Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I do a fair bit of video conversion and photo/video editing. I use the Mac as my video production machine as well as my media Hub to serve up content to my Atv3 and other streamers in my house.

I just picked up the i7 2.3Ghz (Quad-Core w/ virtual cores) Mac Mini last week and Upgraded it to 8gb of RAM and a 256gb SSD for the OS/Apps. The 1TB that came with the machine is now used as my media storage internally.

Last year I bought the i5 2.7Ghz (Quad-Core NO virtual cores) 27 inch iMac and added 8gb of RAM to it for a total of 12gb. Also had a 256gb SSD connected via TB as the OS/Apps drive.

Which is a better machine for video editing and normal media hub use? I'm not doing any 3D rendering and I don't know how to use Motion yet. I game very little. Only ones I own are the L4D and Portal series.

I also have Photoshop CS6.

Thanks for any advice!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm curious.

If you already have both machines, why are you asking the question?

Since both are quad core with SSD, they should be great for video work.

If you're really into benchmarks...

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

I am selling the iMac because I need money right now.

I'm hoping that the Mac Mini ends up being the better machine for my purposes for a lot less money. (bought it with financing and selling the iMac for cash as a temporary band-aid to my financial situation)

Yeah I guess I'm mostly asking if the 2.3 i7 renders faster than the 2.7 i5 benchmarks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.