Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doggonit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Will those hundreds of thousands out there who made the apparent mistake of getting the new Macs with Nvidia cards ever be permitted to play CoD: Black Ops properly?

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
Will those hundreds of thousands out there who made the apparent mistake of getting the new Macs with Nvidia cards ever be permitted to play CoD: Black Ops properly?

This is already being discussed:
CoD Black Ops for Mac announced!
CoD Black Ops Released!

However, in answer to you're question here's a quote from an email Aspyr sent out to retailers shortly (hours) before the Mac Black Ops release:

"We are pulling support for the 650m as of this afternoon. We were hoping for driver help to make it happen but unfortunately its not going to be ready in time for launch. To be clear, that means no nVidia cards will be supported at launch. Please use the following language on your pages and remove the copy stating the 650M is supported.

NOTICE : All NVIDIA graphic cards including the most recent MacBook Pro's with the Nvidia 650M graphics card are UNSUPPORTED!!! Please visit http://support.aspyr.com for more information."

I believe that the last-minute nature of this change suggests that Nvidia support is close, so hopefully will just be a matter of a couple of weeks maximum.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I would expect Nvidia to take this issue very seriously as I am sure they'd like Apple to choose them as the standard for all Macs in the future. One of the principal uses of an accelerated GPU on Macs is for gaming and although Black OPS is an older release in the PC world it is still a relatively recent high profile title many Mac users would enjoy playing.

I don't doubt Nvidia sees fixing this as important and will work with Aspyr to that end. I am hopeful it will not take too long to resolve this problem.

BPMCH02

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
Michigan
Hopefully more people will just buy the game, today there were only 26 people TOTAL playing it...that made for about 2 servers... :(

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Hopefully more people will just buy the game, today there were only 26 people TOTAL playing it...that made for about 2 servers... :(

might not be many more people who'd like it that have machines capable of running it... very poor port. Whatever driver issues they think they have with nvidia, they could have found a better work-a-round than just not supporting it at all. I gave up on Aspyr so long ago, I find this funny and totally expected.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
nVidia driver fixes are very close, they just haven't been rolled out yet. A LOT of hands have to touch this stuff before it goes live. I wish it were just a switch, but it's not.

We have the new driver in the lab and performance is MUCH better once applied. Until then however, we just aren't comfortable supporting the performance on the 650m.

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
nVidia driver fixes are very close, they just haven't been rolled out yet. A LOT of hands have to touch this stuff before it goes live. I wish it were just a switch, but it's not.

We have the new driver in the lab and performance is MUCH better once applied. Until then however, we just aren't comfortable supporting the performance on the 650m.

Thanks for the info! I have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro and I really want to get this game. I'll just hold off until the new drivers are out.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007

The question I have is what does "supported" mean? Obviously that Aspyr won't guarantee that it will work. But in reality, are we really talking about a performance level that you aren't fully happy with at the highest video settings? If so, will other video cards (say, randomly speaking, ahem, a 9500 GT) "work"?

Djevlen

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
I believe it means that Aspyr feel there are nothing they can assist you with in terms of performance. Take the Nvidia driver problem as an example, Aspyr can't fix it themselves as its the driver thats the problem and not their port. Hence no support for Nvidia cards.

Last edited:

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
honestly, mac port is just terribly made. it's even worst than PC version. why do you have to play it on your mac? I think that you just do better play PC version on bootcamp. it's much better. as a matter of fact, it's windows which takes advantage of DirectX 11. for gaming, pure mac version is just bad.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
honestly, mac port is just terribly made. it's even worst than PC version. why do you have to play it on your mac? I think that you just do better play PC version on bootcamp. it's much better. as a matter of fact, it's windows which takes advantage of DirectX 11. for gaming, pure mac version is just bad.

Have you purchased and played the Mac version for a fair number of hours to evaluate its quality? If so, can you be specific about the ways in which you find it lacking? Saying it is terribly made is not helpful. That does not tell me anything.

How is playing this particular title much better on Windows in bootcamp? Please, be very specific. Keep in mind, I do not care about DirectX 11. If the game looks as good as a well made DX9 title, I'm sure I'll be pleased enough.

You say for gaming, pure Mac version is just bad but you never explain your point of view. Let me explain mine. I prefer to game in OS X. I like not having to reboot the computer to play a game. I would prefer not to run windows at all and especially not to pay over a hundred dollars for it. I am glad Apple made this possible and I have used it when there is no other alternative but it certainly isn't my preference.

My next Mac will probably not have any windows on it at all. Fortunately, thanks to the efforts of Aspyr and Feral along with Blizzard Entertainment, there is plenty of good gaming to be had right on OS X.

I guess I could ask you, why do you want to run a game in windows on your Mac when you could run it natively and not have to bother with that?

jvpython

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011
New Zealand
Have you purchased and played the Mac version for a fair number of hours to evaluate its quality? If so, can you be specific about the ways in which you find it lacking? Saying it is terribly made is not helpful. That does not tell me anything.

How is playing this particular title much better on Windows in bootcamp? Please, be very specific. Keep in mind, I do not care about DirectX 11. If the game looks as good as a well made DX9 title, I'm sure I'll be pleased enough.

You say for gaming, pure Mac version is just bad but you never explain your point of view. Let me explain mine. I prefer to game in OS X. I like not having to reboot the computer to play a game. I would prefer not to run windows at all and especially not to pay over a hundred dollars for it. I am glad Apple made this possible and I have used it when there is no other alternative but it certainly isn't my preference.

My next Mac will probably not have any windows on it at all. Fortunately, thanks to the efforts of Aspyr and Feral along with Blizzard Entertainment, there is plenty of good gaming to be had right on OS X.

I guess I could ask you, why do you want to run a game in windows on your Mac when you could run it natively and not have to bother with that?

Great reply. Couldn't have said it better. People who just post that a game runs terribly without giving any detail on what computer they were running it on and what "terrible" really is are pretty useless.

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
I've been trying it out on a retina MBP (NVIDIA 650M graphics) 2.7GHz, 8GB Ram, and the first mission had noticeable stutters in parts (on lowest graphics settings), but the 2nd and 3rd missions have gone more smoothly although it does stutter (only word I can use to describe it!) if I try and change graphics settings.

I can see why Aspyr don't support it currently as they would get complaints if they said it worked fully, but it is still playable, and can only get better when the patch comes.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France

Hey Blair,

Any news on this front? Are you close to releasing the drivers?

Cheers!

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
Awesome! As a mac game reseller it would have been nice to find this out earlier though!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.