Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I got my second replacement. Four little dots around the bezel but I decided to live with it.

Got home and checked the back and saw this though. What do you guys think it is? It looks like a smudge but it won't wipe off (the mark next to the flash is a piece of hair. I'm referring to the cloudy smudge towards the middle of the glass). I was going to go the next day for a third replacement but figured the genius would say that this was too minor :(

Sucks that my original five was more pristine than the first and second replacement. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352727304.588857.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352727316.472022.jpg

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I got my second replacement. Four little dots around the bezel but I decided to live with it.

Got home and checked the back and saw this though. What do you guys think it is? It looks like a smudge but it won't wipe off (the mark next to the flash is a piece of hair. I'm referring to the cloudy smudge towards the middle of the glass). I was going to go the next day for a third replacement but figured the genius would say that this was too minor :(

Sucks that my original five was more pristine than the first and second replacement. View attachment 376755 View attachment 376756

not sure.. but judging by the scuff marks on the right side.. apple will likely say you dropped it

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Oh haha. Those were just finger oil remnants. They wipe off.

hahah oh ****.. well really the only thing you can do is take it back to apple and see :/

its crazy how many problems they have with QC on these new iphones.. i know its just a small percentage.. but this has never been an issue.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I've always wanted to work in an Apple store. But when I read posts like this I wonder how long my employment would last. I would literally laugh you out of the store. That literally has no effect whatsover on the intended use of the device. This phone is mass produced in a country where the employees literally live where they work and get paid about 1/100th of what you get paid. The fact that most phones are in great shape is incredible. Just be glad you can make phone calls and browse the internet.

RDaneel

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I've always wanted to work in an Apple store. But when I read posts like this I wonder how long my employment would last. I would literally laugh you out of the store. That literally has no effect whatsover on the intended use of the device. This phone is mass produced in a country where the employees literally live where they work and get paid about 1/100th of what you get paid. The fact that most phones are in great shape is incredible. Just be glad you can make phone calls and browse the internet.

Emphasis added.

Actually, they get paid about $350 per month, which would mean he'd have to make $35,000 per month for it to be 1/100th. Maybe 1/10th or 1/5th would be more accurate? Factor in free housing and it wouldn't be all that bad for their economy.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Emphasis added.

Actually, they get paid about $350 per month, which would mean he'd have to make $35,000 per month for it to be 1/100th. Maybe 1/10th or 1/5th would be more accurate? Factor in free housing and it wouldn't be all that bad for their economy.

Well I was more looking at the fact that they get paid about $1.50 an hour figuring in over time. Granted I did hyperbole the situation for effect, but considering their conditions I'm glad I have a working phone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

So if I buy a new car, and the fender has a small dent and a couple chips in the paint when they pull it up and hand over they keys. I should be ok with it? Your point is ridiculous.

IO01

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Well I was more looking at the fact that they get paid about $1.50 an hour figuring in over time. Granted I did hyperbole the situation for effect, but considering their conditions I'm glad I have a working phone.

So if I buy a new car, and the fender has a small dent and a couple chips in the paint when they pull it up and hand over they keys. I should be ok with it? Your point is ridiculous.

I would think that auto workers get paid more than $1.50 per hour. Not sure it's far to make that comparison anyways.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

Your logic is really stupid. First of all car manufactures work off of master molds that are meticulously checked and rechecked. If there is a ding on your car it happened post manufacturing not during. Secondly, they get paid real wages with real benefits. Finally, if you are going to propose a hypothetical you should say something equivalent, like I don't know another electronic handheld device. Learn to argue or at least present points that make sense.

Also with a car if you drive off without noticing a scuff or scratch you are screwed. Apple on the other hand lets you return for full refund.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Your logic is really stupid. First of all car manufactures work off of master molds that are meticulously checked and rechecked. If there is a ding on your car it happened post manufacturing not during. Secondly, they get paid real wages with real benefits. Finally, if you are going to propose a hypothetical you should say something equivalent, like I don't know another electronic handheld device. Learn to argue or at least present points that make sense.

Also with a car if you drive off without noticing a scuff or scratch you are screwed. Apple on the other hand lets you return for full refund.

The point is that he has dings on his brand new device. And if he's not ok with them he has every right to exchange it. It doesn't matter what the product is, or how much it costs to produce. If its flawed, it's flawed.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
The point is that he has dings on his brand new device. And if he's not ok with them he has every right to exchange it. It doesn't matter what the product is, or how much it costs to produce. If its flawed, it's flawed.

It is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale. If after you walk out the door a defect that has no effect on the use of the device is noticed that is then your responsibility. The fact that he sees this completely inconsequential flaw now instead of when he bought the phone at the store is not Apple's fault. He should accept it as a fact of owning the device and put a case on it. I love that Apple let's you return their phone for 30 days but really they should just tell everyone trying to return the phone over an inconsecuential scratch or blemish to shove it.

Also I realize that this particular phone is a replacement that he possibly received in the mail, however, if you think about this seriously for a moment should Apple send him another replacement for a device that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than a smudge that is so miniscule that anyone who isn't completely OCD over their stupid phone wouldn't notice?

Last edited:

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012

Yeah because a phone and a car are the same thing. Pssh.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
It is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale. If after you walk out the door a defect that has no effect on the use of the device is noticed that is then your responsibility. The fact that he sees this completely inconsequential flaw now instead of when he bought the phone at the store is not Apple's fault. He should accept it as a fact of owning the device and put a case on it. I love that Apple let's you return their phone for 30 days but really they should just tell everyone trying to return the phone over an inconsecuential scratch or blemish to shove it.

Also I realize that this particular phone is a replacement that he possibly received in the mail, however, if you think about this seriously for a moment should Apple send him another replacement for a device that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than a smudge that is so miniscule that anyone who isn't completely OCD over their stupid phone wouldn't notice?

so if i buy a TV... or anything else made by low wage employees i should have to open the device out of the box at the store and make sure my brand new devices is in fact brand new? (keeping the damages relative to the size of the product) and if so.. its absurd to ask for a one that is???

i understand if there is something minuscule that you can hardly see it. but people exchanged their phones that came out of the box with the anodized aluminum missing.. scratches etc.. doesnt really seem that ridiculous.. they should get a device just as shown in the advertisements.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Ouch. Lots of arguing. I inspected the phone when I got it and accepted that it had little chips on the bezel. It's just the smudge on the back that kind of annoys me. Unfortunately. I don't think apple will let me exchange it again because I say "there's a cloudy white mark on the back glass." I was just venting. I do wish I got a new one but that's unrealistic.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
so if i buy a TV... or anything else made by low wage employees i should have to open the device out of the box at the store and make sure my brand new devices is in fact brand new? (keeping the damages relative to the size of the product) and if so.. its absurd to ask for a one that is???

i understand if there is something minuscule that you can hardly see it. but people exchanged their phones that came out of the box with the anodized aluminum missing.. scratches etc.. doesnt really seem that ridiculous.. they should get a device just as shown in the advertisements.

.......Ok seriously what part of handheld device do you not understand? There is a big difference between a 4" phone and a 46" TV. You don't walk around with a tv. So if there are chips and scratches on it obviously it didn't happen while you were using it. If you drop a freaking TV the damage will render it unusable and obviously you wouldn't be able to return it then. If you drop a phone you might only see scratch damage. Give me a freaking break already. The fact that no comparable example can be created is evidence enough of the uniqueness of cell phones. The only point I was trying to make is that there is no way to verify if a scratch or scuff on the phone was created while manufacturing or by the user. That being said Apple out of the kindness of their hearts and quest for good customer service chooses to accept returns on cosmetic damage.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
.......Ok seriously what part of handheld device do you not understand? There is a big difference between a 4" phone and a 46" TV. You don't walk around with a tv. So if there are chips and scratches on it obviously it didn't happen while you were using it. If you drop a freaking TV the damage will render it unusable and obviously you wouldn't be able to return it then. If you drop a phone you might only see scratch damage. Give me a freaking break already. The fact that no comparable example can be created is evidence enough of the uniqueness of cell phones. The only point I was trying to make is that there is no way to verify if a scratch or scuff on the phone was created while manufacturing or by the user. That being said Apple out of the kindness of their hearts and quest for good customer service chooses to accept returns on cosmetic damage.
It is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale.

give me a break for taking what you said....as what you said.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

Read all posts.

----------

give me a break for taking what you said....as what you said.

How about you read all posts before trying to retort.

----------

By the way if you buy a tv and it is dinged up out of the box you have to send that to the manufacturer good luck taking it back to the store you bought it from. At least with Apple there is a physical store to take your 1 mm dot to.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Read all posts.

----------

How about you read all posts before trying to retort.

----------

By the way if you buy a tv and it is dinged up out of the box you have to send that to the manufacturer good luck taking it back to the store you bought it from. At least with Apple there is a physical store to take your 1 mm dot to.

almost all stores have return policies..and can see if the devices has been dropped (its called a point of impact)

i did read all posts.. and you further said specifically when buying ANYTHING..so once again.. for give me for thinking at that post.. you were talking about what you said.. ;)

you were replying to
...so we werent talking about just handheld devices when you hit us with some sweet knowledge
it is your job as a consumer to inspect whatever you purchase to ensure it is up to you standard at the point of sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.