Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Most of the posts I've read of iPhone 5 experiences are from other countries.

How are iPhone 5 owners going in Australia ... How many experiencing problems with massive data usage, damaged out of box hardware? And, how good is your LTE/4G in major cities?

What about APPLE Maps in Oz?

New buyers: how long are you waiting now if you order direct from Apple?

Is there an Apple store with Genius Bar in Brisbane?

----------

Sorry, one more question... Which provider? TPG seem to offer good deals. Anyone with TPG?

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005

How are iPhone 5 owners going in Australia ... How many experiencing problems with massive data usage, damaged out of box hardware? And, how good is your LTE/4G in major cities?

----------

Sorry, one more question... Which provider? TPG seem to offer good deals. Anyone with TPG?

I will answer in the order you asked.

Black iPhone 5 received launch day - one with scuffs (mine), partners fine. I returned mine to the online store. Went to Apple store Perth and purchased a white one (only stock they had) - flawless, but screen appears very warm compared to my iPhone 4 and partners iPhone 5. Holding onto my iPhone 4 for now as well.

If you want to order via online store now, it is a 3-4 week wait.

No problems with data usage.

LTE is crazy fast in Perth CBD, but where I live I only have access to 3G. I am on Telstra.

Apple maps 'seems' fine from my limited usage. I have a shortcut to Google Maps website should I need it (haven't as yet).

Several Apple (i.e. not reseller) stores in Brisbane - all have a genius bar.

If you use TPG as your provider, they do not currently offer 4G/LTE and have no plans to offer this. TPG also charge their customers $20 for a nanoSIM. Telstra, Optus etc. do not charge. TPG has confirmed this.

For more Australian-based discussion, you would be better off heading over to Whirlpool Forums and browsing the iPhone section - there is a HUGE number of threads to view.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Thanks for your detailed and helpful reply, will check out the other forum.

when you say your screen is warm, do you mean this yellow tinge people have been talking about?

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
When you say your screen is warm, do you mean this yellow tinge people have been talking about?

I don't believe that my screen suffers a 'yellow' tinge. I believe that Apple has made the screen's calibrated more towards D65 (6500K), where-as previously (in my personal experience) they were calibrated more towards the cooler end.

I will upload a picture to demonstrate - just got to grab my camera.

According to ColorWiki "6500 Kelvin is becoming a popular choice for monitor white points and has just been accepted in a new ISO viewing standard"

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
First two images: iPhone 5 (white), iPhone 4, iPhone 5 (black).
Remaining images: iPhone 4, iPhone 5 (black), iPhone 5 (white).

Attachments

• PA010002.JPG
    PA010002.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 156
  • PA010009.JPG
    PA010009.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 162
  • PA010010.JPG
    PA010010.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 165
  • PA010016.JPG
    PA010016.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 148
  • PA010021.JPG
    PA010021.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 153

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Got mine from Optus day 1.

Black. No scuffs or marks. Screen is incredible compared to my iPhone 4.

No LTE where I live but can't wait to try it out in Sydney. 3G seems much faster than on my iPhone 4.

Love the lightness of the thing, it feels almost fake yet really strong.

Not using a case, no issues so far.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Loving mine,

Perfect buying experience , turned up first day after I ordered it week before from apple.

My data usage is so high but realised that I'm streaming songs from iCloud over 3G but ill stop this.

Maps are really good, sorry to go against te grain but I honestly love them, Sydney looks brilliant and I like how it's like google earth too, so easy to zoom out rotate the earth and say go to the uk. Maybe you can do this with google too but never tried.

Haven't tried LTE as no coverage in my suburban Sydney area.

New ear pods are just brilliant, best earphones I have tried,, seriously and for $30 the bargain of the century. I know what I'm getting for friends Christmas presents this year and will be making sure I get a few pairs soon as they may sell out at Christmas me thinks...

Even like the lightening connector. It's a positive engagement, feels solid and works both ways. Apple had the other one since 2003 so I reckon they are entitled to change it after almost 10 years. I use air play with an express and Apple TV so dock connectors with audio equipment is not an issue.

Overall I love it and when I use my 4s ( now my wife's) it feels small and chunky.

Last edited:

craigd

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
perth, AU
White iPhone5 16gb here, perfect condition. To be honest I would not even bother taking it back for some of the lame excuses I see on here, some of the marks and chips require a magnifying glass to see.

Data usage is not an issue its a work phone and sim.

I live SOR so I am on 3G most of the time though LTE coverage in Perth is awesome. Its a pleasure to be able to use Telstra again in the CBD as the 3G is useless.

I am with DODO for my home internet cant fault them, very cheap and good service and speed

I have sat nav in the car so maps are not that important to me,

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
unlocked iphone 5

Hi All,
I didn't want to start a new thread since this is a similar topic. I am traveling to Australia in two weeks and I have a few questions. I will have an unlocked US iphone 5, I am aware that I'll be limited to 3G. I see there is a Vodafone location in the terminal where I land (united) in Sydney. Do you guys think they will have prepaid nanosims? I read though the whirlpool threads but could not find an answer. I plan to use truphone for calling back to the US and getting some minutes for local calls.
Can't wait to visit your country, going Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne-Sydney.
Thanks everyone.

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
Hi All,
I didn't want to start a new thread since this is a similar topic. I am traveling to Australia in two weeks and I have a few questions. I will have an unlocked US iphone 5, I am aware that I'll be limited to 3G. I see there is a Vodafone location in the terminal where I land (united) in Sydney. Do you guys think they will have prepaid nanosims? I read though the whirlpool threads but could not find an answer. I plan to use truphone for calling back to the US and getting some minutes for local calls.
Thanks everyone.

If you want decent speeds on 3G, you're better off with Telstra. With LTE off I get between 10-15Mbps at home.

----------

Hiya,
Last month I used just under 2GB, but that's because LTE is faster than my WiFi at home, so I often get impatient and switch off WiFi and use LTE solely :) I use Telstra in Adelaide, and I've tested up to 75Mbps, my friend has gotten 82 before. It's not consistent, depends on where you are etc, but at home I'm averaging 35Mbps.

Damage out of the box hardware is not as common as it sounds, people on here make a big deal out of it. I work in T shop, so we unbox hundreds, and I think there was only 1 or 2 that were really noticeably damaged. The average consumer won't stare at their iPhones, there have been a couple which I've noticed which were slightly imperfect to me, but when I invite the customer to inspect it, they'll just be meh, the screen is in one piece, all good.

LTE/4G is great with Telstra, it's not available in Adelaide on Optus yet. It's not available on Vodafone at all (I think?). Never used TPG. I don't know what they have...

I've only used Apple Maps a few times, but didn't have any issue with it. I guess in Adelaide, it's pretty simple to get to places so I haven't really been affected...

Disclaimer: These views are my own and do not reflect the views of Telstra.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Good news - my iPhone 5 white arrived perfect, no scuffs etc. bad news - wasn't expecting it til 12-16, it arrived nov 5 while I was away, now all I can do is look at it while I wait, wait, wait for the SIM card to arrive!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.

I'm going with TPG for now, as I live in rural NSW and can't get LTE anyway, and most of people I phone are on TPG. But it's a no contract plan, so I can change if TPG haven't upgraded to LTE by the time I want it.

Telstra and Optus plans are expensive in comparison. Do you get be better coverage with Telstra than others? A guy in a Telstra shop told me this is so. Just a sales line?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
@KandyKane, going to Gold Coast and Sydney soon. I wish to get a plan which has basic calling and Internet data. Perhaps you can help me.

I browsed Telstra's website and wanted to get the $30 prepaid nano-sim starter kit, with CAP ENCORE prepaid plan. However I'm kinda confused with its "cap credit". What exactly is that?

I will be in Australia for 11 days and could see myself using considerate amount of internet (at least 2gb of data), and from the chart below, it seems only with a recharge of $100 would I get a 3Gb data, and $2000 cap credit. My question is how would I use the cap credit? Does it mean if I recharge $100 I would be able to make $2000 worth of calls? Would seems to be pretty steep to own a prepaid sim in Australia if I have to recharge $100 to get decent amount of data limit.

Can you explain it to me?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 103

macman312

macrumors 6502
Hi All,
Thanks everyone.

G'day:p

I would go with telstra honestly for coverage anywhere decent that is what you really need. There will be a telstra shop near where ever you are staying in Sydney http://telstra.com.au/store-locator/

----------

First two images: iPhone 5 (white), iPhone 4, iPhone 5 (black).
Remaining images: iPhone 4, iPhone 5 (black), iPhone 5 (white).

nice picture on your 5 black

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
G'day:p

I would go with telstra honestly for coverage anywhere decent that is what you really need. There will be a telstra shop near where ever you are staying in Sydney http://telstra.com.au/store-locator/

Thanks for the advice, I am flying to Sydney but then have to fly straight to Canberra. Reason I was looking at Vodafone was the airport location. Speed is not that big of deal and I'll be in 3 of the larger cities so I am hoping Voda is "good enough". I'm just looking to use it for email, messages and looking up restaurants.
Thanks again

macman312

macrumors 6502
Thanks for the advice, I am flying to Sydney but then have to fly straight to Canberra. Reason I was looking at Vodafone was the airport location. Speed is not that big of deal and I'll be in 3 of the larger cities so I am hoping Voda is "good enough". I'm just looking to use it for email, messages and looking up restaurants.
Thanks again

It should be OK then.... Have a look on whirlpool forums about vodafone as I have no clue

KandyKane

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Australia
@KandyKane, going to Gold Coast and Sydney soon. I wish to get a plan which has basic calling and Internet data. Perhaps you can help me.

I browsed Telstra's website and wanted to get the $30 prepaid nano-sim starter kit, with CAP ENCORE prepaid plan. However I'm kinda confused with its "cap credit". What exactly is that?

I will be in Australia for 11 days and could see myself using considerate amount of internet (at least 2gb of data), and from the chart below, it seems only with a recharge of $100 would I get a 3Gb data, and $2000 cap credit. My question is how would I use the cap credit? Does it mean if I recharge $100 I would be able to make $2000 worth of calls? Would seems to be pretty steep to own a prepaid sim in Australia if I have to recharge $100 to get decent amount of data limit.

Can you explain it to me?

Hiya,
Sorry I haven't been on for a few days.

If you purchase a $30 sim starter kit, that would come with the simcard, your Australian mobile number and $30 of 'REAL' credit for 30 days.
When you activate the service, if you chose 'Cap Encore', you will have an additional $220 Cap credit, 400MB of data, and free calls & text to standard Australian numbers from 6PM-6AM. So you get lots of bonus 'stuff' however the call rates are quite high with a 39c call connection fee and 89c per minute, and excess data over your 400MB is $2 per MB. They're here. Funnily enough call rate to the US on that offer is only 10c more than within Australia see here. Cap credit can be used for calls (even to overseas), text, excess data. Not for 'Plus Packs', MessageBank (voicemail) or Directory Assistance or things like that. Details here.

*If you think you will use 2GB- You can purchase additional 'browse packs', out of your REAL credit. You have $30 so you can purchase 700MB for $20, so totalling 1.1GB (plus the $220 Cap credit, $10 REAL credit remaining). Total cost $30.
*The browse packs are also available for $39 for 1GB, $49 for 3GB etc. Example, if you purchased the $30 starter pack, you can then recharge with $20 so you'd have $50 of REAL credit, and purchase the $49 browse pack, and end up with 3.4GB, $220 cap credit. Total cost $50.
However, you'd be better off then recharging with a $30 and buying the $49 browse pack so you'd get the bonus cap credit and end up with 3.8GB, $440 cap credit & $10 REAL credit. Total cost $60.

Just to confuse you even more!
You'd get more value asking for a $2 standard prepaid sim, these are normal sized, come with NO credit. Activate it on the Cap Encore offer in the store and ask them to do a sim replacement to a Nano/Micro sim (it's free to change sims, if they try to charge you, tell them you will report them or something).
-Then recharge with a $50 recharge, convert $49 to the browse pack, and you'd have 3.8GB and $950 Cap Credit. Total cost $52. Best option in my opinion, then you can call as much as you like even your family back home, it's over 14 hours of phone calls.
-Or recharge with a $40 recharge, convert $39 to the browse pack, and you'd have 1.6GB and $550 Cap Credit. Total cost $42.
Downside: The staff will find you annoying, $2 sim cards are hard to find sometimes.

Phew, I hope that made sense!

NOTE: I don't think your US phone will have work on our LTE, it will fall back to HSDPA or 3.5G, whatever they're calling it now. I get between 10-15Mbps.

Disclaimer: These views are my own and do not reflect the views of Telstra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.