Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
i want to compile a list of authentic, original design iphone 5 aluminum bumpers. i'm not looking for the fake ones such as those from caseswill etc like the dracos, vapors, blades and so on.

i know these:

i favor the alloy x because it's so thin and weighs only 6 grams.

do you know other non-fake aluminum bumpers from more or less established and known manufacturers? please contribute to the list. thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GMArthur

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Looks like the Element and Karas Kustoms cases are the only ones that would not be signal killers. The use of plastic somewhere in the construction seems like the way to go. Just a guess though.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
would love to see how each option effects reception.

I believe, if the metal doesn't touch the perimeter band (with foam padding Etc.) and if the glass parts of the back aren't covered, reception should not be significantly effected.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I believe, if the metal doesn't touch the perimeter band (with foam padding Etc.) and if the glass parts of the back aren't covered, reception should not be significantly effected.

Not true. If you surround the band with unbroken metal, regardless of whether it touches the phone, it creates a Faraday cage that significantly drops signal. There needs to be a break somewhere in the metal to avoid this.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Thought I read somewhere that the antennas are behind the back glass now and not the band? I certainly can be wrong I usually am ask my gf...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.