Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi,

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac and was wondering how easy it is to put an SSD in, is there anywhere 'professional' who will install it for me, what's easiest way to transfer the data over(including my boot camp OS) and the risks of it (i'm out of warranty anyway).

Thanks for your help :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi,

I have a mid 2011 27" iMac and was wondering how easy it is to put an SSD in, is there anywhere 'professional' who will install it for me, what's easiest way to transfer the data over(including my boot camp OS) and the risks of it (i'm out of warranty anyway).

Thanks for your help :)

How are we supposed to know where you are and who is thereby local or convenient for you?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
It doesn't sound like you have a whole lot of technical capabilities to do it. Not as an insult, but I'm just trying to save you the headache of doing it yourself and wishing you had never tried.

Any apple authorized repair center can do it for you, but expect to pay a pretty penny from them.

You could also take it to local (but trusted) computer repair shop and have them do it as well for much cheaper than the Apple authorized repair centers.

chrisrayb

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
iMac SSD is Easy with Confidence

Pretty easy if you have some basic computer experience and a lot of confidence.

Online Guide:
http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

Me Putting in My SSD:
http://youtu.be/5ZiGgzlWG8A

Only three things you need to worry about.
1. Getting dust and other pesky particles in between the glass and screen.
2. When you go to remove the screen it is connected to the motherboard. Don't go yanking it up after you remove the screws, lift it slightly and make sure that all the cords are disconnected.
3. The edges of the iMac have magnets, they love to eat the screws :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.