Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
I have not been able to access the iOS Dev page since yesterday. Is their any direct links to the downloads anyone can post?

MichaelJohnston

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
San Luis Obispo
please fix the battery issue! i can't get more then 4.5 hours usage.. ever..

1% used every 2 minutes is unacceptable!

I was getting terrible battery life on my 5 until I turned off location services for Passbook. It was checking to see if Starbucks was nearby a bit more often than necessary.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
"This had better fix the (insert favorite alleged widespread but ignored by Apple on purpose issue) or else I will chuck all my Apple gear and go rogue!"

There, I got that tired old rag out of the way for everyone.

And no, you still can't downgrade to iOS 5 and get Google Maps back. And no, your WiFi issue will still be there because you have a cheap wireless router whose obsolete firmware hasn't been updated in years and you don't know how to do it anyway.

----------

Baloney.

OS X doesn't have live wallpapers by default. You've always been able to find apps that allowed it. I did a long time ago. It was interesting for about 2 minutes.

Here is the thing, if that is the reason you are jumping from iOS to Android, wow.

I think that Apple is designing a device in which you can just jump on and you can play without tinkering, just like a console with gaming. But if you more options, go ahead and use Android, but like in gaming, jumping from console to PC, you face the hassle of setting up your device, and have to content with the fact you don't have access to the same number of apps [well apps lets say the PC wins on this end] and games as you can get on iOS.

Android:
More options
Less apps

iOS:
More apps
Less options.

I just used ONE example.
There are other things too.
- Quick access buttons in the Notification area.
- Battery consumption details. (This one is big for me since i run out of battery during the day and would like to know how I can better manage my battery and get more out of it.)
- Usage warnings and blocks on data. You can set how much data the phone can use and then block the rest so you don't go over your monthly usage since not everyone has unlimited data.
- Changing default programs.

These are just SOME of the examples.

Trust me, i'm not saying that android is better. If i thought that I'd have a Galaxy S3 in my hand instead of the iPhone 5. What I am saying is that Apple need to continue leaping like android is instead of just strolling along.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
All I can say is I hope netflix is fixed, I am totally fed up of audio and video not being in sync, it randomly going black, it randomly closing in the middle of a film and then forgetting where it was

That, and airplay randomly drops out on me all the time now with the same result - iTunes has no memory of where I was in the video, and I'm forced to find my place again. And then it drops out again... (repeat cycle)

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I am pretty sure their strategy is to make battery life as bad as possible so you have to buy more of their overpriced charging cords. It worked on me at least my phone cannot make it through a full day of work.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
... And perhaps the most significant change in 6.1 (at least for me and many other Danes): The enabling of the 1800 MHz band for LTE!

I can't wait for the public release!

spyd4r

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
I was getting terrible battery life on my 5 until I turned off location services for Passbook. It was checking to see if Starbucks was nearby a bit more often than necessary.

i'll give it a go and see if there is a difference tomorrow during the day at work.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Now I'm not saying this is due to Forstall getting the boot, but check out the new design for the Passbook start screen.

It's definitely A LOT "flatter" than the previous design, is it possible they're working that fast?

Here's the old one for reference: Image

design is better, but I prefer not to read a long paragraph.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Does anyone know if the App Store (Genius, Purchased apps, etc) works in 6.1?

It has never worked for me in 6.0.x

It works for me on 6.1 but has worked on 6.0 and 6.0.1 as well

That new passbook information screen is a card for passbook. So it's there even if you have a pass unlike the previous one which disappeared once you added your first pass. It can be deleted like a pass as well

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The biggest complain I hear from all my iPhone using friends is how boring it's become. There is nothing "new" or "fresh" available on the phone anymore.

I wonder how much longer will it take Apple to start allowing users to change "Themes" on the iPhone and give people a bit more control of what there phone can and cannot do.
Themes is a wrong way to solve "boredom". It may be fun for a little while but they are more of a distraction than bringing true usability improvements.

Making iOS more exciting doesn't take a whole lot. Apple needs to improve areas that are either not working well or becoming long in the tooth, such as:
  • Lock screen: Vast wasted opportunity to show more useful information and ability to launch apps other than Camera (iPhone) or slide show (iPad)
  • Notification Center: So many usability issues, ugly linen
  • Springboard: Need better ways to organize and keep track of apps, almost useless Spotlight search occupying prime real estate (I would love for it to be replaced with Siri that can accept text input)
  • Status bar: Go back to black status bar (or offer few color choices, such as white) and allow users to remove/add additional information
  • Settings: A big giant maze with discoverability issues

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
iOS needs something that analyzes your battery usage by app per day, i loved that on android.

easier to find the culprit and less people to bitch about the horrible battery life

and the settings app is a mess by now, u can find everything but nothing in there

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
The biggest complain I hear from all my iPhone using friends is how boring it's become. There is nothing "new" or "fresh" available on the phone anymore.

I wonder how much longer will it take Apple to start allowing users to change "Themes" on the iPhone and give people a bit more control of what there phone can and cannot do.
Smartphone users are getting more involved and are more aware of technology now. I think people want these extras...

Don't tease me. UI customization was my favorite thing about having a jailbroken phone. They could make so much money off of themes sold through iTunes; they *have* to know that.

Sure, there are some Cydia apps I miss, but mostly I'm tired of Helvetica, grey linen, and glossy plastic icons/UI elements.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.