Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those buying the iMac 2012, which version are you getting?

• I'm buying the 21" version.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I'm going to wait for the 27" version.

Votes: 81 66.4%
  • I'm going to buy both when they are available.

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BriMercer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I was just curious about demand for the new iMac 2012. For those of you buying, are you getting the 21" version of the 27" version?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Damn...I'm currently on my own for the 21.5" option...

If I had the money, I'd definitely get the 27".

Randell

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
I've been going back and forth with myself, I originally was going for the 21, then said the 27, then I decided I didn't need a screen that big, so back to the 21, then I got tired of waiting and bought the Mini Mac, decided at one point if I liked it I would keep it and save the money for a 21, but didn't like it, sent it back. Now I'm going back and forth again. lol

My thing is though, I've been using a 17 laptop (3 different ones) for about 8 years now and don't think I need the 27, I love big screens for movies (I have a 72 TV) but for a computer, I think it would be a waste of money. If I played games, it would be different but the only thing I play is poker on Facebook and I want the new Sim City game when it comes out.

I'm just ready for the things to come, this will be my first Mac (excluding the Mini that I had for 3 days), finally getting off the PC.

MsDalfo

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
I was going to get a new 27". Then I saw that they removed the optical drive and RAM door.

I currently own a 15" MBP, but I'm going to be investing in a refurb 27" once the new 27" comes out. For my uses (graphic design with a little side of gaming) I think it's worth the extra screen real-estate.

I was considering a 21.5" and getting a second monitor, but have decided that one larger screen (and the availability for a boost on the graphics card) makes the larger one worth it (I'm sure I'll get used to it...?).

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
27" with the fastest CPU and GPU, then send to OWC for an SSD and a ram upgrade (plus external optical and backup HDD)

Any word on drive bays? I am worried that with apple liking dieting that someone could have decided nobody wanted more than one internal drive.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
27" with the fastest CPU and GPU, then send to OWC for an SSD and a ram upgrade (plus external optical and backup HDD)

Any word on drive bays? I am worried that with apple liking dieting that someone could have decided nobody wanted more than one internal drive.

There is only 1 drive bay. There is also a spot on the logic board for one of Apple's proprietary SSD daughter boards. I believe OWC has aftermarket SSD daughter boards that should work in it though.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
21.5" Basic Model if I still decide to get one but not right away after I save if I even still want one.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
There is only 1 drive bay. There is also a spot on the logic board for one of Apple's proprietary SSD daughter boards. I believe OWC has aftermarket SSD daughter boards that should work in it though.

Thanks for the info. That is a really backwards design decision though as even a mini has 2 bays.

Maybe OWC will change their process for 2011 where they did not migrate data. If there is no optical bay and my bootable drive has been swapped out for an SSD ...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was just curious about demand for the new iMac 2012. For those of you buying, are you getting the 21" version of the 27" version?

WHat to get depends on how you use the computer. I think for tasks like video editing you need all the screen space you can get. Same goes for if you use Apple's Logic or Aperture. All of those apps are big users of screen space.

On the other hand if you are doing emails and web surfing the 27" is a bit of a waste as much of the screen will not be used

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
This will be my first iMac and I'll be going with the 27 inch model, has the ram is accessible self upgradable. I'll be upgrading the ram has its really cheap, and the 27 inch also gives me the option to upgrade the ram further if needs be in the future.

BriMercer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
It looks like for every one person who wants the 21" version, there are two that want the 27" version. This is what I would have intuitively guessed -- the 27" is so much more stunning and dramatic than the 21" version -- but I was baffled by some on this forum that thought there would be more demand for the smaller version.

Here's hoping Pre-order Day isn't too far away.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
It looks like for every one person who wants the 21" version, there are two that want the 27" version. This is what I would have intuitively guessed -- the 27" is so much more stunning and dramatic than the 21" version -- but I was baffled by some on this forum that thought there would be more demand for the smaller version.

I was one of those that said the demand would be higher for the 21"... but I also said that if you were to ask on these forums, the 27" would be the most popular by far. I still stand by the fact that the base 21" is going to be the most popular model overall.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I was one of those that said the demand would be higher for the 21"... but I also said that if you were to ask on these forums, the 27" would be the most popular by far. I still stand by the fact that the base 21" is going to be the most popular model overall.

I agree. Looking at stocks of previous imacs on websites (UK ones) the 21inch went out of stock much before the 27inch did, and most people I know with imacs have the smaller version. Us on the forums are of a different breed to most, power users, interested in computers, and such many will go for the 27. Myself coming from a 15inch mbp, 21.5 will do me just fine :)

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011

Well, are u surprised? I will go for 21.5, not because I dont like the 27 model more, but because it more cost savvy for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.