Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
What inside of a chromebook is crap? Are you deliberately avoiding the question?
Compare it to anything remotely similar to Apple's where the design was copied from and you'll understand. That includes the software also.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Compare it to anything remotely similar to Apple's where the design was copied from and you'll understand. That includes the software also.

I'm asking you to explain why the insides of a chromebook is crap. You keep dodging the question or trying to get me to do some sort of research for you.

We're not talking about design. You said the inside of a chromebook is crap. Please quantify that statement. Software isn't what's "inside"

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
if a judge doesn't appear to specify an order correctly, and Apple is thus allowed leeway to 'add' additional comments from that same legal statement, then I can't really see what all the fuss is about.
The Judge mentioned cool, etc, and Apple just included it.
It's a mad world, eh!

Yes, it is a mad world, you're commenting about something that you don't know.

1. The order was clearly specified
2. It had nothing to do with adding anything about the same legal statement

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
:cool:

you have no idea what a chromebook is do you?

Well I think he's trying to compare the guts of a computer that starts at $999 to a cloud-based laptop which is $249.

I think (even though still faulty) a better comparison would be the guts of an iPad vs the chromebook.

But regardless - I still don't REALLY know what he means.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Considering that the whole chromebook project is targeted primarily to education and widely received as cost effective solution to less fortunate students… it seems a little disturbing to see them compared to the most expensive laptops on the planet. I think that is wildly missing the point. Just my opinion.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
I'm asking you to explain why the insides of a chromebook is crap. You keep dodging the question or trying to get me to do some sort of research for you.

We're not talking about design. You said the inside of a chromebook is crap. Please quantify that statement. Software isn't what's "inside"
Yes, we are talking about the design and how the Chromebook has the outside design of a Macbook but it's merely a netbook. In every aspect, the Chromebook is inferior in quality, performance and engineering to any MacBook - that's what I call crap inside. And yes, I do consider software as something that's "inside".

you have no idea what a chromebook is do you?
Yes, I do.

----------

Considering that the whole chromebook project is targeted primarily to education and widely received as cost effective solution to less fortunate students… it seems a little disturbing to see them compared to the most expensive laptops on the planet. I think that is wildly missing the point. Just my opinion.
But that's exactly my point. It's a blasphemy Samsung blatantly copying the outside design of a MacBook into a netbook piece of crap.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes, we are talking about the design and how the Chromebook has the outside design of a Macbook but it's merely a netbook. In every aspect, the Chromebook is inferior in quality, performance and engineering to any MacBook - that's what I call crap inside. And yes, I do consider software as something that's "inside".

Yes, I do.

----------

But that's exactly my point. It's a blasphemy Samsung blatantly copying the outside design of a MacBook into a netbook piece of crap.

Wow are you offbase.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

Yes, I do.

----------

you've clearly never seen a chromebook either.

yes, it's SOOOO copying to have a silver painted plastic case for your laptop. nobody has ever had a silver painted plastic laptop before. HP in fact, didnt design their old Silver laptops either, They went forward in time, saw apple's success, and then stole it for themselves, so that they could launch their line of silver laptops years before!

Or is it that chicklet keyboard you're reffering to? you know, the one that Sony put in their keyboards years before? All these companies with time travel devices, using it for their own shenanigans!

you're not just off-base...
you're off in another planet

Last edited:

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

The MacBook design isn't exactly original.
Sony chiclet keyboard layout with an ultrabook shell.
Not too far off from a T13.
So Apple ripped of Sony and then Samsung ripped off.... Sony.

Hell, Sony's original Vaio had more aluminum in it than the original MacBook.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
you've clearly never seen a chromebook either.

yes, it's SOOOO copying to have a silver painted plastic case for your laptop. nobody has ever had a silver painted plastic laptop before. HP in fact, didnt design their old Silver laptops either, They went forward in time, saw apple's success, and then stole it for themselves, so that they could launch their line of silver laptops years before!

Or is it that chicklet keyboard you're reffering to? you know, the one that IBM put in their keyboards years before? All these companies with time travel devices, using it for their own shenanigans!

you're not just off-base...
you're off in another planet

I thought they came from the acquisition of Compaq:D.

r3000_front2.jpg

I don't even remember when that came out. I just recall it being old.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
thanks Kev, :p

HP, Compaq, two sides of the same coin these days. even us old dogs may remember a time when they were two different entities.

But it's unfortunate that many dont remember, that Laptop Design itself doesn't really have a great deal of "leeway" in look / feel to it. Over the course of time, they've gotten small, lighter, and different colours. But the same fundamental shape and design have gone into every single one of them.

2 part 'clamshell' device, containing a screen on one side of a hinge, and on the other half, a base, containing a keyboard and pointing device with internal PC components.

The same design today. Same design back then. Today is just thinner and made from better parts.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
The MacBook design isn't exactly original.
Sony chiclet keyboard layout with an ultrabook shell.
Not too far off from a T13.
So Apple ripped of Sony and then Samsung ripped off.... Sony.

Hell, Sony's original Vaio had more aluminum in it than the original MacBook.
The first MacBook with that overall design came up in 2008. And it's not just about the metal case. It's about the whole thing. The flat keys, the layout of the keyboard, etc. The overall design feel that they are trying to copy.

----------

If you're seriously asking this question, I sincerely doubt any explanation I could give you would make sense to you as proven by your earlier "dance."
Well, that settles.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The first MacBook with that overall design came up in 2008. And it's not just about the metal case. It's about the whole thing. The flat keys, the layout of the keyboard, etc. The overall design feel that they are trying to copy.

----------

Well, that settles.

Do you hate Asus as much. They copied the airbook design too, no?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
That keyboard style and layout was designed by Sony. ;)

vaiot1_211139488025_640x360.jpg

How about a side view...
vaiot2_211139484209_640x360.jpg

That should settle it... Samsung's Chromebook is trying to copy the Vaio T series.

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
MacRumors has been full of Android fanboys for since 2011. I think the MAJORITY are actually Android fanboys now.

Considering every 3 out of 4 smartphones shipped is an Android phone, we shouldn't be too surprised. People can be Apple fans without owning an iPhone I suppose.

Anyways, I know what Apple did wasn't necessarily in opposition to the court ruling handed down, but it seems like they purposely tried to make a mockery of the court. I just don't like grown adults acting this way. Did Tim Cook really approve this behavior? If so, Apple's in much worse shape than I previously believed.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
[/COLOR]Well, that settles.[/QUOTE]

And it's not just about the metal case
Great. Cause the Chromebook is plastic with Silver paint! A design that laptop makers have been doing and using since the 90's

The flat keys,
Chiclet style keyboards were not Apple's invention. In fact, They have never accused anyone of stealing it, because they themselves 'stole' it. There were already examples of them in use prior to Apple.

The overall design feel that they are trying to copy.
Aside from the keyboard, there is no shared design philosophy. No more than any other laptop.

This is what you dont seem to be cognitive of. Apple has no claim to invention on a design of the laptops. They were the first I know of to do a full body aluminium enclosure. Outside of that, Their laptops follow the exact same design functionality that every laptop since the dawn of modern laptop computing in the 90's has followed.

There are even design elements that are significantly different between the Chromebook and MBA's. The hinges and it's mounting is completely different. the Ports and accessories are different. The entire architecture that powers the devices are completely different (Exonys ARM CPU build by Samsung V x86 based Intel Chipsets).

so...

Again. How is Samsung blatantly ripping off Apple with the Chromebook? Do you actually expect Samsung to completely rebuild the concept of a laptop everytime they design a brand new one, just because at some point in time Apple made one too?

But wait. this whole little diatribe started cause you said that the Chromebook was crap. Thats a subjective viewpoint. Do you want to back up why it's "crap". Cause you've danced to "copying". You've compared a budget ARM based lowpower custom OS machine to a higher end "luxury" one...

but you haven't actually explained from a relative point, why it's crap? the Chromebook wasn't built and designed to be a high end top of the line laptop. you're not going to buy it to play games or crunch numbers. You wouldn't buy it for anything outside of access to Googles cloud based services and your basic web surfing. But for $250, you're not goign to get the same parts and performance as you would for 999. that just isn't feasible.

So what I think you MEANT to say, is "The Chromebook doesn't meet the requirements I have in a laptop, and therefore, it is not an item I would wish to purchase".

if you said that... i'd have probably nodded in agreement and moved on. instead, you danced

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
if a judge doesn't appear to specify an order correctly, and Apple is thus allowed leeway to 'add' additional comments from that same legal statement, then I can't really see what all the fuss is about.
The Judge mentioned cool, etc, and Apple just included it.
It's a mad world, eh!

It doesn't matter. Anyway you slice it, the statement worded by Apple was not in the spirit of the court ruling, nor was the resizing of the mini advertisement on their home page. On multiple occasions, Apple's actions/inactions made a mockery of what the judge originally intended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.