Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squash4dave

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
Unlimited Data

The typical, "because I personally don't use a device in this manner that must mean its stupid for *anyone* to use a device in that manner" post. You need to look beyond your one usage patterns and needs. It's very clear that there is a market for cellular models and there are many good reasons articulated in this thread as to why.

Mine is that I don't need cellular data on my iPad every month and so I like to get it when I travel. However, I don't want to give up the unlimited data on my iPhone just so that I can get a more expensive tethering/shared data plan--and I don't want to jailbreak my phone either. I don't even have LTE on my iPhone yet, its still on the pokey 3G anyway.

If you upgrade to LTE, you will probably lose your unlimited data plan. My sister has unlimited data with Verizon, but was told that if she gets an LTE phone, she will lose it, unless she pays full price for the new phone. I had read this, also. So don't be surprised if you switch.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Nonsense. Tethering kills your phone battery firstly. Secondly, the whole idea of a tablet, and this more the case than ever with the mini being so portable, is being able to pick it up and browse or whatever in an instant. Tethering is a ballache in this regard. Fine if you rarely take your iPad outside, pita if you take it out a LOT like I do.

Besides, not everyone is shafted for data like in the US. I have unlimited data and tethering on my phone, while data sims can be bought for £10, for 3gb lasting 3 months. 3gb is fine for browsing, easily lasts 3 months, and for more intensive data hogging activities I just tether it to my phone.

Nope. You're wrong.

My argument applies to more people than the ones that disagree.

It also gets better when you use something like Clearwire. Unlimited 4G that you can leverage as a hotspot for all your i-devices.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
My 16GB iPad mini LTE (AT&T) now showing "preparing for shipment". So far, the delivery is listed as Nov. 21

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
LTE tablets are stupid.

If you're gonna own an LET table, you probably own a LET phone. And with that, you can just use your phone as a hotspot to connect your tablet to (WiFi). It works just flawlessly with Verizon. At the cost of carrying your phone with your tablet. Which is irrelevant really because you always have your phone with you, and more importantly, you save $130!

I'll never go back to wi-fi only iPad. First I don't want to pay tethering fee. Second, I want GPS on my iPad, especially the mini. So, IMO, tablet WITHOUT LTE is stupid!

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
My 16GB iPad mini LTE (AT&T) now showing "preparing for shipment". So far, the delivery is listed as Nov. 21

I can confirm here too Preparing for Shipment
Delivers Nov 21 via Next Day Shipping, before noon
iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular for Verizon 64GB - White & Silver

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you upgrade to LTE, you will probably lose your unlimited data plan. My sister has unlimited data with Verizon, but was told that if she gets an LTE phone, she will lose it, unless she pays full price for the new phone. I had read this, also. So don't be surprised if you switch.

That's the policy for Verizon, but AT&T will let you keep your unlimited data plan even when upgrading to an LTE phone. Unlimited data is actually throttled on AT&T LTE after 5GB, but that's still better than paying $30 for 3GB for the same price.

Verizon will also let you keep unlimited data when you upgrade by the way, but you must pay the full unsubsidized price for the phone sadly.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I'll never go back to wi-fi only iPad. First I don't want to pay tethering fee. Second, I want GPS on my iPad, especially the mini. So, IMO, tablet WITHOUT LTE is stupid!
Obviously if you have the money and are willing to pay for it.

I think there are less people that carry their iPad EVERYWHERE requiring LTE.

And Apple delaying the shipments of cellular mini's shows that.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
That in regards too what iPad or iPad mini?

Because both of my order are same status Preparing for shipping.

iPad 4, 64GB LTE-Verizon

the general consensus here it seems, is that Verizon people are getting shafted by almost a week

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
iPad 4, 64GB LTE-Verizon

the general consensus here it seems, is that Verizon people are getting shafted by almost a week

My 64GB LTE-Verizon just moved to Preparing for Shipment and they charged my card earlier today. So I'd expect to get a shipping notification later today if not in the morning tomorrow.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
LTE tablets are stupid.

If you're gonna own an LET table, you probably own a LET phone. And with that, you can just use your phone as a hotspot to connect your tablet to (WiFi). It works just flawlessly with Verizon. At the cost of carrying your phone with your tablet. Which is irrelevant really because you always have your phone with you, and more importantly, you save $130!

I don't have an LTE phone and don't plan on getting one in the near future. For me, the LTE mini iPad fits quite well in my life. For day to day, I'm at work or at home where wifi is always available. On vacation, usually in a USA National Park, I'll have Internet access through the iPad and only activate it when needed. Plus the LTE iPad has built in GPS so I now have a nicely sized GPS unit.

Like another poster, I have the original 3G iPad and saw no need to get every iteration. The mini will suit me just fine thank you very much. :D

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
My 64GB LTE-Verizon just moved to Preparing for Shipment and they charged my card earlier today. So I'd expect to get a shipping notification later today if not in the morning tomorrow.

that's what people said yesterday lol

Captriker

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
iPad 4, 64GB LTE-Verizon

I have a Verizon 32GB 4gen with LTE that is showing delivery as the 19th on FedEx, though 16th on Apple.com.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I have a Verizon 32GB 4gen with LTE that is showing delivery as the 19th on FedEx, though 16th on Apple.com.

this is BS then.

i bought within hours that pre-ordering went live. how the heck is mine still in process when everyone else's has been shipped??!

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I pre-ordered my Verizon Mini about 30 sec after they went on sale and have had Nov21 listed as the arrival date for a while now. I did call initially and ask for a better slot as we are out next week. I was told No, but given a free cover. After reading the forum I was encouraged to call and ask for overnite shipping as mine showed "std" shipping. I called, asked, and was kindly switched to overnite shipping, to still arrive Nov21. Then I see all these folks getting the 16th dates, but decided to just let it go, it comes when it comes.

Just now got a UPS conf email, arrival on the 16th, nice end of the day today. Now I have something to divert my attention away from the family over Thanksgiving, thanks Apple!

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I received shipment confirmed an hour ago from Apple that
my iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular for Verizon 64GB - White & Silver
has shipped, to be delivered on 15th going UPS Worldwide Express, had next day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 8.24.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 8.24.38 AM.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

psi-star-psi

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
My UPS delivery notification says that it is to arrive today (13th), but based on what everyone else is saying, I have a feeling that I'll be waiting at home all day for no package to come. Anyone have experience with the package being delayed on the supposed day of arrival?

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
My UPS delivery notification says that it is to arrive today (13th), but based on what everyone else is saying, I have a feeling that I'll be waiting at home all day for no package to come. Anyone have experience with the package being delayed on the supposed day of arrival?

I am using UPS Choice better tracking, If the UPS tracking says it might
happen but best you call UPS, when did it ship out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 8.43.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 8.43.44 AM.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

psi-star-psi

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I am using UPS Choice better tracking, If the UPS tracking says it might
happen but best you call UPS, when did it ship out?

I'm in Canada.
It shipped out from Mississauga (almost known as southwest Toronto) on the 9th at 8:55 PM, hit Concord (almost known as northwest Toronto) on the 9th at 9:24 PM (29 minutes... ha). Departed there ~6.5 hours later at 3:50 AM on the 10th, and that was the last update; not entirely surprised, as it had 1504 km (934 mi) to go before it reaches me. I'm expecting there should be some kind of warehouse scan at gross o'clock in the morning.

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I'm in Canada.
It shipped out from Mississauga (almost known as southwest Toronto) on the 9th at 8:55 PM, hit Concord (almost known as northwest Toronto) on the 9th at 9:24 PM (29 minutes... ha). Departed there ~6.5 hours later at 3:50 AM on the 10th, and that was the last update; not entirely surprised, as it had 1504 km (934 mi) to go before it reaches me. I'm expecting there should be some kind of warehouse scan at gross o'clock in the morning.

then u will be getting it earlier. i am a USA order. So it shipping from China

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I ordered within minutes of them going on sale on the 26th and mine still says preparing for shipment and showing delivery on the 21st. I, too, am going out of town this weekend and if it goes on sale Friday and my PREORDER is not here I'm going to be one hell of a pissed off Apple customer. :rolleyes:

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
I ordered within minutes of them going on sale on the 26th and mine still says preparing for shipment and showing delivery on the 21st. I, too, am going out of town this weekend and if it goes on sale Friday and my PREORDER is not here I'm going to be one hell of a pissed off Apple customer. :rolleyes:

I order my iPad mini 10 mins within Pre Order that when i received
email at 3:10am PST saying Your order is being processed

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
iPad 4, 64GB LTE-Verizon

I called today Tuesday Nov. 13th, spoke to CSR they told me within the next few days my iPad 4, 64GB LTE-Verizon should ship. But as you pre order
and i place my order on the Nov 8th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.