Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamillalusa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
I did search on Google, it seems that is is a common problem :)

My cat just loves to sit on my 5th gen Airport Extreme.

It does not affect wifi signal much but I wonder what kind of weight could this device support? :)

My cat is only 5 months old, I assume she will get heavier one day...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
House cats generally don't get heavier than 20 pounds. The Airport Extreme's design allows it to be able to withstand about 40 pounds of central weight and about 60 pounds of distributed weight.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

It does not affect wifi signal much but I wonder what kind of weight could this device support? :)
Apple - AirPort Extreme - Technical Specs
ScreenCap 2012-11-01 at Thu, Nov 1,11.33.46 AM .PNG

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D

I seriously doubt it can cause any problems.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
if the wifi does not extend as far as you thought it should...remember the kitty dampening factor. For max coverage, put all airports as high as possible...or even put the new ones flat on the wall.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
if the wifi does not extend as far as you thought it should...remember the kitty dampening factor. For max coverage, put all airports as high as possible...or even put the new ones flat on the wall.

Adaptor for affixing kitty to AE ?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Animal rights groups would disappove of "affixing" kitty to anything. ;)

Quite right too.

Let's have a Pretty Kitty contest with pets sitting on AE's.
My entry will follow as soon as I can get mine to sit still long enough.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
This reminds me of the "If not for sits, why is it made of warm?" meme out there...

Also, beautiful cat, thanks for sharing. Love the "what???" expression on her face :p

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I did search on Google, it seems that is is a common problem :)

My cat is only 5 months old, I assume she will get heavier one day...

My cats don't sit on it because it's not in a location that's conducive to cat lounging. In your case I wouldn't worry about the weight or the signal. My only concern would be that the Airport would overheat and fail prematurely with a cat sleeping on on it blocking the heat dissipation through the top. I already had an Airport die of excess heat and that was without any cats sitting on it. Apple, however was good about replacing it.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Ahh yes, or the Cat Docking Station as my Time Capsule is known as, due to the high affinity of my cats for sitting/lying on it.

Don't worry, it won't hurt the device, and it keeps the mogs happy.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Directly coupled non-ionizing radiation can't be good.
But hey it's your cat.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Directly coupled non-ionizing radiation can't be good.
But hey it's your cat.

What? You're saying it's dangerous for the cat to sit ontop of the Airpor Extreme?

If serious, please explain.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it could be dangerous for cats or other animals. Just keep an eye on your kitties and make sure they're not getting hurt by sitting on or near the AirPort Extreme.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.