Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexBass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
So I was thinking... forget the new macs being released these days, everybody is buying them, they're boring! (Dare I say it) Instead, I want to invest in vintage Apple systems.

I've been browsing for a while, found a few good things made in the past 20 years still in their original packaging, just a tad out of my price range. (Xserve in box for $1,900)

What kind of good Apple merch can one get for under $200? Vintage, that is.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Resale shops used to be a great place, but many shops around here are starting to put that kind of stuff on eBay instead - that Apple logo's a dead give-away...

Try Craigslist or flea markets.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
So I was thinking... forget the new macs being released these days, everybody is buying them, they're boring! (Dare I say it) Instead, I want to invest in vintage Apple systems.

I've been browsing for a while, found a few good things made in the past 20 years still in their original packaging, just a tad out of my price range. (Xserve in box for $1,900)

Keep in mind when it comes to Vintage Apples, they are getting expensive because of the crazy fanboys/apples super popularness right now, once that wears off, they'll start getting worth less, not more.

Something like an Xserve is not something that you'd ever make money on.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I collect the Pre-OS X stuff...in other words, Classic Mac stuff, pre-Steve Jobs stuff...

Pretty much anything up to 604e processors is what I collect.

I've got a few Macintosh Portables, and a Mac IIfx, and a bunch of older PowerBooks.

I get all of my computers on eBay pretty much.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago

The dual-USB iBook models are extremely cheap, probably the cheapest model you could get. If I were you, I'd get a Paris clamshell iBook for $50 with MacOS 9, and put Classilla on it. I use Classilla, and through that I can use FaceBook and go on most forums quickly and easily. eMacs are very cheap as well.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Craigslist is best for finding bargains. Ebay, not so much. Plus with craigslist, you can physically inspect it before handing over the cash. MDD G4's can be had for relatively cheap these days.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Eh?

Do you mean post Steve Jobs and pre his return?
What else could he possibly mean :rolleyes:

My question to the OP is, "What are you planning to do with them?"

Are you wanting vintage Macs to play with, take apart, part out, sell for profit, create a museum? Whats the point in this investment?

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
What else could he possibly mean :rolleyes:

My question to the OP is, "What are you planning to do with them?"

Are you wanting vintage Macs to play with, take apart, part out, sell for profit, create a museum? Whats the point in this investment?

Those were the "dark days" - I can't see why someone would want to collect the likes of the Quadra?

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Those were the "dark days" - I can't see why someone would want to collect the likes of the Quadra?

There were some great designs that came from that period-- just look at the PowerBooks, the eMate 300, Colour Classic etc., and when they had a flawed Mac, they were still pretty fun to use ;). And the old versions of MacOS were great to work with.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

The Quadra's had some of the coolest designs of the day. Especially the 700 - highly collectible.

(I recall those new in the box we used as QuickMail Servers - wish I had kept the box/packing - those went into the garbage... :( ).

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
What I meant was its the only period that could possibly be considered "before Steve Jobs." I personally love the machines from the Sculley, Spindler and Gil Amelio era. That was really the only time when Apple was producing a real variety of computers with different styles and expandability. I've always loved the Newtons and Apple's printers too. Obviously it wasn't good business at the time and it made sense for Apple to remove all those different product lines, but there was a ton of cool hardware to choose from. PowerMac 6500's with built in subwoofers, Quadra 840AV and 800, all the different PowerBooks, and experiments like the QuickTake and Macintosh TV were all very cool products.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Yeah, I think I'll invest in the early Macintosh systems, vintage floppy disks and perhaps an unopened iPad 1...

I wouldn't think of it as "investing". You may or may not get your money back out of it, most likely you won't make a profit. Pick the machine(s) that interest you the most, do a little research so you see what the going rate is and can identify what a good price is.

Also be aware that on a lot of old machines, parts are not readily available and/or are very expensive.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
What I meant was its the only period that could possibly be considered "before Steve Jobs." I personally love the machines from the Sculley, Spindler and Gil Amelio era. That was really the only time when Apple was producing a real variety of computers with different styles and expandability. I've always loved the Newtons and Apple's printers too. Obviously it wasn't good business at the time and it made sense for Apple to remove all those different product lines, but there was a ton of cool hardware to choose from. PowerMac 6500's with built in subwoofers, Quadra 840AV and 800, all the different PowerBooks, and experiments like the QuickTake and Macintosh TV were all very cool products.

I think then we get into personal preference.

I personally look at the likes of the Quadra840AV and just see another beige box from the 90s.

I have a huge interest in retro computing and for me the 80s (and to a lesser extent the 70s) was the highpoint. As far as design the 90s were a nadir - everyone was doing pretty much the same sort of things with a couple of exceptions. (I think the TAM was cool)

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, I DID mean Macintosh computers from the Sculley, Spindler, and Amelio era...exactly. Basically everything 1986 - 1996 or Pre-G3 Power Macintosh and Pre-iMac...Pre-return of Steve Jobs. The "Beige Macs" in other words....and the Pre-G3 PowerBooks.

Macintosh II Series
Macintosh Quadra
Macintosh Centris
NuBus Power Macintosh
PCI Power Macintosh

I don't collect much of the Performa stuff, or the LC stuff, more of the upper-end pro/power machines.

Also...

Macintosh Portable
PowerBook 100-180
PowerBook 500 Series
PowerBook 5300/190 Series
PowerBook 1400 Series
PowerBook 2400 Series
PowerBook 3400 Series
PowerBook Kanga
PowerBook Duo Series

So I am talking about Mac designs (frog design) before Ive came into play and tried to turn the Macintosh into eye candy...things went nuts with Apple design after they got him designing their machines. Beige became a dirty a word at at Apple, never to be seen again...not even Platinum was an allowed color for a Macintosh anymore. Oh yeah, and they killed "Macintosh" and started calling them just "Mac" - sad.

Last edited:

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012

Nothing dark about those days. Sure, some of the machines were maybe no longer avant-garde, but the mac magic was still there. Try turning on system 7 on a old mac. Beautiful.

Also the startup sound in modern macs comes from the Quadra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.