Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I am a student who mostly uses my iPad 3 for reading, surfing, mail and listening to music. I do notuse it to take notes, and I play very few games and it's very rare that I use it for creative stuff like painting and such.

The reason I bought the iPad 3 was because I thought the screen on iPad 2 looked poor. I absolutely love retina displays, and this summer I spent most of my earnings on a retina MacBook Pro, because I absolutely adore the crisp displays. However, during the transition from iPad 2 to 3, the added weight made a huge impact on my satisfactiom with the iPad. I adored the screen, but the weight was and still is its biggest føaw.

While using my iPad 3, I often find myself physically in pain from the sharp edges pressing against the palm of my hand. It's mostly fine for the first 20 minutes, but after a longer session, it's stright down uncomfortable to use my iPad 3.

So, naturally, I am thinking about replacing it with a iPad mini. But as a person that absolutely loves retina displays, I am wondering if I will enjoy my iPad mini without thinking of those goddamn blurry pixels every second i use it.

I also have an iPhone 5, so I will definetly switch from retina to non-retina a lot.

Any thoughts? Experiences? This will probably replace the iPad as soon as the next generation arrives, so keep in mind that I'm looking for the best iPad for my needs only for the next year.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I have seen the iPad mini in the stores, and to be frank I thought the acreen was better than I expected, but not as good as I'm used too.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I went from a 3 to a mini because I prefer the form factor and weight.

Just go to a store, try one out and you will know if it feels better for you.

To me the pro trade offs against the more powerful bigger brother outweigh any cons.

Only you will know, one shoe doesn't fit all. So go try a pair on in store and see for yourself. ;) :D

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am replying to you on an iPad mini. I don't see anything blurry. This is an HD screen. I have owned a 13" rMBP, and I have an iPhone 5 as well. This screen is good on the iPad mini.

ash211

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
I read all the negative reviews on the display and finally went to an apple store to see for myself and found the mini's screen looks pretty good. Is it retina....No. Is it still a good looking screen...I think so.

I was on the fence about upgrading my ipad 2 to a 4 or mini. I love the small form factor of the mini but I've finally decided to get the 4 mainly because I have to write one to two page reports on my ipad and frequently can't use a physical keyboard. I found the keyboard on the mini too small to type quickly on it.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
While using my iPad 3, I often find myself physically in pain from the sharp edges pressing against the palm of my hand. It's mostly fine for the first 20 minutes, but after a longer session, it's stright down uncomfortable to use my iPad 3.

? Just put it in a case.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Exactly. I had the same problems with the edges of the iPad digging into my palms. A soft TPU case solved the problem nicely.

The op is unhappy about additional weight, and even a TPU will add that much more additional weight.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies, bending more and more towards the mini now.

Anyone that went from the iPad 3 to mini who wants to share their experience?

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl

You sound like me. I LOVE retina displays (rmbp, iphone 5, ipad 3). I checked out the mini in store and thought "that does not look nearly as bad as people are saying". The size and weight are awesome. The thing just looks beautiful.

I kept it for two days and swapped for an ipad 4, which I am happily typing on right now :). Personally I could not get past the display. As you said you were worried about above, I couldn't stop noticing the pixels and fuzziness. This does not bother a lot of people, but being used to retina everything and going to this is definitely noticeable. It gave me headaches.

I'm not bashing the mini at all. It is light, solid, quick, and a great fit for a lot of people. I would suggest buying one thinking that you are just going to try it out for a while to see if you like it.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
OP sounds exactly like me, I have 15" rMBP, iPhone 5, and a iPad 3. I was seriously worried about the non retina screen on the mini but took the plunge anyway. I have been blown away at how much I use my mini and how little the non retina actually bothers me. I was even one of those who before release thought it would be a deal breaker if the mini wasn't retina.

I have found that the form factor for me is more than enough to make up for the lack of retina. I use my mini more than I ever used my iPad 3. I even find myself using my mini in several instances when I would usually use my iPhone 5. This also helps with the non retina as I am actually looking at my iPhone 5 screen less.

To me the mini is what the iPad should have always been, it's so light and easy to hold/use I don't think I'll ever go back to a full size iPad.

That being said, a retina mini would be the absolute best tablet on earth.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Go to the Apple Store and try the mini already. :p

I have an iPad 3, an iP5 and an iPad mini. The apps display in the mini is pretty good. It's the text when browsing Safari / web that's kind of little difficult especially since am spoiled to the greatness of retina screen. This is not an issue at all for quick surfing the web. I switch or use my iPhone 5 or iPad 3 for marathon net surfing.

My verdict: Am going to give my iPad 3 to my sister, keep the iPad mini as it compliments perfectly with the iPhone 5.

Am with you, the iPad 3 is too heavy now especially when I travel. It's really hard to hide it as it will never fit in any of my clothes pockets. It is perfect for waching movies while lying down lazily in the couch so am planning to buy next iPad (5!). Hopefully, the next one is a permanent laptop replacement plus for my home movies watching and heavy use needs.

Of course, the form factor and portability etc of iPad mini is incredible. Am buying the iPad mini 2 as well (will eventually be giving this iPad mini 1 to my sister or mother - I might not buy the iPad 5 if I get use to the mini especially if the iPad mini 2 really turns to be as the greatest / perfect tablet ever for my needs).

Last edited:

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Thought I should add, I have been avoiding even getting my iPad 3 out of my bag from fear it would ruin the mini for me to see the crisp retina. Today I finally did and I was shocked to feel like I was holding a old piece of tech. It just felt huge, bloated and heavy. Not to mention the bezel looked gigantic, like the older flat screen tv's before bezels became nonexistent. Sure the screen was crisp but the overall product felt old.

I'm sure others will disagree but this was my experience and opinion.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I have the iPad 3 and just ordered a mini to replace it after seeing it at the store. The form factor outweighs the display. That, and I just did some research and the iMac at work that I use all day as a newspaper reporter and designer is only 102 PPI. The iPad mini is 136. That means the mini is better than the computer that I spend 8 to 10 hours a day on. I think I can handle that.

Currently I have to choose one or the other. A possible job change may allow me to keep both, but if not, I'm going to stick with the Mini and sell my iPad 3.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I had the iPad 3 for a week and really liked it BUT the size and weight I didn't feel comfortable with and knew I wouldn't be happy in the long run. I'm use to 7" android tablets so something the size and weight of the 3rd gen was hard to get use to.

Best Buy got a shipment of the Mini in and I bought it purely on impulse. After using it for just one day, I knew this is the one I truly wanted to own regardless of the screen and other specs so bye bye went the iPad 3.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009

I went from a 3 to a Mini and a 4. I love both, but the Mini is getting way more use.

Most people on this board are whiny and need something to complain about to get through their days, but from someone who is actually using the device on a daily basis, the screen is no issue on the Mini. It's not quite retina, though it still looks quite good. For a $300 device, it does everything I need and more.

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I have the iPad 3 and mini, but once I received the mini I gave the 3 to my wife. The size/weight makes it a perfect combination. The screen isn't bad at all, but if you go from the 3 (or iPhone) to the mini you do notice the lack of pixels... for a while. If you stick to the mini you won't really notice it after a while!

For me the best browsing experience is not trying to look at very small fonts in Safari, or to keep zooming in/out, but to use Perfect Browser with the default font size increased - this avoids any zooming and the larger text looks very sharp. I only tend to notice the pixelated text when viewing very small text. Whilst retina would help with very small text, I don't think it would take the strain away from reading small text, I would still want to zoom to make it more comfortable. Perhaps that is just my 40 year old eyes :)

For other applications I use, like Zite, I have just bumped the default size up. Again, nothing to do with retina, just to make the text easier to read without any eye strain - I guess this is just all part of a 7.9" vs 9.7 inch screen.

I have no regrets at all in switching to the mini, but of course only you can decide if it is right for you.

siritalks

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I've gone from a 3 to a mini.

For me, sure the screen is slightly less bright, and if you really get close to it you can see a very slight fuzz on SOME text, but the screen is by no means bad at all. Everything I have used it for (writing lyrics in Pages, watching TV series, using Netflix, reading in the iBooks app) has worked absolutely fine... quick, responsive, and perfectly good at all those tasks. I am yet to find anything that I dislike about it to be honest. The size and weight means I can lie in bed and type on it in either portrait or landscape with just my thumbs (no need to sit up and use it like a real keyboard).

The form factor, portability etc make this the hands down winner (between a 3 and a mini) in my opinion at least.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010

My story seems similar to others who have posted. I went from a 3 to a mini and actually use it more than I used my 3. I have an iPhone 5 and rMBP and the non-retina screen doesn't bother me at all. It's a great device!

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Thought I should add, I have been avoiding even getting my iPad 3 out of my bag from fear it would ruin the mini for me to see the crisp retina. Today I finally did and I was shocked to feel like I was holding a old piece of tech. It just felt huge, bloated and heavy. Not to mention the bezel looked gigantic, like the older flat screen tv's before bezels became nonexistent. Sure the screen was crisp but the overall product felt old.

I'm sure others will disagree but this was my experience and opinion.

Just the opposite reaction. Comparing the screen and sluggishness of the mini to iPad the mini felt old, like picking up iPhone 3GS after using iPhone 4S.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Just the opposite reaction. Comparing the screen and sluggishness of the mini to iPad the mini felt old, like picking up iPhone 3GS after using iPhone 4S.

And I can definitely understand that. I guess I was just shocked that I ended up valuing the form factor over the resolution. It ended up being so much more useful to have the mini that I can easily overlook the difference in screen clarity.

However, I will be first in line when the upgrade the mini to retina hopefully next year as that will be the be-all end-all of tablets imho.

sixers610

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I have the 3. I refuse to downgrade the screen and the speed of the device. Though I so agree, the mini's display didn't look all that bad. Once they introduce a retina display (or even one up to par with kindle HD), count me in.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Sluggish ? My mini is just as fast as my iPad 3 bar a couple of games that need to be updated because they are reading the identifier correctly.

But as for performance in everything else, there is no difference as evident by it scoring the exact same score in geekbench as the ipad 3.

Ccwk

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Also went from iPad3 to mini. You will definitely notice the pixels and a bit of fuziness but only you will know if it bothers you or not. I can tell you that if you do go from the Retina Ipad to mini, you will absolutely upgrade when the mini gets Retina. Just be prepared for that cost in 6 months or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.