Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I've got it set up so I'll be notified within a minute of the change to the website (well, in theory... I can't really test it with 100% certainty). However... I'm not likely to have the volume up on my phone to hear the alert text in the middle of the night. As a result, I'll probably just wake up all the time to check, and they probably won't start sales until noon PST or something, which I'll miss because I'm barely able to function at work due to having been up every half hour during the night.

Damn it all.

That said, it surely sounds like 3AM EST (midnight PST) is the absolute earliest it will go on sale, and it's probably not going to start until start-of-business PST.

LOL....i doubt it will come close to selling out. Some of you are acting lke you wont be able to get one. It isnt going to be like the iPhone.
Im going to wait til maybe close to Xmas to see if a 32GB is announced. Just have trouble justifying a 16GB device.

Im trying out Spotify and a couple others to see if that will work for me but it takes a lot of time to set these up like you want and i dont like that. Id just prefer more space.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
LOL....i doubt it will come close to selling out. Some of you are acting lke you wont be able to get one. It isnt going to be like the iPhone.
Well, we don't know what supplies are going to be like, as I doubt production numbers will be iPhone-like either. :)

I'm going to be out of town starting Thanksgiving, so I need to either get an order in early and catch the first wave of shipments, or wait until I get back. I'd rather have it on my trip, but obviously I can live without it.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Airports can only be set up by an iOS device, and OS X, and so does not there is a client that you have to download and install to set it up. I setup is not Web based.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What are you doing that only allows an Apple device to be connected to an airport?

VNC to a PC or Mac running Airport Utility. Not having an http server on the Airport devices is part Apple's ecosystem lock-in strategy masquerading as "easy" and "It just works."

I am talking about setting a wireless router (Airport express/extreme) up w/o owning a laptop. You cannot do this unless you either have an iphone of ipad. I am at the point in my life where a laptop serves zero purpose to me....so the ability to set my internet up w/o owning a laptop is huge.

not just connecting to it. I know you can connect to the device

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Fourth, they are on screen so you don't need to brace the device to press them. I find this annoying with my iPad I need to support it for a home button press which has almost caused me to drop it several times.

I've never thought of that. Great point.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Airports can only be set up by an iOS device, and OS X, and so does not there is a client that you have to download and install to set it up. I setup is not Web based on

There is software for windows. I have an airport extreme and I have no Apple OS in my house.

----------

I am talking about setting a wireless router (Airport express/extreme) up w/o owning a laptop. You cannot do this unless you either have an iphone of ipad. I am at the point in my life where a laptop serves zero purpose to me....so the ability to set my internet up w/o owning a laptop is huge.

OK I understand now. But the Airport app for iOS is rather limited, I was just using it the other day and all you can do is view stuff like wireless clients and such, you can't actually change any settings at all.

Last edited:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

That really is a flaw in the Airport device. Most other routers set up via http. Like I said, its part of Apple's lock-in strategy.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That really is a flaw in the Airport device. Most other routers set up via http. Like I said, its part of Apple's lock-in strategy.

I agree, but it is a nice feature to have. If you have ever set up an extreme/express it is much more intuitive than a belkin or netgear. Also, I have an apple tv and when I had the current nexus I left my remote at home when taking it to a friends..... there was no remote app that worked w/ apple tv for android devices....so I could not turn it on.

I tried the nexus Q and that is just flat out awful =/. I am all for trying out different products, but I have found everything syncs much better within apple products, and the alternatives are not as good....nexus 7/nexus Q IMO.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I agree, but it is a nice feature to have. If you have ever set up an extreme/express it is much more intuitive than a belkin or netgear. Also, I have an apple tv and when I had the current nexus I left my remote at home when taking it to a friends..... there was no remote app that worked w/ apple tv for android devices....so I could not turn it on.

I tried the nexus Q and that is just flat out awful =/. I am all for trying out different products, but I have found everything syncs much better within apple products, and the alternatives are not as good....nexus 7/nexus Q IMO.

How do you manage it? I understand there is a setup assistant for the first time you connect your iOS device, but I don't see any options in the iOS Airport app to actually manage anything. It seems like it would be impossible without a mac or windows machine.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
An iPad almost smashing you in the face while relaxing browsing the web is a memorable experience for me. :)

Honestly, I don't mind the home button on the iPad as I never used it anyway. There are gestures to close apps and open the multitasking bar. I do agree it's more comfortable on the iPhone though. I use Zephyr on my iPhone 4 as a) my home button doesn't work all the time and b) it's just smoother not to have to use an actual button.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Likely in a way far more convoluted than need be. ;)

First, I created an AppleScript (using AppleScript Editor) with the following contents:
Code:
tell application "Mail"
	set theNewMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"Buy the N4!", content:"https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb", visible:true}
	tell theNewMessage
		make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"YOUR_EMAIL_OR_TEXTING_ADDRESS"}
		send
	end tell
end tell
where you'd replace YOUR_EMAIL_OR_TEXTING_ADDRESS with your actual address. Note you can copy and paste that "make new to recipient at..." line to send to multiple places, like a text address and a legitimate email address. This script just sends a simple email to the address. Feel free to change the subject or contents. Edit: be sure to test it by running the script within AppleScript Editor.

Then I have a simple script running in a loop. It looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

while (true)
  do
    if [ `curl -s https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb | grep "Available for purchase on Tuesday, Nov. 13th" | wc -l` -eq 0 ]
      then 
        osascript ~/Desktop/NexusEmail.scpt; exit
    fi
    sleep 300
  done
It checks every 300 seconds (5 minutes) for a specific change to the N4 link (no more "Available for purchase on...") and exits once the site changes. You could reduce the time, but I'd not make it too small, lest you become noticed. 60 (seconds) seems like a minimum.

You'd replace '~/Desktop/NexusEmail.scpt' with the location of your AppleScript, and be sure to make it executable ('chmod +x shell_file_name'). Then, leave it running in a Terminal shell.

Again, I'm sure there are vastly easier ways to do this. This way was just fastest for me.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
From the Mashable review:

The most impressive part of the phone to me was the battery. It’s the same battery that’s inside the Optimus G but I found that the Nexus 4 has even better performance

On my iPhone 5, I’m lucky if I can get through 10 hours with heavy to moderate use. With the Nexus 4, I was able to go 14 hours before needing to recharge the phone — and this was with tons of open apps, lots of online communications, tons of data downloads and even some quality time with Grand Theft Auto III.

I’m not sure if it was Android 4.2 and Google’l own optimizations that led to the increased battery life — or if it was the lack of a 4G radio (more on that below) — but this is one smartphone that won’t leave you searching for a place to get extra juice.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Yes. Unless you're in Australia, where they are supposedly out on the 13th as well (i.e., today there)... although I guess that would technically be true as long as the Google store opens by... what, 5am PST on the 13th? Something like that.

Hmm. Strong(ish) argument for them being available for sale prior to 5am PST tomorrow. Maybe.

They're not out here yet. Maybe later in the day they will be, but not yet.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
They're not out here yet. Maybe later in the day they will be, but not yet.
I'm guessing they won't be open there until just before midnight. The absolute earliest I'd think they'd open would be 4pm (midnight EST on the 13th here in the US).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I can't believe I'm this excited over an Android phone.

It's unnatural.
I hear you. I'm giddy over it, and I can't even fully explain why. I don't care, though - it's nice to be excited about a launch again... I think the last one that really got me this antsy was the iPhone 4. Must be phones with '4' names. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.