Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattyu007

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
Seattle, WA
- it refused to wake from sleep once (it just displayed mouse cursor for a sec and back off)

Exact same thing happened to me, 2012 15" cMBP.

If it were possible for me, I would roll back using Time Machine, but too much has changed on my hard drive (in terms of my files for school) that it's pretty much out of the question at this point. :(

hscottm

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
it sounds like this is an update to wait on. has there been any official discussion of another version of this update to be released?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I wonder if this patch fixes the problems with games, which makes you having to reset your SMC.
At least not out of the box. Got a new rMBP (with 10.8 pre-installed) and put all available updates on it (including that EFI 2.0 update). Was disappointed by low fps-rate in WoW, found threads about the issue and could cure the problem by resetting SMC - after the patch was already installed.

Not sure though whether it was a one-time reset that was necessary after the update or whether the update did _not_ fix the issue. Will test this today or tomorrow...

Which games were causing that?
Probably most games that are a little more demanding than Minesweeper...

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Been playing a bit of Guild Wars 2 recently and I've never reset the SMC on any of my Macs. Ever.
Good for you then. But in this case it is (or at least was - not sure yet) a necessity for rMBP owners under certain conditions. Mine was fresh out of the box (i.e. not being tinkered with) and the difference in fps before and after the SMC reset was huge.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Good for you then. But in this case it is (or at least was - not sure yet) a necessity for rMBP owners under certain conditions. Mine was fresh out of the box (i.e. not being tinkered with) and the difference in fps before and after the SMC reset was huge.

Well, I have a rMBP 15". I get smooth 60 fps at some decent settings.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Well, I have a rMBP 15". I get smooth 60 fps at some decent settings.
My apologies for being imprecise. Of course ymmv - I am one of the unlucky ones that were actually affected and thus can confirm that _some_ problems actually exist(ed).

JonasCalhoun

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
Talked again with AppleCare, at this point the only fix is to re-install the OS, and not install this update. I've collected data for Apple a couple of times, hopefully this will help.

Dan

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Mine have been running with this update for several days, and I noticed the power management has vastly improved. The CPU now runs much cooler than ever before, I saw as cool as 30 degrees Celsius when I am working on spreadsheets in my office.

Also even if I have installed dual drive in my MBP, I now can get 7.5 hrs of battery life out of it, running on integrated GPU for most of the time.

I love my spec-bumped MBP, way to go!!:D

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
On my rMBP (16 GB, 750 GB Flash, 2.6) Editing video in FCP7, encoding in Sorensen squeeze and running my bootcamp partition in a VM via VMWare Fusion 5 all at the same time gets me near 4 hours of solid battery life without issues. (Graphics set to integrated only with gfxstatus). (Working with uncompressed AVIs and ProRes)

My machine currently handles all this flawlessly. You couldn't pay me to do this update lol

Last edited:

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has released a 127.07 MB update for all the Mac notebooks introduced in June 2012 -- the new MacBook Air models, as well as the spec-bumped MacBook Pro, and the MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display.

Apple is nonspecific about the exact issues the update fixes, but mentions graphics performance and compatibility with USB devices:
The update is available via Apple's support website or the Mac App Store.

Installing the update also changes the build number of OS X 10.8.2 from 12C60 to 12C3006.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Update 2.0

Lets see what this update can really do? I hope it solves most of the issues out there that some people are experiencing.

kubaw

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
I've just reverted to pre-update version of 10.8.2. This laptop is my working machine and I'd rather deal with some interface lags than continuous issues with keychains, permissions and applications refusing to start. I am very disapointed. I have never experienced such problems with any Apple udpate.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Why, if these are working systems, would you update as soon as any patch is released (unless it is an essential security fix)?

It is this same mentality you see with users clicking on yes on website pop ups and then they cry when they get a virus.

Maybe, if you rely on your system you wait a few days or weeks prior to updating to ensure that you will not be buggering up your system.

Remember that although Apple test these updates they, in all likely hood will not be testing it on a system running half of the applications that you will be running at home.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
Why, if these are working systems, would you update as soon as any patch is released

AMEN .. I thank guinea pigs worldwide as they have suffered so I can assure myself a working computer. Although, I can't believe Apple would release such a broken update.

Sabretooth78

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Western NY
Has anybody else noticed different behavior with sleep regarding the Mid-2012 cMBP since the update?

Mine now wakes from "deep sleep" after the clamshell has been closed for more than an hour or so. Prior to the update, it would wake immediately regardless of the time spent sleeping. This occurs both on battery and AC power.

I don't have a problem with the new behavior, per se, but I would like to verify that this is intended operation.

rheftmann

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Camera on my Air flamed out

Probably just a nasty coincidence, but my FaceTime/iSight camera died. Not listed as a USB device. It's a hardware failure, confirmed by Apple Genius. Just after the upgrade, the Air got hot and hyperventilated for about ten minutes. Next time I looked, no camera.
Anybody else have a USB failure?

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
No, I don't suffer any issues mentioned above, I just tried to open up Aperture, Motion 5 and PS CS6 (Trial version) and nothing acted abnormally. Or would you guys mind recommending some apps for me to try and see if I am really free from issues or not.:apple:

My Facetime Camera is fine for now.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Probably just a nasty coincidence, but my FaceTime/iSight camera died. Not listed as a USB device. It's a hardware failure, confirmed by Apple Genius. Just after the upgrade, the Air got hot and hyperventilated for about ten minutes. Next time I looked, no camera.
Anybody else have a USB failure?
I had the camera quit working on my 11" Air, but it was way before this update.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Has anybody else noticed different behavior with sleep regarding the Mid-2012 cMBP since the update?

Mine now wakes from "deep sleep" after the clamshell has been closed for more than an hour or so. Prior to the update, it would wake immediately regardless of the time spent sleeping. This occurs both on battery and AC power.

I don't have a problem with the new behavior, per se, but I would like to verify that this is intended operation.

Mine is exactly the same (same model too).

Previously, it would simply 'sleep', even overnight, and make in a few seconds.

Now since this update, it seems to hibernate after an hour or so, and then takes up to a minute to fully 'resume' once the lid is opened. I'm not sure why this has changed, or if it is possible to revert to the previous behaviour?

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Previously, it would simply 'sleep', even overnight, and make in a few seconds.

Now since this update, it seems to hibernate after an hour or so, and then takes up to a minute to fully 'resume' once the lid is opened. I'm not sure why this has changed, or if it is possible to revert to the previous behaviour?

My rMBP has been doing that since I bought it in July (my previous 13" MBP always came out of sleep immediately, however long it was in sleep mode), but the latest update has prolonged it after a deep sleep. Takes up to a minute to be able to log back in.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Very, very strangely, I've come to my cMBP this afternoon (it has been 'asleep' all day) and on opening the lid, it's jumped back in to life within 2-3 seconds, like it always used to!

I absolutely love these random "puzzles"!

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
My rMBP seems to work great after the update. In fact, the occasional sluggish GUI graphics performance that I had previously noticed seems to be fixed, unless it's because I am now running everything in "best for retina" mode rather than trying to make my desktop larger (maybe that has something to do with it running smoother). I might switch back to the larger desktop only when I am programming because Xcode loves lots of desktop real estate.

slippytoad

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Has anyone with 2 connected Cinema displays noticed that they are switched after applying this update? After rebooting they came back reversed and I had to physically swap the two DisplayPort cables to get it back to how it was.

Syndra

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
At least not out of the box. Got a new rMBP (with 10.8 pre-installed) and put all available updates on it (including that EFI 2.0 update). Was disappointed by low fps-rate in WoW, found threads about the issue and could cure the problem by resetting SMC - after the patch was already installed.

Not sure though whether it was a one-time reset that was necessary after the update or whether the update did _not_ fix the issue. Will test this today or tomorrow...

Probably most games that are a little more demanding than Minesweeper...

Thanks for the heads up/effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.