Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
If Apple had opted for a 7" inch screen, maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, not only would the PPI be higher (182) but the Mini would be easier to grasp in one hand.

Last edited:

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
If Apple had opted for a 7" inch screen not only would the PPI be higher (182) but the Mini would be easier to grasp in one hand.

WTF ar you babbling about? The size is perfect. 4:3 is perfect, esp. in portrait mode. Wait for the retina version.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
If Apple had opted for a 7" inch screen not only would the PPI be higher (182) but the Mini would be easier to grasp in one hand.

Its true the nexus 7 is so much easier to hold. The screen is so much better as well.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Its true the nexus 7 is so much easier to hold. The screen is so much better as well.

I do like the 7" size but to be honest I think a little bit larger it could have been better..like a 7.5". Bugs how the bottom navigation panel takes up a portion of the bottom of the screen and all the text on the device is tiny (by default) though at least it can be adjusted.

I'm a landscape fan, I could never understand WHY anyone likes to hold their tablet in portrait mode..perhaps its because everything comes in a wide-screen format these days from monitors to TVs.

I haven't had a chance to handle the 7.85" mini yet would be interesting but to be honest I think buying another tablet is off the list because I already own more than I can even deal with at the moment...an iPad 3, Xoom, Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think the 7,9 is a great screen size and 4:3 is perfect for a tablet. I played with a nexus 7 and didn't like the 16:9 and smaller 7" screen. I hope apple never goes to 16:9 on a tablet. You want something smaller get an iPod touch or a Nexus 7.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I never post on here but i had too on this one

7 inch screen is useless.

They picked a fantastic size at almost 8 inches.

you need a 4:3 ratio on a "pad".

They got this 100% correct and actually make the ipad mini useful. I've used the other 7 inch tablets and they are too frustrating too use b/c it feels compromised b/c the screen is too small.

Did you not watch the keynote?

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I never post on here but i had too on this one

7 inch screen is useless.

They picked a fantastic size at almost 8 inches.

you need a 4:3 ratio on a "pad".

They got this 100% correct and actually make the ipad mini useful. I've used the other 7 inch tablets and they are too frustrating too use b/c it feels compromised b/c the screen is too small.

Did you not watch the keynote?

Well said ..the screen size is perfect ...sounds like the op needs an iPod touch

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
so go buy and use a nexus 7 and start pointless threads on android central to complain about lag and what have you

I didn't start this thread and why do you have to be such a jerk. I am sorry that not everyone only buys apple products on this forum. I buy what works best for me.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
I agree 7" would have made much more sense overall. Don't say anything negative though or the apologists pounce, as this is their small corner of the Internet where they can feel special and original for buying something with an apple logo.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
so go buy and use a nexus 7 and start pointless threads on android central to complain about lag and what have you

I love how angry some of you get with the simple mention of a non-apple product especially when it actually does relate to the topic, chill out. Nothing to get all angry about. ;)

Just for your info there isn't a bit of lag under jellybean android, in fact even on the two year old xoom that I have runs smooth after the upgrade.

I like my iPad for certain things and like my android for others, blindly sticking to one company only benefits the company itself not the consumer.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So what are you actually asking for? 7" in the same 4:3 or 7" in 16:10 like the nexus 7?

I own both, and haven't touched the Nexus 7 since I bought the mini. And I probably rarely will (I have to keep it for app testing.)

I'd say the 7 is slightly easier to hold, but web browsing is just so much better on the mini. Also typing doesn't even compare, the Mini blows it out of the water because you can touch type on it while it is on a desk, or thumb type while holding it in two hands. The Nexus 7 doesn't allow touch typing because of the "soft keys." When touch typing with your thumb on the space bar you will often hit the home button, quitting out of whatever you are doing.

Then there are the fonts (or lack there of) - in Kindle on Android you have one font, and it sucks. Kindle for iOS has a couple of fonts which you can choose from. Major advantage to iOS.

Overall my point is the 4:3 screen is what makes the iPad better in my opinion (Other than actual apps themselves.)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The OP is going to get a lot of crap because you're simply not allowed to say anything negative about the Mini around here yet. But he does make a good point. 7.9" is a nice screen size but its a bit of a stretch to call this "one-handed".

Personally I like the size but feel its just millimeters too wide because,unlike the Nexus 7 or Kindles, it doesnt fit in a back pocket. And that is actually something people out here wanted from a smaller iPad before we found out it would be this big.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
But then it couldn't run existing iPad apps without all touch targets being unusably small.

The iPad Mini has a 7.9" screen because that gives it the same ppi (163) as the non-retina iPhones, so almost all touch targets are the same physical size as they would be on an iPhone.

If they had done a smaller screen it would have had to run iPhone apps only until developers created 7" specific versions.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

If Apple had opted for a 6" inch screen not only would the PPI be higher (212) but the Mini would be easier to grasp in one hand.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
If Apple had opted for a 6" inch screen not only would the PPI be higher (212) but the Mini would be easier to grasp in one hand.

How about we make a compromise: 6.5" (4:3 ratio)? Let us rage against Apple together.

Last edited:

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Why does 7" have to be 16:9?

Screen measurements are diagonal, and you don't want to end up with strange pixel counts like 700x300, so I think the number of possible sizes are limited.

I happen to be able to hold the Nexus 7 in one hand, but most people with smaller hands still cannot, so I wouldn't fault the Ipad Mini for being wider. Phones are designed for 1 hand. Tablets are not.

I actually think the 4:3 ratio for web sites works better. I find myself zooming in all the time on the Nexus, where I can often read web pages zoomed out on iOS devices. It seems like the Android ecosystem latched onto 16:9 to optimize for movies, but how often do you watch movies? 4:3 provides a more versatile canvas for all types of uses.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Screen measurements are diagonal, and you don't want to end up with strange pixel counts like 700x300, so I think the number of possible sizes are limited.

I happen to be able to hold the Nexus 7 in one hand, but most people with smaller hands still cannot, so I wouldn't fault the Ipad Mini for being wider. Phones are designed for 1 hand. Tablets are not.

I actually think the 4:3 ratio for web sites works better. I find myself zooming in all the time on the Nexus, where I can often read web pages zoomed out on iOS devices. It seems like the Android ecosystem latched onto 16:9 to optimize for movies, but how often do you watch movies? 4:3 provides a more versatile canvas for all types of uses.

A 7" screen with a 1024x768 pixel count is possible, no?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I love how angry some of you get with the simple mention of a non-apple product especially when it actually does relate to the topic, chill out.

What I love is any door a non-Apple fan sees open, they run into the room and declare their product superior. Any room. It doesn't matter whether the people in the room actually want to hear about non-Apple devices or not.

"And the screen is so much better as well" - that was a totally unnecessary and off-topic comment.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
I agree, a 7.9-inch screen is too big for my hands, but then again I can barely reach an octave on a piano.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
The OP is going to get a lot of crap because you're simply not allowed to say anything negative about the Mini around here yet. But he does make a good point. 7.9" is a nice screen size but its a bit of a stretch to call this "one-handed".

There's no need to grasp on both edges. I find it balances nicely on the fingers and you don't actually need to grip it at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.