Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Is there any drawback to signing up for a 2 year contact for the iPad? Granted, the most obvious one is being locked into something for 2 years. Most cellular companies want a part of your life, two years at a time. I figure this one will be around for at least a couple of years so it might not hurt to get the $100.00 discount while getting a plan that I would have anyway. What do you think?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Does the 2 year contract require you to have a data plan on the iPad every month? If so, it may not be worth it. If you just buy the cellular iPad, you can turn it on when you'd like to use it and not be forced to have it on every month.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Yes, a data plan is required. I'm going with the LTE iPad because I like the freedom to have a connection where ever I am and not have to rely on WiFi. One of the press releases about it -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57547561-94/at-t-shaves-$100-off-ipad-with-two-year-contract/

One thing that I don't know is what happens if I get rid of this version in 12-18 months. The discount is only $100.00 so the fee can't be that much.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's always nice to save $100, you just have to ask yourself if you plan to use LTE every month. If you are one of those users who use the iPad mostly at home or are in a city with lots of free wifi spots...and rarely use cellular, it might not be.

I am grandfathered into AT&T's unlimited data plan for the first gen iPad. I will transfer it to the iPad mini when I get it. It's worth it for me cause I use the cellular service on the train commute to work every day.

I ditched my cell phone over a year ago and make free VoIP cAlls and texts on my iPad. The mini will be even better as a phone replacement since its not much larger than some of the new smartphones out there. I tested it at the apple store, and the mini fits into my back jeans pocket or coat pocket very easily. Take THAT greedy telecom companies! :)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Yes, a data plan is required. I'm going with the LTE iPad because I like the freedom to have a connection where ever I am and not have to rely on WiFi. One of the press releases about it -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57547561-94/at-t-shaves-$100-off-ipad-with-two-year-contract/

One thing that I don't know is what happens if I get rid of this version in 12-18 months. The discount is only $100.00 so the fee can't be that much.

You'd be surprised.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I called AT&T to get the scoop about what would happen if I sell the iPad 12 months down the road. The fee would be pro-rated so I'd have to pay $50.00. I'll probably have this one around for awhile so it will be worth it for me. Between the discount and picking it up at a store in a state that doesn't have sales tax, I'll save just over $150.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.