Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
So my wife approved an iPad 4 purchase because she's sick of hearing me talk about it (heh heh).

I'm looking at either a 32 or 64 gig wifi, and had a couple questions that might help in the decision of which would be best for me.

1) I've got about 15 gigs of music. I don't know if I would really listen to music on the iPad, but it would certainly be nice to have it all on there if this is my multimedia/entertainment device. How often do you find that you use iTunes on your iPad?

2) What is the average app size? I'm assuming they are larger than the iPhone apps?

3) I know they have iPad apps and iPhone apps; if I've already bought the iPhone app, do I get a free download for the iPad version, or do I have to pay again? Also, if I buy an iPad app, can I use it on my phone as well?

4) Around how many apps do you have and about how much space do they take up total? I know this depends on the apps, but maybe I can get a ballpark idea.

I just don't want to get a 32 gig and then have to be removing stuff all the time. I would also like to be able to load a couple movies on it for flights without having to remove anything. My heart says 64 gig, but my wallet says 32 gig.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also how is in store stock at this point? Good chance of black 32 or 64 gig wifis?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I have a 32gb, which has more than enough space for me, but I don't have any music on there, which has a bearing. If I had 15gb of music on there, I'd be struggling for space (music stays on my iPhone or on my server at home).

App sizes vary almost as much as they do for Macs. One app will be a couple of mb - the next will be 1.5gb. It varies, but it's the big, spectacular games that are the really heavy-duty stuff. If you're not much of a gamer, you won't be using masses of space for apps.

iPhone apps - sometimes the app automatically switches resolution to suit the iPad. Others don't. Sometimes you'll end up paying for a second version, but it depends on the app.

Couldn't tell you how many apps I have as I've never counted them, but I'm currently using around 14gb - no music or videos, but quite a lot of books & comics, several games and stuff like Pages, Numbers, iMovie etc...

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
apps size depends on what it is. if its like a slot machine app it may be 100 mb. however if its something like racing HD or an RPG it may be 700 mb to 1 gb.

Generally speaking the better the graphics and the more complicated the game the more space it will use. I have a 32 gb ipad 1 and its almost full. 75% of it is apps and its about 5 pages of apps.

Getting the ipad version for free if you have the iphone version depends on the app i think. for good reader i think i got the ipad version for free when i bought the iphone version.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Personally, I rarely listen to iTunes music on my iPad. I always have my iPhone with me when I'm on the go, which is a better music player, and at home you can always use Home Sharing to access your library if you have a computer running iTunes turned on. I also use iTunes Match, so that's another way I can always access my library on my iPad.

My iPad 1 was only 16GB and that was too small, even without storing music on it. Most apps are small, but some games and more complex apps are 500MB-1GB in size. I also subscribe to several magazines, and issues are generally 200-500MB in size, so I shortly was out of room just from keeping a few copies of each magazine around.

I rarely load video, but when I did I was always having to shuffle things around. I initially bought a 32GB iPad 4, which likely would have been fine, but after I started having hardware issues with it, I returned it and sprung for the 64GB model just to never have to think about it again. The prices are insane, but the 32GB to 64GB jump is a much better deal than the 16GB to 32GB jump for the same $100.

Some apps give you both the iPhone and iPad version for one purchase price, others require you to buy the apps separately. It depends on the particular app.

Our local Best Buy has had iPads in stock from launch day. Supplies don't seem to be constrained.

JustSoldOut

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Houston
good wife

Congrats on the awesome wife, & way to get approval before hand.

If you want to sync 15+GBs of music and have room for movies/videos, 64GB is for you.
Maybe any Black Friday discounts will help your wallet be quiet.

Apple stores have plenty of iPad 4s in stock, as the annual iPad upgraders were caught off guard & some are still in shock. Plus the mini is stealing its attention.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
32 will probably do you fine. I bought a 64gb iPad 2 thinking the same way and, after a year, I still have 25gb free.

That's with, currently:

2000 songs
29 videos (3 full length movies, 23 episodes of Smallville [an entire season] and a couple music videos)
200 pictures
59 apps

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
depends on if you want to keep your movies on it too. I have the 64gb with 15 movies on it, no music yet and I am already over 25gb since purchasing it friday. of course you dont have to keep movies on it so it really depends on what you are wanting to do.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
So my wife approved an iPad 4 purchase because she's sick of hearing me talk about it (heh heh).

I'm looking at either a 32 or 64 gig wifi, and had a couple questions that might help in the decision of which would be best for me.

1) I've got about 15 gigs of music. I don't know if I would really listen to music on the iPad, but it would certainly be nice to have it all on there if this is my multimedia/entertainment device. How often do you find that you use iTunes on your iPad? I've never used iTunes on my iPad

2) What is the average app size? I'm assuming they are larger than the iPhone apps? Yes, they are going to be larger than iPhone apps because of the retina graphical elements.

3) I know they have iPad apps and iPhone apps; if I've already bought the iPhone app, do I get a free download for the iPad version, or do I have to pay again? Also, if I buy an iPad app, can I use it on my phone as well? If you've bought a universal app (has the + symbol) then, yes, if automatic app downloads is on, they should automatically download to the iPad.

4) Around how many apps do you have and about how much space do they take up total? I know this depends on the apps, but maybe I can get a ballpark idea. I have a 16GB iPad 3 (bought a 32GB iPad mini LTE though) and have never really filled it up. I have a few videos I put on it every once in a while. Games take up alot of space but I dont game that much. So to each their own on that one. I bought the 32GB mini because I am thinking about using it in my truck for music and navigation.

I just don't want to get a 32 gig and then have to be removing stuff all the time. I would also like to be able to load a couple movies on it for flights without having to remove anything. My heart says 64 gig, but my wallet says 32 gig. Go with your wallet. Just think about the amount of times you will actually be loading it up with movies/tv shows and how long those flights MAY be. Movies are only a couple GB at most, even in HD. Besides, if you find out you need more space, exchange it for the 64GB.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also how is in store stock at this point? Good chance of black 32 or 64 gig wifis?

:apple:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If the purchase button for the app in the app store has a '+' symbol in the top right corner, then the app is for both iPhone and iPad, so if you've already purchased it you will be able to install it on your other device.

Regarding size, if you decide to put all your music on the iPad then I would suggest perhaps the 64GB. I don't listen to music on my iPad very often, usually via Bluetooth to a speaker at home, whereas my iPhone gets plugged into my car for music and I generally listen to it more often.

If this is a one time purchase and you do not expect to upgrade to a new iPad in the next couple of years, go large. Have you considered the cellular version too? Or did your wife approve a particular price? ;)

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

1) I've got about 15 gigs of music. I don't know if I would really listen to music on the iPad, but it would certainly be nice to have it all on there if this is my multimedia/entertainment device. How often do you find that you use iTunes on your iPad?

2) What is the average app size? I'm assuming they are larger than the iPhone apps?

3) I know they have iPad apps and iPhone apps; if I've already bought the iPhone app, do I get a free download for the iPad version, or do I have to pay again? Also, if I buy an iPad app, can I use it on my phone as well?

4) Around how many apps do you have and about how much space do they take up total? I know this depends on the apps, but maybe I can get a ballpark idea.

I just don't want to get a 32 gig and then have to be removing stuff all the time. I would also like to be able to load a couple movies on it for flights without having to remove anything. My heart says 64 gig, but my wallet says 32 gig.

Thanks.

I have a 16gb. No music on it apps are huge my first 5 apps are over 1gb. Have 40 apps 3 gb left

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Consider movies as well, which can be rather large in size. Music, Apps, Movies and Photos can fill an iPad rather quickly. The longer you have it, the more it will fill up. If you can afford, go for 64GB IMO.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I found it easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Anyway, I bought a 16GB and its not enough. I deleted 2 HD game apps. There are only 2 movies on there, so I agree with getting the 64GB. But, if you stream your videos, then 32GB would be enough.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

I love it. My wife does the same when I bring Apple stuff up enough times in general conversation. "Did you see the new iPad mini commercial?" Works well. And the best is "if only my phone could do what the....oh....never mind."

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
The 15 GBs of music can be solved if you let iTunes downgrade the music to 128 kb/s. It should get that down about half if those 15 GBs of music are 256 kb/s encoded.

As for the movies, iTunes 1080p movies average at around 4 GBs. Some are obviously less than that, but just average it around 4 GBs and you should be able to put in a couple with no problems.

Now for the Apps, someone else mentioned that it will vary around 500 MBs to even 1 GB and that's roughly true. If you're going to put games on the iPad, expect to fill it up really quick. Specially the games with 3D models (EX: Real Racing, Infinity Blade, etc.).

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
If you have a ton of digital copies, get the 64GB.

I have the 64Gb version for all my iTunes digital copy bluray movies.
I have 126 iTunes digital copy movies that ;stream' to my Apple TV, but wont stream to my iPad :mad: - thus I have to store them on the ipad so the ki9ds can watch movies 'on the go'.

One day, HOPEFULLY, iTunes Match will also match the movies I have purchased and STREAM them to all my Apple devices.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I love it. My wife does the same when I bring Apple stuff up enough times in general conversation. "Did you see the new iPad mini commercial?" Works well. And the best is "if only my phone could do what the....oh....never mind."

or you could just flat out tell her you want it. If its in the budget, then let her know and be done with it. Same thing with her. When ever she wants something, she'll bring it up to me. I'll look at the budget, then ask her if it something she really wants and will use a lot. if she thinks she'll really use it. then approved. No tricking, no nagging.

----------

If you have a ton of digital copies, get the 64GB.

I have the 64Gb version for all my iTunes digital copy bluray movies.
I have 126 iTunes digital copy movies that ;stream' to my Apple TV, but wont stream to my iPad :mad: - thus I have to store them on the ipad so the ki9ds can watch movies 'on the go'.

One day, HOPEFULLY, iTunes Match will also match the movies I have purchased and STREAM them to all my Apple devices.

thats really up to the studios to let apple do it

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

Right now my 32 gb iPhone 4S has 9.9 free gigs, and I have 32 apps and 1906 songs. I've probably got around 200 photos on it at the moment, which I won't have on the iPad. iPad will really just be music and apps, really not many photos and no movies except for the occasional overseas flight.

I probably will buy some more apps, but I'm not much of a gamer beyond Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, or a few like others like that. Overall though I'm really not a huge app guy. I'm not someone that has 200 apps I never use.

I feel like 32 is probably ok, but I wonder how long it will take before it starts filling up (and slowing down?).

I have no problem putting a movie on for a flight and taking that off afterwards; I'm not planning on keeping movies on it permanently, but I just don't want to have to remove music or apps to put a couple movies on it for my flight.

Last edited:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
or you could just flat out tell her you want it. If its in the budget, then let her know and be done with it. Same thing with her. When ever she wants something, she'll bring it up to me. I'll look at the budget, then ask her if it something she really wants and will use a lot. if she thinks she'll really use it. then approved. No tricking, no nagging.

----------

thats really up to the studios to let apple do it

Dude, she knows what I'm doing when I'm doing it. It's a game we play. It's fun.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010

Thanks.

Congrats on getting the green light from the wife. I have made the mistake all too often of purchasing and getting crap for it later ;)

That said, unless you have a personal budget that you need to keep to, I say go for the 64 Gb model while you have spousal approval. That way you know you will have enough space, and just as importantly, you will get more for it a few years down the road if you want to sell and upgrade.

You have to think ahead a little bit, lol.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012

WTH? :eek:

Man, some chicks really have it easy today with guys like this. Does she also tell you which handbag to carry? :D

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I've always gone on the premise it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Started the marriage that way and its never been an issue. As long as the lights are on, the mortgage is paid, and groceries are in the fridge she doesn't complain. I'm thankful none of the above have been an issue for us since we finished college.

Of course, when she wants something, I just tell her to go get it. So it is a two way street.

Back on topic: except for certain games, app size has never been a problem for me. That said, I switched from 16g iPhone 4 and iPad 3 to 32g iPhone 5 and iPad 4 because I like my movies (travel a lot) and got tired of worrying about space. 32g works for me, but get the largest you feel comfortable paying for.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Asking permission to buy gadgets makes me happy I'm single :D

Ontopic: I had the 64gb iPad3 and for me that was too much, so this time I went with 32gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.