Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
There will be A LOT of pi$$ed off mini owners if it's updated in March. So many people will be getting a mini for Christmas...

I'm thinking IF they release a Retina iPad it will sell alongside the iPad Mini with a small price drop.

iPad Mini:
16gb $299
32gb $399
64gb $499

Retina iPad Mini:
16gb $359
32gb $459
64gb $559

This will cause complaints about the price drop of course but it will shut up the people who need a Retina Display.
I just don't see Apple dropping the "budget" model.

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I'm thinking IF they release a Retina iPad it will sell alongside the iPad Mini with a small price drop.

iPad Mini:
16gb $299
32gb $399
64gb $499

Retina iPad Mini:
16gb $359
32gb $459
64gb $559

This will cause complaints about the price drop of course but it will shut up the people who need a Retina Display.
I just don't see Apple dropping the "budget" model.

I could totally see those prices... I just hope at some point we move beyond 16GB and make 32GB the base.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I could totally see those prices... I just hope at some point we move beyond 16GB and make 32GB the base.

I don't foresee that unless they change the pricing scheme. They make so much more margin selling the 32gb and 64gb versions at the way they have it now. They make like $80 more PER iPad when they sell the 32gb over the 16gb.

So unless they pull a iPod Touch 5th gen and just drop the 16gb model and only sell the bottom model at 32gb they won't be doing it soon.

Though flash prices have dropped drastically over the last year so who's to say they won't be halved again around this time next year.

I, for one think it's better for them to keep the 16gb model (which I have and am comfortably using with 3gb to spare) and just lower the prices to reflect it.

There are plenty of people who WANT iDevices but don't actually USE them. I knew a girl with an iPhone who didn't put music on it and had about 2gb of apps max. Felt pointless to me for her to even own a 16gb iPhone over a blackberry.

----------

Dude how many times do you need to create the same thread?

Did you forget about these that you created? They have multiple pages of posts on it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1474199/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1479840/

Maybe he/she has that "50 First Dates" amnesia that causes them to longer be able to retain info from that day forward...

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
With all rumours pointing to a update in March as they failed to make mini a retina and Ipad 4 looks like a stop gap for a redesign back and thinner Ipad 5..so who regrets taking the plunge and getting Ipad mini or Ipad 4?

I reckon there will be parts leaks on here in a month or two..and I don't think Apple will make fall/end of the year the update schedule.

Looks like Ipad mini 2 + Ipad 5 March 2013
Iphone 5S maybe summer but more likely September

Everybody hoping for a new update cycle are wrong..we all know Ipad mini was just pushed forward for xmas sales..the next one will be less than a year away! :p

The smart buyers are the ones keeping Ipad 2/3 now awaiting the redesign.

So you're saying that anyone that switched to the iPad 4 is an idiot?

You've got a billion threads bashing the iPad mini and the iPad 4. Dude you clearly are the King of iPad 4 Bitterness. Don't even claim yourself as a "core" Apple fan like you do in your epic nonsense thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1475271/

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
There will be A LOT of pi$$ed off mini owners if it's updated in March. So many people will be getting a mini for Christmas...

The only possibly pissed mini users would be those who frequent these forums, and I guess they make up 0.5 per cent of the mini users.

They others will be happy with their christmas present and couldn't care less if a new one is released in March or not.

Neither am I, I have been using my mini for 10 days (replacing my iPad1), love it and have no nervous breakdowns about when they finally come with retina or whatever.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Why do smart buyers feel the insatiable need to tell us what smart buyers they are?

They are only smart buyers by chance its really not a science, funny how some people think it is doesn't it?

For example if Apple cut off all support for every device except the iPad 4 users suddenly the iPad 4 users would be the 'smart' buyers.

Quite frankly there is no 'smart' buyers in the tech game especially with new/immature markets that improve as often as I change underwear.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
At this point I'm going to be happy with my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. If they update them in March, oh well. I'm satisfied with what they have done with the current models so I won't mind keeping them for a little while.

For those that choose to wait until March for a possible update, and they do, why buy one then? You know there will be another update after that, even better so wait for that one but then the next one will be better than that and the next one...

Agree.. You either has a need for a device or you don't. If you don't need the device, there is no real reason to buy one for the heck of it. If you do have a need, you can't wait. For electronic stuff, the next generation is always better than the current generation and it is a never ending game of waiting for the best device. And if one own an Apple device, the resale value is excellent. So the cost of owning a min for 7 months may be $10-15 a month. so what is all the fuss about buy or not buy???

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
With all rumours pointing to a update in March as they failed to make mini a retina and Ipad 4 looks like a stop gap for a redesign back and thinner Ipad 5..so who regrets taking the plunge and getting Ipad mini or Ipad 4?

Which rumours would those be? I've not seen any. I've seen one that talked about the higher resolution screen being tested and going into production next year, and people who didn't read the article assumed that meant a March release when the article clearly stated it meant an Autumn release for the new mini.

Regardless, though, even if a new one comes out in March (which it will not), there is a product that is in my hands now that I love very much, that provides a lot of functionality and utility I didn't have previously. If it were rendered null value when the next mini is released, it'd still be worth it to own and use - it's already one of my most favourite devices of all time.

Now, when the next mini is released (next Autumn!), I'll be sad to sell this mini, but happy to get the upgraded one, which I'll love as much or more than this one. How could I be upset at an upgrade? The product doesn't suddenly become useless when the upgrade is announced - I still use it the same, still derive all the satisfaction and joy from it as I did before the new one. It's silly to get upset, in fact, it's downright idiotic.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Enough with the trolling. You started talking BS the second both the 4 and mini were announced.

Apple's new release schedule for these devices will be the last quarter, prior to Christmas.

And what if another Ipad comes before then? There's no reason why there won't be another one.

Just because some people assume it's a new release cycle they were proven wrong on many occasions in the past few years with the 4S ect.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009

I reckon there will be parts leaks on here in a month or two..and I don't think Apple will make fall/end of the year the update schedule.

Looks like Ipad mini 2 + Ipad 5 March 2013
Iphone 5S maybe summer but more likely September

Everybody hoping for a new update cycle are wrong..we all know Ipad mini was just pushed forward for xmas sales..the next one will be less than a year away! :p

The smart buyers are the ones keeping Ipad 2/3 now awaiting the redesign.

Want to cite a source, or are you just spewing nonsense out of your ass? There's been no rumor of an iPad event in March. There's no "looks like" or evidence to back your claim.

There's also nothing but Digitimes, a habitually incorrect source, claiming the 5S will launch any sooner than September. And even they're just saying that production will ramp up sooner.

As for the "smart buyers", they're the ones who haven't listened to every fool to post a topic like this with no evidence to back the claims that they're only using to justify the fact that they're too damn broke to buy something now. :rolleyes:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks!

Quite the opposite! I, like many others, firmly believe the 4 is a waste of time IF you're upgrading from a 3, unless you do a LOT of photo/video editing (heard of laptops?!), or are heavily into 3D gaming. Don't confuse this with me saying the 4 isn't a great tablet when it clearly is.

Dunno if it's this thread I said it in, but if you think it's money related you're flat wrong - ordered a 64gb LTE Mini at launch, could happily have bought a 4 if I was so inclined, but I just don't have any inclination.

Last edited:

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Not likely

From a logical point of a view, the scenario is going to line-up in the following manner

I agree with most of you on two things, ipad 4 was a just an gap product ( updated so as to push past the nearest competitors. It's likely to feature a redesign but not in March.

A revised iPad 4 (most notably with a thinner profile thanks to GF-Ditto technology, IGZO may or may not be used, depending on Sharp's production facilities & yield rates. If Apple' does manage to secure IGZO, they may reduce the number of LEDs required, thus helping reduce the weight as well. the battery size is likely to come down as well. I would definitely expect Gorilla Glass 2 to come into the picture. Practically speaking, I wouldn't expect anything drastic but a thickness reduction of maybe around 15-20% (maximum) and a weight reduction of not more than 30%,compared to the ipad 3/4. Hopefully the battery life might increase by an hour or two, making it a 12 hour battery life.

I haven't used the new Mini, so I don't know how well it operates, but if anyone out there is able to explain if the in-cell technology's fast swiping issues also affect Mini or if the GF-Ditto is an adaptation of the in-cell technology?

Now for the line-up for 2013:

March/April - A new product. Not sure if its iTV.
May/June's(WWDC) - Most likely for the supposed revised / 5th gen iPad
September - iPhone 5S/6
October - iPad Mini & other computing hardware (if any gets updated)

Why this makes sense is that, there is a substantial gap between the 4th and 5th gen ipad ( 8 months). It ensures there a good push during the Summer months of June-September. Another burst from iPhone from then on, and the late October introduction of the Mini Retina and the other products for the holiday season. It makes sense from a business point of view.

And while we are it, I doubt of an upgrade to quad-core 20nm SOC for the ipad 4/5, and not likely until 2014. In my opinion, the next iPhone won't really require a quad-core. It's just too much for the phone. My best bet would be that Apple will move to a 28nm SOC for the 2013 A7, and wait till 2014 for the 20nm SOC. or Apple may play smart and quietly update the A6 to the 28nm without much fanfare. TSMC's has had production issues, and such a drastic jump in SOC architecture needs to be observed with caution.

So for those want to hold on for the next iPad, hang on till May/ June. For others, enjoy your current one, without any bother.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Quite the opposite! I, like many others, firmly believe the 4 is a waste of time IF you're upgrading from a 3, unless you do a LOT of photo/video editing (heard of laptops?!), or are heavily into 3D gaming. Don't confuse this with me saying the 4 isn't a great tablet when it clearly is.
I dont own an iPad4 so I can speak of it directly, but as someone who went from an iPhone 4S (A5) to an iPhone 5 (A6) then I have to say that real world tasks havent shown a significant improvement from a much faster chip. I dont do heavy gaming so maybe thats where the benchmarks are showing its real power but I do video editing a lot and iMovie still chokes on populating the video list or takes forever in doing quick edits so I'm not sure that the software has caught up to the hardware.

I'm curious if these faster chips arent being used to their potential because apps are still being written with the iPad2 in mind. The iPhone 5 came with a full redesign and larger screen so I love it even though I don't feel the speed boost. BUT, when discussing the iPad3/4 then since it shares the same shell and features then if there isn't a tangible benefit of a mega fast chip?

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
If you want one now, buy it now

I bought an iPad 3 earlier year. The fact that the iPad 4 was just released didn't in any way slow down my current iPad. IF it turns out that Apple does update the iPad lineup in early 2013, again my iPad 3 won't somehow get less usefull and neither will the iPad 4s and iPadMinis sold today. If people want to wait for the latest and greatest then they could wait indefinitely and never own one. I personally get about 2 years out of my iOS devices then update.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I'd love a 4G LTE mini for use when traveling but will wait for a retina screen model to be released. Apple is famous for bringing it when it comes to screen quality & after carefully looking over the mini I can't say they've brought it with this device. Yes, for many the smaller form factor is worth the trade off & I hope those folks enjoy their new device but I will wait for more.

objectmaster

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
March sounds likely

So, actually I did take the plunge and upgraded to the iPad 4 (from the 3) because I encountered constant lags while reviewing larger PDF files on the 3. My hope was that the 4 would run fast enough for me to review the pages with no problems, and although the A6X does appear to do a better job than the A5X (iPad 3), you hardly notice much of a speed improvement. This is true for anything else too, its nothing like the performance of the iPad 2 vs. the original iPad. So other than the faster CPU and the lightning connector, front HD camera, what did change? Nothing. Given that other tablets are coming out even more aggressively, does the iPad 4 offer anything the iPad 3 couldn't? No.

After using the device, it really dawns on me that this is just a placeholder for a more updated iPad 5 in the NEAR future. The changes between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 are non-existant, far less than those between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. However, the timing is plain awkward. I can't imagine Apple, in the face of the competition would want to have the outdated design (not updated since March 2011) run all the way until September 2013 (same holds true for the retina display of the iPad mini).

If you ever did pop in the Apple store and compared the iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5, you'll notice the incredible difference in weight (the 5 feels really light). The same form factor is included in the iPad mini but NOT THE IPAD 4. The iPad 4 weighs 1.5 pounds, and its virtually impossible to handle it without some serious cramps (much like the 3). Likewise, for the iPad mini, who in the world of Retina would still care for lower resolution screens? Apple will burn many people in the near future (again), but this one is returning his "iPad 4" to wait the few extra months for the "iPad 5". Even if I have to wait until summer, a lighter iPad is worth the wait.

As one of the posters here put it, most likely the cosmetic changes to the iPad are meant to replace the iPad 2's extremely long reign as the low-end iPad. So, the high end iPad (4th generation) of today, will be the low end iPad of tomorrow (being March - the usual cycle). So if you're willing to shell out the cash, either for the iPad mini or the iPad, WAIT! You'll deeply regret it when you'll see the Retina display on the mini or the new form factor on the iPad. Obviously the very same device you own may be priced down, although, you can always argue that you pay for having it "early".

Wait before upgrading to iPad 4, I think you might end up regretting it. Likewise, don't jump the gun with the mini. Yes, it's a really neat device, but still, retina will come possibly sooner than later.

Oh, and for all you out there regarding that you then can wait eternity. Well, I have my iPhone 4 up to this day. I think only the iPhone 5 was a worthy successor, but not the 4S. So maybe, my wisdom, invest into the truly "generational" changing device. For iPads, that was the iPad 3 (Retina/LTE is a huge deal). The next one will be the iPad 5 (faster CPU/lighter/better cameras/truly worldwide LTE?).

Also, for all you regretting the purchase of an iPad 4/mini or receive it as a gift (with receipt), any device purchased between October 27th, 2012 and December 25th, 2012 can be returned up until January 7th, 2013 (extended holiday return policy). Otherwise, you got 14 days from receipt of item, so make up your mind fast.

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I think it's all relative to each of us personally.

I upgrade my devices every second cycle usually.

So iPhone 4S to assumed iPhone 5s
iPad 2 to iPad 4
MBA 2011 to MBA 2013

I've just bought the iPad 4 and next year I will get the MBA and iPhone update.

I decided on this and the upgrade to iPad 4 from 2 is a massive leap to me despite the iPad 5 coming in march, probably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.