Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liege168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Went to the local AT&T store to order a 5. Told me that the trade-in value for my 4S 64G would be $270. I think it's not bad... Any thoughts?

They also did mention that they would the $270 will be issued in an AT&T Promotion Card that can be used towards anything purchases? Wondering if I could use it towards a iPad Mini once available at AT&T store? Also told me that I need to use the card within 30-days? Anyone had experience with a trade-in?

Thanks.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Went to the local AT&T store to order a 5. Told me that the trade-in value for my 4S 64G would be $270. I think it's not bad... Any thoughts?

They also did mention that they would the $270 will be issued in an AT&T Promotion Card that can be used towards anything purchases? Wondering if I could use it towards a iPad Mini once available at AT&T store? Also told me that I need to use the card within 30-days? Anyone had experience with a trade-in?

Thanks.

$270 for a 64gig AT&T iPhone 4S is terrible, sell it for like $450.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Do that if you want to play it safe.

Otherwise, you can have at&t unlock it for free (have them do it from their end, online request won't work if you're still in contract) and sell it for around $500, once you've upgraded to the iPhone 5.

liege168

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Had no idea it could fetch this much? Any web sites I should consider for trade-in other than eBay? Thanks.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC
I usually sell my used phones on Craigslist where I can deal with someone face to face and not get taken. Cash only.....hand the phone over & get cash.
Around here the 4S iPHones in good to excellent condition are going for between $325-$400 asking.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Had no idea it could fetch this much? Any web sites I should consider for trade-in other than eBay? Thanks.

if it's in near perfect condition(could always just get it replaced at Apple then sell it) you can get pretty close to $500 for it.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
how can you get it replace if its in perfect condition?

I don't think you read it right, I said IF it's in near perfect condition(you could always get it replaced by apple) which means if it's not in near perfect condition you can just get it replaced by Apple.

rapidfire77

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
i sold mine on ebay a week before the 5 came out. it was like new with absolutely no scratches. it fetched 480 - ebay fees. at the time, the best buy back program offered $375. There was a study made on the buyback value of the 4S in the weeks before and after which saw the average price drop from near 475 to below 300. I priced the exact same phone 10 days after and couldn't get more than $300 through such programs.

craigslist might be a good option. if you go that route or ebay, just be smart and careful about who you are dealing with. the trade off for getting just 275 for it is that it's hassle free. you can also tap your friends and your social circle as in mine...there is always someone willing to buy.

unlocking isn't much of an issue anymore. i sold mine locked and the buyer didn't seem to care. usually people that want it unlocked live outside the US, and are trickier to deal with.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada

Thanks.

Horrible price. I sold my 4s, 16gb for $380 canadian back in october. I think you can get way more for your phone provided that it doesnt have scratches and runs well.

Sledguyry

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I got $485 on eBay for my 64gb 4s att that I unlocked for $5 with unlock fusion. Definitely don't trade it in.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The way I look at it, I'd rather get less money and NOT have to deal with ebay or Craigslist people. There are so many scams on Craigslist that I won't even bother with them at all any more, there are more scammers than actual decent deals on there any more. By the time you deal with people bidding on ebay and never paying, changing their mind, etc. and having to relist, I'd just rather cut my losses and get a little less for the phone with a lot less headache!

Hey, I bought my iPhone 5 then used what Verizon gave me for it to buy all my accessories. Got two cases, two extra USB Lightning cables, and two 30 pin to Lightning adapters and got a credit on my first bill. I was happy!

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
I sold my locked black 16g 4S ATT for $330 on Sep 10 to the 1st person that called.I should have asked more since I got so many calls.Couldn't get the ad off craigslist fast enough.Unlocked is worth more.

Last edited:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
you're supposed to sell your old iPhone a few weeks before the new one gets announced for maximum profit lol and just switch to a basic phone. Like maybe a week or 2 before announcement.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
That's exactly what I did bit I did w/o a phone,period for 2 weeks.Lucky I have Skype.

you're supposed to sell your old iPhone a few weeks before the new one gets announced for maximum profit lol and just switch to a basic phone. Like maybe a week or 2 before announcement.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I don't think you read it right, I said IF it's in near perfect condition(you could always get it replaced by apple) which means if it's not in near perfect condition you can just get it replaced by Apple.

:confused: Why would apple replace your phone if there is nothing wrong with it except for a few cosmetic issues?

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
$270 for 4S? Heck, unlocked iPhone 4's still go for that price. Sell it on eBay or Craigslist and you'll probably get over $400 for it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Selling it two weeks before the new iPhone streets gets you only $50 more than waiting 7 weeks (once the flurry of used iPhones hitting the market has dried up a bit and they sell for a bit more before dropping again). Personally, $50 isn't worth being without my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.