Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Wow. Ballmer canned Sinofsky.

"I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company,” CEO Steve Ballmer said. “The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We’ve built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and ‘Halo 4,’ and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.”

http://allthingsd.com/20121112/breaking-windows-head-steven-sinofsky-to-leave-microsoft/

Major shake ups at both tech giants this month.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Wow. Ballmer canned Sinofsky.

"I am grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company,” CEO Steve Ballmer said. “The products and services we have delivered to the market in the past few months mark the launch of a new era at Microsoft. We’ve built an incredible foundation with new releases of Microsoft Office, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Microsoft Surface, Windows Server 2012 and ‘Halo 4,’ and great integration of services such as Bing, Skype and Xbox across all our products. To continue this success it is imperative that we continue to drive alignment across all Microsoft teams, and have more integrated and rapid development cycles for our offerings.”

http://allthingsd.com/20121112/breaking-windows-head-steven-sinofsky-to-leave-microsoft/

Major shake ups at both tech giants this month.

Wow, that came out of no where

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
On the positive, I like his replacement Julie Larson-Green. She likes to experiment with UI's (responsible for Media Center, IE, Windows 8, etc).

The most interesting part of the press release was this line ...

"In her new role she will be responsible for all future Windows product development in addition to future hardware opportunities."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/Nov12/11-12AnnouncementPR.aspx

More info about her:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/julie-larson-green-microsoft-women-worth-watching/5658

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
On the positive, I like his replacement Julie Larson-Green. She likes to experiment with UI's (responsible for Media Center, IE, Windows 8, etc).

The most interesting part of the press release was this line ...

"In her new role she will be responsible for all future Windows product development in addition to future hardware opportunities."

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2012/Nov12/11-12AnnouncementPR.aspx

More info about her:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/julie-larson-green-microsoft-women-worth-watching/5658
Windows Media Center lady is in charge? Awesome.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And his replacement's claim to fame is introducing ribbon UI in Office. :eek: Good god I hate the ribbon.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What's wrong with the ribbon? It's pretty effective at what it does.

Guess I just liked my heavily customized toolbars. Oh and I has to learn new keyboard shortcuts. :p

----------

It is Ballmer who should be leaving. This is indeed sad news. :(

Apparently Sinofsky was similar to Scott Forstall - very polarizing and put Windows above all else at MS. There were also rumors he helped kill the Courier project. Hmm...maybe J Allard will come back now.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Windows 8 boss & iOS boss both fired!!

Wow!
Steven Sinofsky (Windows lead) has just left the company.
And Scott Forstall (iOS lead) has been given the boot.

Both "CEO's in waiting" and hot-headed executives.
Perhaps they can swap companies and we'll all meet somewhere in the middle with realistic looking window tiles on screen.

So what is next for both companies? Big changes ahead?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wow!
Steven Sinofsky (Windows lead) has just left the company.
And Scott Forstall (iOS lead) has been given the boot.

Both "CEO's in waiting" and hot-headed executives.
Perhaps they can swap companies and we'll all meet somewhere in the middle with realistic looking window tiles on screen.

So what is next for both companies? Big changes ahead?

I'm very sure the "boss" & the "head of a department" are 2 very different posts. Both of head of software departments in their respective companies. Steven wasn't fired effectively, he left "in a mutual agreement". Please do not jump into your own conclusions about such matter, it's spastic.

And do you honestly & truly expect forumers here to predict what will happen in 2 major companies after one person got fired??

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'm very sure the "boss" & the "head of a department" are 2 very different posts. Both of head of software departments in their respective companies.
Perhaps on a business card... but if you worked on iOS, Scott was your boss, and Tim Cook the boss of him.

And do you honestly & truly expect forumers here to predict what will happen in 2 major companies after one person got fired??
Um... yes.
I think predictions and conclusion jumping is kinda the idea of a rumors forum.

I'm sorry if you did not wish to participate.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Forstall may have deserved it for the maps fiasco. I feel Sinofsky has done a good job modernizing Windows. As with everything there is probably more to this than what meets the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.