Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
I do have a case: using an Apple Bumper at the moment.

Do you think having a case is really worth it?
Does it spoil the amazing iPhone design or not?
Does it actually protect your iPhone from impact?

What do you think?

Cheers!

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I am using my old Samsung galaxy s2 leather wallet. Perfect fit!
Have asked Santa for a £50 knomo one though...

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I never used to put cases on any iphones before the 4. With the 4 and 4S, they felt uncomfortable to hold with their super hard and sharp edges. So i put an incipio feather on the 4 and then 4S to soften them up.

With the 5, instinctively i bought a feather for it. When it came in the mail, i opened it, put it on, and then took it right off. Didn't like the way it felt, plus it had a lip which annoyed me when swiping back and forth on the screen.

Then i bought a Spigen ultra thin air. I thought it might be thinner and have no lip. That wasn't the case lol, So i'm still caseless and keeping it that way.

friborgcr

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
I have this awesome Tangram case and it's awesome. It's a steel bumper case and it's very light. You can insert a single credit card at the back, and the money clip is an option. I've never changed cases since buying this.

http://tangramdesignstore.com/

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I've got the OtterBox for the iPhone 5. It's like a BadA$$ rubber brick with an impossibly thin phone inside. I like it.

Ditto, mine is the Commuter. The phone feels substantial without much extra weight and now it doesn't feel like the phone will slip out of my hands easily and I have a sense of security that if it should take a fall it will probably survive without a cracked screen or dented and scratched chassis.

Sure I love the look and feel of the the phone without a case but I know I would be kicking myself if it ever slipped out of my hands.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Only for the gym or when going out on a weekend night drinking. Those are the times I tend to drop my phone. Otherwise I am careful enough not to mess it up badly. I just don't want it to drop and shatter.

nicmeredith

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I just bought the iPhone 5, and I broke down and bought a case for it. Rarely ever did I have a case on my 4S, but the 5 scares me haha The case I have is an ifrogs I picked up at walmart but its a sweet color. I needed something that I could tell my phone and my bosses phone apart, and this case is small enough to not make it a brick, protects it, and makes it MINE.

AdrainSingapore

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I have never had a case before the 4S, but when I bought the 5, it felt awkward to hold as I have big hands, so I bought a high gloss tpu case and another Matt see through tpu case.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I do have a case: using an Apple Bumper at the moment.

Do you think having a case is really worth it?
Does it spoil the amazing iPhone design or not?
Does it actually protect your iPhone from impact?

What do you think?

Cheers!

I do have a case on my iPhone 5. I didn't for a while on my iPhone 4.

There's a pretty big difference in my opinion.

On the 4, the weight and thickness was perfect to me, so I felt like the case added unnecessary bulk. But I dropped my phone a few times and it was always when I wasn't using a case.

On my 5, the design is beautiful, but it feels too light and thin without a case.

I have the Speck Pixelskin HD in the Harbor blue color on a white phone and I think it looks and feels amazing.

WatchYouGo

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah, I have a case. I got the speck case from the Apple store. I like the fact that it will keep my black iPhone 5 looking fresh, but I honestly hate the fact that my phone basically looks like a 4 or 4S. It also doesn't work with my auxiliary jack that's in my car.

I had the antenna gate iPhone 4, I'm not happy about having to keep a case on this one too. My wife bought the white iphone 5, it will hold up much better over time.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Have a case because I would drop the phone for sure if I didn't.

I have the Speck Candyshell Grip which I love overall but am going to change from because it scratches way too easily. Going to switch to the Speck Pixelskin HD which I had for the 4 and 4S and loved.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
After my first drop, I rushed to get a case.

I use an Incipio Feather. It won't help in drops, but the extra grip and the scratch protection gives me peace of mind. It looks and feels great also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.