Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I think the screen is completely acceptable and well worth the trade off for size/weight/portability.

Agreed.

I went into the store to purchase an iPad 4 with no intentions of purchasing the Mini.

Held it. Saw the screen. Have it right now. Do not care about the iPad 4 at all.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
There have been a couple of threads about increasing the font size in Safari (using bookmarklets) which work very well.

yeah I do that... but I feel like it should be natively set or allow us to set font sizes as a permanent setting as opposed to having to press "Font +" bookmarklet 4 times before I like the size on every page that only has maybe 8 sentences, ie forum pages.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For those that have a first generation Kindle Fire and the new mini, how do they compare to one another in regards to the quality of the book texts etc.? If I am not mistaken, the new Mini has a higher definition than the first Kindle Fire.

I have a 4s and the first Kindle Fire. I don't like the limited abilities of the Fire. The web text with the Fire is a little fuzzy compared to just reading a book. I like the crispness of the 4s texts, but it is small. I am thinking of doing an upgrade to either the Mini or the iPad 4.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
For those that have a first generation Kindle Fire and the new mini, how do they compare to one another in regards to the quality of the book texts etc.? If I am not mistaken, the new Mini has a higher definition than the first Kindle Fire.

I have a 4s and the first Kindle Fire. I don't like the limited abilities of the Fire. The web text with the Fire is a little fuzzy compared to just reading a book. I like the crispness of the 4s texts, but it is small. I am thinking of doing an upgrade to either the Mini or the iPad 4.

Depends what you are going to use the Mini for.

Magazines and comics are way better on the Mini, trust me than using the Kindle Fire for those.

It didn't take me long to get use to the Mini's screen and I only had it for one full day. Web pages and reading books I have in kindle library are more than acceptable to me.

Go to a Best Buy, Walmart, or wherever one is on display and see how you feel about the Mini.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Depends what you are going to use the Mini for.

Magazines and comics are way better on the Mini, trust me than using the Kindle Fire for those.

It didn't take me long to get use to the Mini's screen and I only had it for one full day. Web pages and reading books I have in kindle library are more than acceptable to me.

Go to a Best Buy, Walmart, or wherever one is on display and see how you feel about the Mini.

Lately, I have found myself using my iPhone 4s more and more for surfing the web (and interacting), YouTube, email, and using US Today, Fox News apps etc. while sitting in the recliner watching t.v., even though I have my MacBook Pro open a lot of the time. My back gets tired after while, reaching down to type on MBP, which rest on the coffee table.

When I am using the MBP, I tend to have multiple tabs going (nothing graphic intensive).

Edited to add: I do a lot of reading on the Kindle, and was also thinking it would be nice to be able to view Netflix at times, while in bed.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I have an iphone 5, iPad 3 and a retina MacBook. When I first got the mini a week ago, I was disappointed with the sceeen. Compared to the other devices, it is a step down. I will gladly pay more for a retina display, however after having it for a week, I love it more than my 3. I got used to the screen and it no longer looks as bad as it first did. Needless to say, I will sell my iPad 3

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I agree with the OP as well. Just played with a mini a few days ago. The only time I was truly able to see a difference was with iBooks and it's not that huge of a difference. I just got my iPad a few months ago and my wife got hers shortly after the 3 came out. We both walked out of the store saying how if we only knew these would be out, we both would have waited....

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012

imo text on the first fire is less fuzzy than on the mini. android scales fonts much better.

cang87

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
I have an iphone 5, iPad 3 and a retina MacBook. When I first got the mini a week ago, I was disappointed with the sceeen. Compared to the other devices, it is a step down. I will gladly pay more for a retina display, however after having it for a week, I love it more than my 3. I got used to the screen and it no longer looks as bad as it first did. Needless to say, I will sell my iPad 3

Have same devices with you.. I already sold my iPad 3 for buying iPad 4 and LTE but today I saw the Mini and bought it immediately without caring about LTE or Retina.. Completely satisfied with every part of the device.. Very user friendly, completely new design! I think with 1-2 more compatibility updates in net versions of iOs, it will be smoother!

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Have same devices with you.. I already sold my iPad 3 for buying iPad 4 and LTE but today I saw the Mini and bought it immediately without caring about LTE or Retina.. Completely satisfied with every part of the device.. Very user friendly, completely new design! I think with 1-2 more compatibility updates in net versions of iOs, it will be smoother!

Yea it's one of apples best works ever. I loved the iPad since it was made and this is my fav iPad of them all. Still replaces my laptop and it's even more portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.