Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninermac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Ever since iOS 6, my iPad 3 has had a terrible time at Panera with page load times, timing out, losing connectivity, etc. Works great on my home wifi and other places that don't have a landing page for access to wifi. However if a landing page is used to gain access, it seems my iPad ends up not working too well.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I've had similar issues at Starbucks with my mini. Works great at home, drops wifi at Starbucks. Thought it might be a problem with my new device.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Duh and/or hello: bread, especially dense loaves, muffins, etc, absorbs WiFi on the 2.4 GHz band. Try the WiFi in a park and see the difference.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
if you have phone to tether that is the best way. i dont like connecting my iPad on public place like panera and starbucks. unsecured, slow and unusable.

i have verizon S3 grandfathered and its amazing when tethered on iPad and watch netflix on starbucks without any buffering :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Are you sure it's not the restaurant's WiFi system? It's one thing if you get great speeds on one device, but not another, at the same place and time. But just to say your speeds are slow at a particular place leaves many variables. I don't see how you can pin it on the device.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
It's public wifi people, what do you expect. Those stores probably do not even use the 80211.n yet either.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Panera like many other restaurants do not offer 80211.n but the slower 80211.g (or even the 80211.b).

Get the free app speed test and you can see for yourself.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
troubleshooting public wifi is about as useful as the spam link in the OP's sig.

ninermac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Are you sure it's not the restaurant's WiFi system? It's one thing if you get great speeds on one device, but not another, at the same place and time. But just to say your speeds are slow at a particular place leaves many variables. I don't see how you can pin it on the device.

When I've had issues, I have tested with other devices and had no issues... Not just one single Panera store either...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
if you have phone to tether that is the best way. i dont like connecting my iPad on public place like panera and starbucks. unsecured, slow and unusable.

i have verizon S3 grandfathered and its amazing when tethered on iPad and watch netflix on starbucks without any buffering :)

This. OP, like others have said, it's unsecured, unreliable, and many other users are using it at the same time. You may look into tethering your iPad with a smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.