Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Well I just sold my 1G iPod mini with a dock for $185. I took that money and put it right back into Apple, though, and bought a 20 GB iPod w/ Color screen. I'm so excited! I just had to share with you guys!!! I'll post some pictures later if you guys want, even though I'm sure there are already tons up on the net :)

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
mad jew said:
Nice. :)

Is the colour screen as easy to read out in the sunlight?

I'll go outside and check... if it's still light enough!

edit: Well with what light was left, I tested it out. Without the backlight, it is difficult (which is understandable), but with the backlight, at least in these conditions, it was clear as day. Perfectly readable. I will conduct more extensive tests tomorrow :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks for that Capt Underpants. I forgot it wasn't 10:00AM everywhere at the moment... Oops. :eek:

I've been thinking of replacing my hacked up 4G (got hit by a car and it went flying :( ) but I'm not sure about the screen yet. We can get pretty harsh sunlight down here so I need something that'll still be easy to read. Sounds like it'll be fine though. :)

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I wouldn't worry about the color screen. I don't think Apple is that stupid... It will work in the light. What I find with my 3rd Gen. iPod is that it works better in the light without the backlight on. Kinda weird... anyway I've never had a troubles and I don't think you would with the color screen..........

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
iGary said:
Congrats and enjoy! :D

Oh I will, iGary!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

IMG_3066.jpg

My Grados and their new friend, iPod

IMG_3072.jpg

Snow Patrol pwns...

IMG_3075.jpg

And finally, my iPod's final resting place :)
IMG_3077.jpg

sorry the iPod's screen was overexposed!!!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Get thee an iSkin! ...or suffer the conquences.

Enjoy your new iPod (colour). I know I love my 40BG iPod Photo...

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
tfaz1 said:
Get thee an iSkin! ...or suffer the conquences.

Enjoy your new iPod (colour). I know I love my 40BG iPod Photo...

I know that I should probably buy one to protect my investment, here... but I had one for my mini (bless her soul), and I never used it. It made the iPod feel unnecessarily bulky. Plus I have to take it out of the iSkin to dock it. It's just a pain, IMO.

But I'll look into other cases that seem less cumbersome :)

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Smart man using the SR80s. The soul mate to the iPod. I've got some RS-1s with a Grado RA-1 amp using a Zu Pivot interconnect. But I use the SR80s a lot too. Nice to see someone on here knows something about 'phones.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
mcarnes said:
Smart man using the SR80s. The soul mate to the iPod. I've got some RS-1s with a Grado RA-1 amp using a Zu Pivot interconnect. But I use the SR80s a lot too. Nice to see someone on here knows something about 'phones.

If they had a jealousy smilie, I would use it. Those are some awesome cans, macarnes!

rkristich

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Punta Gorda, Florida
I'm glad to hear you like your new iPod! I recently upgraded from a 20 gig 3rd gen to a 30 gig color one. I had under 100 mb of space left on my 20, so when the 30 gb ones went on sale right after the line was shortened to only the 20 and 40 gb iPods, I got one for only $300 with my student discount.

The color screen is very nice, and I love always having my photos on hand. It's quite usuful if I want to show someone what my cat looks like, or something I saw on vacation. Plus it's fun to just browse through my photos when I'm out somewhere and bored (like in the waiting room at a doctor's office). You might also find that it's a lot more fun to play solitare with a color screen.

Oh, and mad jew, I live in Florida, and we get some pretty harsh sunlight here too (though not as bad as Australia, at least from what I remember when I was there about 3 years ago). The color screen looks great in the sunlight, as long as you have the backlight on. It doesn't look too bad without the backlight either, just a bit dimmer.

Capt Underpants, a nice case to look into would be the Contour Design Showcase. It makes your iPod look really nice; I've actually gotten quite a few compliments on it. It does add some bulk to your iPod, but it provides really great protection, and you can still enjoy the beauty of your iPod. My biggest worry when I bought it was the bulkiness, but it doesn't really matter at all to me anymore. It goes in and out of the case very easily, you just flip the latch up and take your iPod out or put it back in, so it's great if you want to dock your iPod. Silicone cases are a pain to get on and off, and other cases can scratch your iPod if you keep slipping it in and out. At $30, it is a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Oh, and if you do decide to get one, I'd recommend the black version over the white. The black just looks nicer, and the white one gets stained easily.
Links: here and here

Enjoy your new iPod! :D

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
Ok, I used to want an iPod, but then I came to my sences and realized that I only have 4gb of music and I don't run/walk/excersise, so anywhere I would be, I would have some kind of music source, but after seeing that color screen, I've kind of changed my mind.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
rkristich said:
Capt Underpants, a nice case to look into would be the Contour Design Showcase. It makes your iPod look really nice; I've actually gotten quite a few compliments on it. It does add some bulk to your iPod, but it provides really great protection, and you can still enjoy the beauty of your iPod. My biggest worry when I bought it was the bulkiness, but it doesn't really matter at all to me anymore. It goes in and out of the case very easily, you just flip the latch up and take your iPod out or put it back in, so it's great if you want to dock your iPod. Silicone cases are a pain to get on and off, and other cases can scratch your iPod if you keep slipping it in and out. At $30, it is a bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Oh, and if you do decide to get one, I'd recommend the black version over the white. The black just looks nicer, and the white one gets stained easily.
Links: here and here

Enjoy your new iPod! :D

Thank you for the case recommendation, rkristich. I was looking for a case that was easy to take my iPod in and out of (for docking purposes) and it looks like you found one for me. I will definitely be considering this case.

Stinkythe1 said:
Ok, I used to want an iPod, but then I came to my sences and realized that I only have 4gb of music and I don't run/walk/excersise, so anywhere I would be, I would have some kind of music source, but after seeing that color screen, I've kind of changed my mind.

I apologize. It seems like my pictures just cost you $300 :(

KKKL

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Amoy
Capt Underpants said:
Well I just sold my 1G iPod mini with a dock for $185. I took that money and put it right back into Apple, though, and bought a 20 GB iPod w/ Color screen. I'm so excited! I just had to share with you guys!!! I'll post some pictures later if you guys want, even though I'm sure there are already tons up on the net :)
congratulations!
PS: can you please give out the link of iTunes New Music Sampler with your new ipod?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
I have to say that there is a 50/50 split on this forum in regards to the iPod.

Some people don't care to hear anymore news about it while other rave all about a product that has been displayed on store shelves for the better part of the year. :)

Oh well, you have a "NEW TOY", congratulations and savor the excitement. ;) :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Macmaniac said:
Make sure you get a good case that protects the screen, you don't want your bueatiful colour screen covered with ugly scratches. May I suggest Marware, they make a great case that protects the whole 'pod. Enjoy!
Why waste the money? After 2 years, you won't care if your iPod is scratched or not.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Lacero said:
Why waste the money? After 2 years, you won't care if your iPod is scratched or not.

This is part of the reason that I am apprehensive about getting a case. On one hand, it raises the retail value of the iPod when I do decide to sell it. On the other hand, it makes my iPod more cumbersome for the time that I own it. Ponderous...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Capt Underpants said:
This is part of the reason that I am apprehensive about getting a case. On one hand, it raises the retail value of the iPod when I do decide to sell it. On the other hand, it makes my iPod more cumbersome for the time that I own it. Ponderous...

Get one of the clear silicone-type cases. I had one on my 2G pod after two years it still looked almost new.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
So I'm up at Fry's Electronics looking for some stuff for my stepdad's new office setup, and I wander on over to the iPod accessories. My mother decides to join me, reaches for the back of the shelf, and pulls out none other than a white showcase iPod case (i know you suggested black, though). To make a long story short, I bought it... and it's awesome! Thank you for the recommendation! Maybe I should post pictures of the iPod in the case? Or maybe I'm just picture happy... after all, it is my new baby!

I agree, JonMaker. As good as the thing looks in pictures, it's always better in person :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.