Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matneh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
...but I feel there is enough room for 1 more device size in between the Mini and the Touch 5. Anybody else?
IMG_2677.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Funny how huge the mini looks compared to the iPod Touch..but to tell you the truth..no, not really.

What benefit would a in-between device have? Touch has pocket-ability and the Mini has portability.

While options are always nice I think Apple excels in the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) department.

Heck I think Apple has made a mess of the iOS line-up this year by keeping the iPT 4G around, iPad 2 around and using an older processor for the majority of the line up this year (iPT 5G, iPad Mini, iPad 2).

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
What do you think about;

...but I feel there is more than enough room for 10 more device size in between the iPod Shuffle and the Touch 5. AnyTHING ELSE?!!!

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Hahaha, first thing I thought of ... my favorite bit:

"The Mini Mega Micro Max, at 8.4 inches, it's actually the same size at the Mini Mega ... whoops ..." :D

At any rate, another drop is size would start reducing things like touch targets down to less than the minimum prescribed by the HID guidelines, etc. I think they're groovy with the pocket device and ultra portable device (and not semi-pocketable or whatever :) )

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
The iPod maxi? Or the ipad ultra mini? Lol. Personally I don't see the point. The iPad mini is actually pocketable. Maybe not front pocket...but back(I tried) and certainly cargo pants or coat jacket pocketable.

I doubt that Apple will do this tho. Maybe the next iPhone will see a slight widening new design? But personally I think the current line up is good enough. As another poster said, Apple is best when it keeps things simple.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At any rate, another drop is size would start reducing things like touch targets down to less than the minimum prescribed by the HID guidelines, etc. I think they're groovy with the pocket device and ultra portable device (and not semi-pocketable or whatever :) )

For a tablet in-between the mini and touch, they could expand iPhone apps instead of shrinking iPad apps. Personally, I think I wouldn't mind a 5-6 inch iOS tablet. But if such a device existed, I'd probably get rid of my iPhone, and use that as my "phone."

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
had that idea last summer, too ...

but it looks like i'm not really good at predictions, so ...

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
For a tablet in-between the mini and touch, they could expand iPhone apps instead of shrinking iPad apps. Personally, I think I wouldn't mind a 5-6 inch iOS tablet. But if such a device existed, I'd probably get rid of my iPhone, and use that as my "phone."

Hmm, that's actually pretty interesting .. big Touch/iPhone vs. smaller iPad/Mini. Go 16:9 ratio? At something like 5.5" the iPhone 5 res would be ~237 PPI.

Mega Mini Ultra Micro?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
What would a device in-between be? An iPad or an iPod (or iPhone?)

If you make the iPad Mini smaller you run into a new problem - iPad apps will have touch targets (buttons) that are too small. Apple recommends 44 pixels for a button (non-retina) and they based that off of the original iPhone. The Mini works because it has the same DPI, so the buttons are the same physical size as on the iPhone.

Making an even smaller iPad would require a new resolution and updates to every iPad app for the in-between size. Unless it just ran iPhone apps, in which case I don't really see the point.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
...but I feel there is enough room for 1 more device size in between the Mini and the Touch 5. Anybody else?
IMG_2677.jpg

Not really as I've come from using 7" android tablets. The size and weight of the Mini is perfect. I think Apple has trumped the smaller android tablets with this form factor to tell the truth.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Wow, Ipad mini screen supposed to be only twice as wide diagonally, no?

This pic, it seems more.

Regarding your wish, dont worry and Cook will grant you soon. Under him, anything is possible even if it would result in Apple not leading the market anymore. Actually, Ipad mini already make apple a follower instead of leader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.