Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I wonder if Apple will own the rights to all of these "personal projects," or if they just maintain right of first refusal.

They are not "personal projects" and there is absolutely nothing in the original article that refers to them as personal projects.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
As Scott Adams (the writer of Dilbert) put in a comic... They get 20% to work on personal stuff, but they work 60 hours a week.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-12-19/

A buddy of mine interned at Google this summer (he's a CS major). He said that engineer's at Google actually don't have a determined work schedule and can work anytime a day for any period of time. But employees usually work at least 8 hours a day, most times working longer because Google treats them so well they don't want to be let go. Employees willingly work more than most people because they enjoy working at Mountain View so much

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't know what planet you're living on, but Apple absolutely spies on its customers. Siri... Maps... iTunes purchases... App store purchases... iMessages...

Hell, Apple even allowed third-party developers complete access to your entire contact list. I can't even imagine why the developers of Angry Birds would need that information.

Apple spies on its customers? What evidence do you have that anyone can hear what you say to Siri? What evidence do you have that anyone can find out what you do with maps? Does anyone get told about your iTunes purchases? Or App Store purchases? Does anyone get to read or listen to your iMessages other than the person they are intended to?

Your second part: Apple reviews applications. That process is not perfect. When there are problems, they get fixed. Do you think Google stops _any_ Android app from reading contacts on an Android phone?

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
When I worked for Apple retail they let me spend 15-25 hours every week working on my own projects. They called it working "part-time".

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't know what planet you're living on, but Apple absolutely spies on its customers. Siri... Maps... iTunes purchases... App store purchases... iMessages...
(snip)
The only difference between Apple and Google is that Google uses the information to make money off your existing behavioral patterns, and Apple uses the information to try to change your behaviors (adopting new software/hardware, or making iTunes purchases).

Apple sells ad placements using the data they've gathered on us, just like Google.

Neither one sells any personal info.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
So little information, yet so much cynicism and apparent expertise. I'd love to know more so I could form an informed opinion.

I've kind of been wondering if the C-level moves were to open up the field for the next level(s) down to crave out some space to shine. This would seem to be another move in the same direction. Will it work, no idea without more info or time. It really could go either way.

To me it seems like a good transition plan for finding the right people to replace the top brass when the time comes.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
In other words, Apple is losing it's innovation, so it lets a small group of its creatives play around which they hope will strike gold for Apple.

Normal. And who wouldn't do this?

Just like Netflix publishing a public challenge with a million dollar reward because Netflix's employees were too incompetent to solve the problem.

Some professors in Isreal ended up providing Netflix the optimal algorithm to their challenge.

It's normal.

How are these two statements in any way related?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
something to think about is often times the projects are not going to make employee some money.
At where i work we are allowed to take some time to work on side projects.
Some of these projects have come back with tools that help us out in development making our lives a lot easier to change data for testing and debugging purposes. Yeah we could do it before but required jumping threw a lot of hoops and one could really screw up their system.

Hell the software I work on I have at least 5 difference version of it installed on my computer and I use a tool to switch between them a lot easier. There is a reason for this and tools make it easier.

That is some of the stuff that came out of it. None of it is going into the product ever. Mostly we got some good support and development tools out of it. Things that never would of been developed other wise.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...according to the WSJ blue sky was a Forstall program. Wonder if Cook will keep it around? Though I've got to believe there are other teams at Apple doing this. I'm guessing its probably not something that new at all.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Too little too late

Quite true, I agree completely.

Sadly those who haven't been around for a long time are unaware that this practice was begun by Apple as far back as 1993.

It was a regular part of their creative process.

Then when the iEra dawned and sales took off, they stopped the practice.

A bit short sighted I'd say.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think it was a good idea at Google and hopefully it will be a good idea at Apple. Giving creative people a bit of freedom can't be a bad thing, can it?

Correct. Apple is copying Google. Oh no, time to sue.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Quite true, I agree completely.

Sadly those who haven't been around for a long time are unaware that this practice was begun by Apple as far back as 1993.

It was a regular part of their creative process.

Then when the iEra dawned and sales took off, they stopped the practice.

A bit short sighted I'd say.

Maybe, maybe not. It could be that the iDevice era simply resulted in too much project work to be able to afford the 20% practice.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
They are not "personal projects" and there is absolutely nothing in the original article that refers to them as personal projects.

regret.gif

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Nothing promotes employee unity like giving a small percentage of them special privileges.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What's newsworthy about this except it probably didn't happen while Steve was running the show (NOT implying its a bad idea).

If Apple's new plans are not newsworthy on an Apple news/rumors site, I don't know what is besides product launches and company statements.

----------

****, Apple even allowed third-party developers complete access to your entire contact list. I can't even imagine why the developers of Angry Birds would need that information.

The only difference between Apple and Google is that Google uses the information to make money off your existing behavioral patterns, and Apple uses the information to try to change your behaviors (adopting new software/hardware, or making iTunes purchases).

It doesn't matter if it's Google, Yahoo, Apple, Microsoft or Facebook. If you are using the internet on any device, your data is being mined.

That is, of course, unless you just say "no" when it asks if it can access your contacts, location, or whatever it is. I'd say "no" for Angry Birds and such because I just don't want the apps to waste resources doing useless stuff like that.

But really, there's no reason to be afraid of anonymous data mining unless you just don't want it to be wasting your bandwidth or time. The fact that clicking a Google result takes you to a Google page that redirects you to the result in order to track your click is annoying because it slows me down.

----------

Oh please. This has been going on forever. They're just now making it formal. Of recent history, the Remote.app for iOS/Apple TV was developed as a side project like this.

Apple engineers switch from pet projects to major products all the time.

http://sachin.posterous.com/apple-is-run-like-a-huge-startup

Was the original Apple TV one of these pet projects? I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

----------

Nothing promotes employee unity like giving a small percentage of them special privileges.

I know this is supposed to be sarcastic, but it's actually true. Giving everyone the privilege to make a pet project would be anarchy somewhat by definition.

----------

Apple owns you if you work for them including outside of work. Thus why some leave.
Current policy.

If you want your project to not be owned by Apple, don't use Apple's resources to make it happen. More startups = good anyway.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Just like Netflix publishing a public challenge with a million dollar reward because Netflix's employees were too incompetent to solve the problem.

Some professors in Isreal ended up providing Netflix the optimal algorithm to their challenge.

"Too incompetent" isn't the word I'd use - the suggested improved algorithm was a very sophisticated piece of math. Indeed, the prize ended up not working as intended. It was too complex to implement in production, and not worth it given the shift to internet-based delivery vs. in-mail DVDs.

----------

There is no reason for you to allow your employees to work on side projects when you have work to assign them.

Side projects have been shown to actually boost productivity.

Side projects develop unexpected products. Where would 3M be without the Post-It note?

Also, these could just as easily be "open problems" rather than "whatever you want" problems.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Another hint that Jobs maybe had some good ideas but had no leadership skills at all.

S

syd430

What might be good for Google might not fit into Apples culture as seamlessly.Just because x% time works at Google doesn't mean its a great idea for Apple.

Everyday it seems that Tim's main mission is to make Apple more like any other tech company, rather leveraging what makes Apple unique. Their half-assed "me-to" nexus 7 clone aka ipad mini is the best example of this to date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.