Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
All this talk about passbook, how come passbook's not available on the iPad? Sure it's not feasible for everything day to day, but when I'm travelling more often than not, the Pad doubles as an online air ticket & paperfree boarding, exactly the type of thing passbook's for!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

So what? Look, there are a lot of reasons why a cell phone battery drains fast. The aforementioned rogue app. Weak cell signal that causes it to reach out for heartbeat continuously. Weak wifi signal. Location services that are grinding away all day. Or perhaps you have a piece of bad hardware. But I will tell you that I unplug my iPhone 5 every morning around 5:15 AM. I use it almost non-stop all day long, and I still have a good charge on it when I plug it back in at around 6:45 PM, almost every day. There are also nights where I will unplug it and use it on my nightstand, and let it sit there all night long off the charger, after going to sleep listening to an audible book. The next morning it will still have anywhere from 88-92% left, and a quick charge will top it off for the day. I run Bluetooth constantly, have wifi on 24/7, don't disable any location services, and have my screen set to the brightest setting (old eyes :D )

My 4S battery life got really bad right after I put 5 on it. But my 5 does great. I also know a bunch of people (approximately 20-25) who have iPhone 5s, and none of them are having problems with battery life.

Not sure who your carrier is, but think about this: If you are using a VZ phone on LTE now, you didn't have LTE on your 4s. Perhaps you get weak LTE signal where you spend most of your day, and it wastes a lot of battery trying to stay connected.

Also, since you pulled out the "scientific" metrics of the Apple forums as your smoking gun, :rolleyes: here's a little math for you:

Assuming that, of the 2358 posts on this forum, all of these were unique individuals, and that they each had a problem. That would mean that of the approximately 5,000,000 iPhone 5s in circulation, .0047% of the users were having battery problems.

Last edited:

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
So what? Look, there are a lot of reasons why a cell phone battery drains fast. The aforementioned rogue app. Weak cell signal that causes it to reach out for heartbeat continuously. Weak wifi signal. Location services that are grinding away all day. Or perhaps you have a piece of bad hardware. But I will tell you that I unplug my iPhone 5 every morning around 5:15 AM. I use it almost non-stop all day long, and I still have a good charge on it when I plug it back in at around 6:45 PM, almost every day.

Congratulations.

That's not the case for a lot of people though, is it? Side by side with my iPhone 4, with basically the same apps, my iPhone 5 loses 1% every 5 minutes.

Obviously, I'm trying clean installs, etc etc to troubleshoot.

I shouldn't have to though.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Congratulations.

That's not the case for a lot of people though, is it? Side by side with my iPhone 4, with basically the same apps, my iPhone 5 loses 1% every 5 minutes.

Yes, in fact, it is the case with a lot of people. In fact, most people. In fact, all but the tiniest fraction of people. Way to cherry pick just part of my post for your quote, BTW. You conveniently left out the parts that went into all of the reasons why a phone could have bad battery life.

dickwellington

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Cycle your battery!

Congratulations.

I had the same battery drain problem until I remembered to 'cycle' my battery. I did the same thing with my 4S when I got it and the battery life improved exponentially.

I always have a charger with me, so I let my iPhone 5 drain until it shuts itself off before I charge it. I then charge it to 100% and drain it again. BIG DIFFERENCE NOW. IT REALLY WORKS.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Yes, in fact, it is the case with a lot of people. In fact, most people. In fact, all but the tiniest fraction of people. Way to cherry pick just part of my post for your quote, BTW. You conveniently left out the parts that went into all of the reasons why a phone could have bad battery life.

You're right, it's not everyone - my partner's phone doesn't have any problem at all.

I'm not entirely convinced it's LTE though, since I have a strong signal here. I do wonder if there's something up with a particular app on iOS 6.0.1 - a clean install with nothing installed and it's keeping a reasonable amount of battery life.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
You're right, it's not everyone - my partner's phone doesn't have any problem at all.

I'm not entirely convinced it's LTE though, since I have a strong signal here. I do wonder if there's something up with a particular app on iOS 6.0.1 - a clean install with nothing installed and it's keeping a reasonable amount of battery life.

I had to do a clean install when I went from ios5 to ios6 with my iphone 4s, otherwise I got poor battery life. Odd because I set it back up the same exact way, same apps, same accounts, everything.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
so far iOS 6.1 sounds like a let down.. nothing really new a couple UI changes here and there and bug fixes? :confused:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Android 4.1 and 4.2 full of new amazing features: Google Now, new Google Voice Search, offline voice dictation, vídeos and pictures via NFC, swype and predictive keyboard, lockscreen widgets, photo sphere, etc.

IOS 5.1 and 6.1 NO NEW FEATURES.

Pathetic.

Let me say that again louder and clearer: PATHETIC.

Thanks Apple for making my choice more easier. Its Android for me from now one.

You guys keep waiting until iOS 7 for new features.

Is the iOS team on hollidays or what? Are they out of ideas? Unbeliable.

GregAVL

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Sometimes (pretty often) the WiFi indicator on my iPhone 5 gets stuck on one bar, only resolvable by a restart. Hopefully 6.1 fixes this.

That happens to me at random times, but only on my iPad. Doesn't happen on my iPhone 5 at all.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I wish that Apple would give us the ability to COMPLETELY disable the "Game Center".

The darn thing is annoying as all get out.

Those who want the Game Center can have it. Let the rest of us use our iPods and iPads in peace without having to fart around with it's incessant and seemingly illogical pestering.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Android 4.1 and 4.2 full of new amazing features: Google Now, new Google Voice Search, offline voice dictation, vídeos and pictures via NFC, swype and predictive keyboard, lockscreen widgets, photo sphere, etc.

Pathetic.

You know, I really like iOS 6 very well. It does what I need and is full of features.

I remember when Microsoft afficianados would claim that PCs and Windows were better than the Mac. Why? Because they've got THOUSANDS of games, man!

Well my response is, how many games do you need to play?

Same with Android. I mean, come on. So you have a bunch of "features", most of which you'll never use nor do they provide any real benefit to the user experience.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada

Pathetic.

Uninformed posts like these are why version numbers are meaningless these days.

Google Chrome is on version 23 now, BTW.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

Pathetic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 66

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I wish that Apple would give us the ability to COMPLETELY disable the "Game Center".

The darn thing is annoying as all get out.

Those who want the Game Center can have it. Let the rest of us use our iPods and iPads in peace without having to fart around with it's incessant and seemingly illogical pestering.

Game Center is one of the most over-promised and under-performed iOS features. It was supposed to be the portal for multi-player games, integrated high-score boards, trophies/badges etc. but...

1. It's a resource hog - remember when your game stuttered before the "welcome to the game center" pop up?

2. It's ugly - the interface sucks... too many unnecessary skeuomorphism which occupies the screen estate.

3. It does not integrate into the apps - I don't want my high score to be loaded in that ugly separate game center window

4. It's buggy! So many people are trolling the high score boards with 4,159,552,478,998,115,220 scores!!!

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
The biggest complain I hear from all my iPhone using friends is how boring it's become. There is nothing "new" or "fresh" available on the phone anymore.

I wonder how much longer will it take Apple to start allowing users to change "Themes" on the iPhone and give people a bit more control of what there phone can and cannot do.
Smartphone users are getting more involved and are more aware of technology now. I think people want these extras...

I prefer something that just works. I doubt the majority of users want themes or care if they can control the look of their phone.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012

Pathetic.

Feature sell is the most primitive marketing today because they don't solve any problem. Snow Leopard didn't add any new feature except Exchange compatibility and yet it's widely loved.

Android is fragmented, malware ridden, runs on unbalanced hardware too focused on marketing bullet points, uneven, changing user experience that confuse laymen. Contentwise, Google voice search, voice dictation, Amazon Kindle, Sony eBooks, Pandora, iTunes, iBook are all available on iOS anyway. Even Google has to deliver a good Maps app to iOS. For great ideas, the developers will continue to deliver great content and services to iOS. It's too late for Android to defeat iOS, especially if Apple reserve their strength for the next big leap end next year.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.