got my new 27" and it seems like it has a yellow tint towards the bottom of the screen.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
After getting a new 2013 15" MBPr i have noticed my late 09 27" iMac 3 years old, backround has a yellow tint compared to the macbook which is white. Is that something that happens over time or something from new i never noticed lol. Text is crap on it too. makes a good tv, video though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.