Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
External forces are aligning the stars back to summer iPhone refresh.....
2013 has more serious competition:
1) Windows 8 phones just now trickling out
2) Blackberry 10 platform set for Jan 30th 2013 (for now)
3) Android - Samsung Galaxy S4 1st Qtr 2013

Also Apple has the traditional Spring iPad March hoopla/launch out of the way. And most early 4S buyers will be eligible for a full upgrade by May 2013. Can't lose them to any of the above.....

I think number 3 is their biggest worry.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I think number 3 is their biggest worry.

the thing with the 3 is the price. it's going to be as low as $1 on contract this black friday.

my mom was talking about an iphone but now she's going to buy 2 Galaxy S3's next week instead

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
A battle they will certainly lose AGAIN. The iPhone 5s or 6 will come out and not have what the S3 has now. Sad from Apple.

At the rate the s line is getting more popular Apple has to seriously up their game. (Whether macrumors readers like the phone or not)

Last edited:

jam3andy

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
fix the current one first

I'd prefer they work the bugs out of the 5 first. After nearly 60 days, push of exchange email still doesn't work (with iOS 6.0.1). Maybe it's not widespread, but it's not a phantom problem. Just check the support communities.

I never thought I ever have to seriously consider returning an Apple product because it didn't perform a basic function, but that's where I'm at with this iP5.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
The way how apple's been conducting business..it's possible.
to apple: that ain't cool, fool.

ad1815

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
This is totally BS - isn't iphone 5 fast enough? The next generation iphone will keep using the A6 chip.

Jotbolger

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
This might explain the weird guarantees the likes of O2 are giving in the UK. The iPhone 5 doesn't/won't work on their 4G networks when the arrive because they'll be in a frequency band not supported by the iPhone 5. If you get an iPhone 5 from O2, they are promising a free upgrade to a '4G phone' once their 4G networks roll out. Since the iPhone 5 IS a 4G phone, albeit incompatible with O2's 4G, perhaps this is a hint that the iPhone 5S is due for release about the time their network rolls out (I believe it's been brought forward to around the beginning of Q2 2013) :cool:

Imacer99

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Apple getting out of control and GREEDY...

People I still have my 4S and waiting for the 6 won't be long, the way Apple is going. They just want more money. Apple getting so GREEDY these days.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Just so I understand. Apple can't get the Iphone 5 made fast enough. So they are going to start production on the 5S earlier. But this article thinks they are doing that to launch early? Isn't that completely against the idea that they can't get the phones built fast enough? Wouldn't they start early to stock up on supplies?

Weird conclusions.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Plus - NFC would be a total waste. It's rare to even find a merchant locally who has it and this is in a city of millions of people.

I suspect they made do an iPhone5 rev 2 but it's a bit early yet for iphone5s.

Well here in Krakow is everywhere and prob all over europe. But still can't software to use it for my phone eg. Google wallet. But if Apple had nfc I think the banks will be all over it.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I figured when the 5 came out that we wouldn't see a 5S (ie just a 5 but faster (and maybe with a better camera)), instead we'd see quite a big change, which would presumably be called a 6 and may necessitate a hardware redesign, when they added the things that were rumoured for the 5 but didn't make it (fingerprint, perhaps NFC).

I'm not sure if this predicted time-scale supports or debunks that theory, or neither. I still think it seems unlikely that we won't get either of those things until 2014.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I bet the 5S will be launched in the Spring.

...if so, man...what a change.

After the iPad3/4 update, then that.....what's next?

Cavemen problems:

Chisel my messages in stone with another harder stone hammer.

Had my neighbor make me hammer. Neighbor copies my hammer.

Bashing his head in with my original hammer, because he made a bigger hammer one can see better and he said he didn't copy it. Liar!

No more problems.

Discovered metal 3 weeks later, now what am I going to do with my trusted stone chisel and stone hammer?

Metal shaves off too fast .

Discovered harder metal, but can't get enough hard metal, what now?

Who is holding back my hard metal? Must be millions in some grotto
someplace.

Skip a few years:

Machines were invented.

Can chisel with compressed air tool.

Bought compressor from Sears, more powerful compressor comes out a week later on sale $^&$%& Sears, I'll take my other compressor back.

E-mail invented

$^%$% everybody I am throwing out my stones and chisels

Everywhere we look , tremendous problems since cavemen days........

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
WTF? I just bought my iPhone 5. Stop trying to hustle people Apple and I bet nothing new is going to be on iPhone 5s.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'd prefer they work the bugs out of the 5 first. After nearly 60 days, push of exchange email still doesn't work (with iOS 6.0.1). Maybe it's not widespread, but it's not a phantom problem. Just check the support communities.

I never thought I ever have to seriously consider returning an Apple product because it didn't perform a basic function, but that's where I'm at with this iP5.

works fine for me

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
With the way the stock is headed down the crapper, they had better release something in the spring.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I wonder if they can make this one have a screen with as good a colour balance as my iPhone 4 rather than this piss yellow tinted 5 I have! That would be lovely.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
People don't seem to complain when other manufactures come out with the "tech of the month". Why complain when/if Apple does it?

I'm hoping for this. It would be the right time to upgrade from my trusty 3GS.
The difference is the other tech companies inform everyone of whats being released. They give the name and all the specs in advance......so you can make an informed buying decision.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
Yea a July launch seems plausible. Apple certainly aren't afraid to piss of their customers a la iPad 4!

Stig McNasty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
SNIP they haven't announced when we'll get coverage (Norwich) and to be honest, talking to people who seem to understand about this, the frequencies that will be auctioned off next year are much better than EE's (speed and building-penetration).

That's how I read it. the 1800mhz frequency is not the best indoors. As for 4G national availability, who knows when it'll get outside the big conurbations? The one thing EE's 4G hype seems to have done is force O2 to improve their 3G. I've been getting 3G at home and elsewhere when I was usually stuck on Edge, miraculously coinciding with EE's 4G rollout - which is nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.