Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zas

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
I need some guidance guys. I need to get out of sprint before I freak out. I am getting download speeds of not even 1mb.... Anyways If I cancel with sprint and pay the ETF and my last bill would they unlock it? I guess I will have to pay $80 bucks on ebay so I can sell it to someone overseas and get some of my money back. I ordered a cheap sprint phone so I can swap it out and get rid of it like ASAP!!! that way I dont have to wait until my last bill to be able to sell the phone. Anyways any advice here would be great.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I need some guidance guys. I need to get out of sprint before I freak out. I am getting download speeds of not even 1mb.... Anyways If I cancel with sprint and pay the ETF and my last bill would they unlock it? I guess I will have to pay $80 bucks on ebay so I can sell it to someone overseas and get some of my money back. I ordered a cheap sprint phone so I can swap it out and get rid of it like ASAP!!! that way I dont have to wait until my last bill to be able to sell the phone. Anyways any advice here would be great.

Try Craiglist there is always that guy that think Sprint is the best. ;) I sold my iPhone 4s on CL before switching to Att. Good luck!

zas

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Try Craiglist there is always that guy that think Sprint is the best. ;) I sold my iPhone 4s on CL before switching to Att. Good luck!

hahaha thats funny. I am in Las Vegas and when I am at work I can't even stream audio!!!

zas

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
I said I was going on a business trip so they want proof..... I just started with them when the iphone 5 came out.... I ordered with ATT today. I guess I will sell as is on ebay see how much I can get back. All the unlocks on ebay are 100 bucks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I said I was going on a business trip so they want proof..... I just started with them when the iphone 5 came out.... I ordered with ATT today. I guess I will sell as is on ebay see how much I can get back. All the unlocks on ebay are 100 bucks.

You need to prove your business trip to them?
What a bunch of BS.
Sprint customer service is the worst.

zas

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
I dont know bro.
AT&T or verizon never ask me for proof of my trip in order to unlock my phone.
Sounds like the particular rep didnt want to do it at all so kept being unresonable and asking for private information that a company shouldnt request from a customer.

Yeah I'm with you man. Oh we'll I guess I will pay on ebay to get it unlocked I mean it will still sell for a reasonable amount . We will see. Thanks for your help !

anonjd

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2012
I had a similar experience with Rogers (a Canadian carrier) with my 4S.

Try calling back in a few hours. Be nice and just tell them that you're busy preparing for the trip and don't really have the time to send them information about your trip.

In my experience it took three calls before Rogers unlocked it for $50 I believe.

As long as you're in good standing with your account and you're polite and have talk to someone who is understanding, you'll be fine.

I would try that before buying an unlock on eBay.

Good luck.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Just a tid bit of information.

Sprint does not unlock the iPhone 5 for domestic GSM carriers.

When they do unlock it, you can only use it with an international carrier.

An AT&T or T-Mobile sim will not work.

zas

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Just a tid bit of information.

Sprint does not unlock the iPhone 5 for domestic GSM carriers.

When they do unlock it, you can only use it with an international carrier.

An AT&T or T-Mobile sim will not work.

Yeah I know so if I do sell it, I will sell it to someone out of the country. I will keep you guys updated.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
When I called sprint to have my iphone5 unlocked for international gsm use, they said it was already unlocked.

Is there any way to know its locked of unlocked status besides flying to Europe and popping in a sim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.