Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun selling the iOS-enabled Fender Squier Strat guitar on its Online Store, adding to its collection of app-enabled accessories.

usbguitar.jpg
The $199.95 guitar has USB and iOS connectivity built-in, designed to allow recording directly into GarageBand on the Mac, iPhone and iPad. The USB output on the guitar is a USB Mini-B and a USB-mini to 30-pin adapter is included in the box, meaning users with a Lightning port on their iOS devices will need a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter.

The Squier by Fender Stratocaster guitar offers bi-directional audio streaming and includes a high-quality headphone amp so that you can monitor the processed guitar signal right from the guitar itself. Thanks to the guitar's own audio interface, you can record audio straight to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac--no additional hardware needed. And the analog output means you're also free to use this as a standard guitar.
Via 9to5Mac

Article Link: Apple Online Selling iPhone-Enabled Fender Strat Guitar

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Why is the guitar not rechargeable and piping signal out via a Bluetooth or wifi link?

Is there some technical reason that one in this day and age still has to schlepp around and be tethered to cables?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Why is the guitar not rechargeable and piping signal out via a Bluetooth or wifi link?

Is there some technical reason that one in this day and age still has to schlepp around and be tethered to cables?

In this case it seems cables make more sense than wifi, but I think I'd prefer bluetooth over cables.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF

Price point I'd guess - $199 is pretty tight

ps - love the 20th Congress...

glowdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Kenosha, WI

Because even the smallest bit of lag is unacceptable for a guitarist. Instant feedback is pretty much required when you're playing an instrument, especially if you're LEARNING to play that instrument.

Bluetooth would be bad enough. WiFi? Hah!

Smallworld69

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Because even the smallest bit of lag is unacceptable for a guitarist. Instant feedback is pretty much required when you're playing an instrument, especially if you're LEARNING to play that instrument.

Bluetooth would be bad enough. WiFi? Hah!

Um, Bluetooth, as well as wifi would offer lag in the low hundred MILISECOND range... Not enough time that the human ear would make much of distinction that there is lag. It is definitely a price/technology issue, NOT a lag issue...

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
In this case it seems cables make more sense than wifi, but I think I'd prefer bluetooth over cables.

Ignoring for a moment the really crappy guitar in question, it's all about performance. Most of the cheap USB interfaces on the market are too slow to use without introducing latency, wifi or Bluetooth would result in both increased latency and decreased audio fidelity. Cable is a must.

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
Um, Bluetooth, as well as wifi would offer lag in the low hundred MILISECOND range... Not enough time that the human ear would make much of distinction that there is lag. It is definitely a price/technology issue, NOT a lag issue...

You are obviously not a musician or involved in audio engineering in any way. Any latency above ten or twenty milliseconds is *quite* noticeable.

A hundred milliseconds of latency would make an instrument completely unusable.

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow

Really? You'll not find single audio interface, even costing thousands, offering connectivity over Bluetooth or wifi.

You'll also find that almost all the dock connector ipad interfaces which are going over a line in connection introduce unacceptable latency. It's very disconcerting to hit the string and hear the note fractionally afterwards. I use the apogee jam which is pretty decent.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
For the record, the article title is wrong. They are selling a Squier Strat, not a Fender Strat. This will be a guitar built by a third party guitar manufacturer (in China, natch) to Squier specs. There is nothing "Fender" about this guitar except Squier's use of the parent company's trademark body shape, headstock shape, pickguard design, etc.

It does add to the cost, and there are lot of other technical considerations. Latency can be a killer. IMO, Bluetooth would be way too slow. Also, the 2.4 GHz WiFi spectrum is too crowded already for many home users. Building the USB interface into the guitar is a reasonable step IMO for a guitar at this price point.

Isn't this just the Rocksmith guitar?

The "Rocksmith guitar" is an Epiphone Les Paul Junior (one-pup P-90) with the Rocksmith 1/4"-to-USB cable. You can buy pretty much the same Junior at any Guitar Center across the country. You can also buy just the Rocksmith game with the 1/4"-to-USB cable and play pretty much any electric guitar.

BTW, Rocksmith is a great way to develop guitar skills in the guise of a console music game. I'd bet this Squier guitar will work fine with Rocksmith on a PS3 or Xbox, the same way the Rocksmith cable works will really any electric guitar into Garageband for the Mac. Typically, PC users will probably have to futz with finding the right drivers.

Regardless, anything that encourages the next generation of guitarists is OK in my book.

Last edited:

Smallworld69

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Apologies, was thinking about latency of an orchestra, not single instruments...

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Umm.. wireless packs for guitars and basses have been around since the early 80s. This is absolutely nothing new. If you went to a live show between 1983 and now at a big venue, you'd have seen them all over the place. I even have one that goes wirelessly to the base unit that is plugged directly into my amp. Only los of signal comes from distance, but if you have them on the same channel, you're all set.

buy a real strat

This. This is not a Fender Stratocaster, in true name. This is their low-end models, from Squier. If this were a true Fender Strat, even the Mexican or Japanese ones, you'd be looking at a decent tag between $500 and $800, give or take $100. If this were an American Standard Strat, you'd be looking at over $1000 easily.

Isn't this just the Rocksmith guitar?

No. This is a real guitar, but then again, still low end. If they were to add this to the main Fender line, or if Jackson, Ibanez, or ESP did this, I'd be all over it, but expect a price jump.

Props to Squier for trying, but if this takes off, expect the other companies to follow suit.

BL.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I wouldn't pay for that, I'd rather use my Schecter and get one of those apps / devices so I can plug directly into it.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I wouldn't pay for that, I'd rather use my Schecter and get one of those apps / devices so I can plug directly into it.

But for someone just beginning to play? That's what they're going for.

I paid $200 for my first bass. Had it been any more I wouldn't have gotten into it. The $200 price point is perfect for beginners.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have a pretty nice collection of guitars, amps, mics and recording equipment, and don't do a whole lot of songwriting so this isn't for me, but the price is fantastic and its a cool concept if you're a musician who's one the go or enjoys writing/practicing outside of the home. At only twice the price of the Apogee guitar interface for the interface AND the guitar, this looks like the best option for anyone who records often with the iOS device or any beginner who has an iPad.

If you're looking to purchase your first guitar in this day and age, why pay $199 or $299 for a squier starter kit with a crappy amp and a bunch of cheap accessories you don't really need when you can get the same guitar that works perfectly out of the box with the insane collection of killer amp models you already have?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007

"low hundred" milliseconds is too much when you are talking about music.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I'd bet this Squier guitar will work fine with Rocksmith on a PS3 or Xbox, the same way the Rocksmith cable works will really any electric guitar into Garageband for the Mac.

Gotcha, thanks!

So the Rocksmith doodad should also work with basses, right?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Gotcha, thanks!

So the Rocksmith doodad should also work with basses, right?

Yes. The caveat is that the original Rocksmith game was for guitar only -- they just recently added bass functionality as a $29 DLC -- or you can get the updated version "Rocksmith for Guitar and Bass" (just recently released) which includes the bass guitar functionality.

Also, a bunch of great "catch up" song packs, over-and-above what comes in the box, available as DLC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.