Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
So I just got my turquoise Switcheasy Tones and I am SO disappointed in it. The rubber part is a very stiff TPU (not "gummy-like" at all) that does not provide the buttons with very good feedback, as opposed to my Speck Candyshell. On top of that, the volume rocker buttons are slightly misaligned. I was also so scared to remove the case fearing the plastic sides would scratch the bezel. I also did not like the feel of the case in the hand since it is too plasticy and slippery with practically no grip since the rubber part is not grippy. Oh and the lay-on-the-table is extremely minimal. The only plus to the case is that the color was the perfect dusty green-blue :eek:. I was really looking forward to this case and did not expect to dislike it as much as I did.

/returned. :(

I am still on the hunt for my perfect case. Does the Incipio Frequency or Speck Pixelskin for the iPhone 5 provide more tactile and "clicky" button feedback?

Wow now I am sad :'( The Frequency really does provide great button feedback. :D You should try one out! The power button again like I said is not as clicky though. The volume buttons are so perfect though! :D

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Oh that sucks Cosmos! I do like the Incipio Frequency though I'm using a CandyShell Grip at the moment. Maybe I'll order the SwitchEasy for myself just to see. I'm really curious. One thing that I'm worried about though is dust and stuff getting into the seams where the rubber and the plastic parts meet. The gap seems kind of large...

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Wow now I am sad :'( The Frequency really does provide great button feedback. :D You should try one out! The power button again like I said is not as clicky though. The volume buttons are so perfect though! :D

I think I am going to check out the Frequency tomorrow! I'm still debating between the purple and black. I am usually into bright colors but I think the contrast of the matte black with glossy accents would look great on the white iPhone 5 :)

Oh that sucks Cosmos! I do like the Incipio Frequency though I'm using a CandyShell Grip at the moment. Maybe I'll order the SwitchEasy for myself just to see. I'm really curious. One thing that I'm worried about though is dust and stuff getting into the seams where the rubber and the plastic parts meet. The gap seems kind of large...

How do you find the Frequency's button feedback as opposed to the Candyshell Grip's? I'm using a Candyshell Flip right now and LOVE how tactile the buttons are. Regarding the Tones, if any dirt gets in between the sides it can scratch because of the hard plastic rubbing against the sides of the iPhone. I would say to clean the case regularly to avoid dirt scratching the iPhone but you can't take the case in and out weekly because it is so hard to remove!

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
So I just got my turquoise Switcheasy Tones and I am SO disappointed in it. The rubber part is a very stiff TPU (not "gummy-like" at all) that does not provide the buttons with very good feedback, as opposed to my Speck Candyshell. On top of that, the volume rocker buttons are slightly misaligned. I was also so scared to remove the case fearing the plastic sides would scratch the bezel. I also did not like the feel of the case in the hand since it is too plasticy and slippery with practically no grip since the rubber part is not grippy. Oh and the lay-on-the-table is extremely minimal. The only plus to the case is that the color was the perfect dusty green-blue :eek:. I was really looking forward to this case and did not expect to dislike it as much as I did.

/returned. :(

I am still on the hunt for my perfect case. Does the Incipio Frequency or Speck Pixelskin for the iPhone 5 provide more tactile and "clicky" button feedback?

Sorry for the double post :eek:

Was the turquoise pretty close to the color on their website? http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5 I don't really like how light the rubber part looks in the photos...

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Sorry for the double post :eek:

Was the turquoise pretty close to the color on their website? http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5 I don't really like how light the rubber part looks in the photos...

I would say that it is fairly accurate but in real life the Turqoise Tones is a touch bluer and darker on the rubber parts, but not by much.

I know your looking for a good blue/green case, so I HIGHLY recommend the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer in teal/gray instead of the Tones. I just got the Grip Candy today and it is as slim as the Tones but with MUCH more tactile buttons that are very clicky and less slippery. Plus the back is frosted matte teal so you can see your iPhone 5 through it!

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I think I am going to check out the Frequency tomorrow! I'm still debating between the purple and black. I am usually into bright colors but I think the contrast of the matte black with glossy accents would look great on the white iPhone 5 :)

How do you find the Frequency's button feedback as opposed to the Candyshell Grip's? I'm using a Candyshell Flip right now and LOVE how tactile the buttons are. Regarding the Tones, if any dirt gets in between the sides it can scratch because of the hard plastic rubbing against the sides of the iPhone. I would say to clean the case regularly to avoid dirt scratching the iPhone but you can't take the case in and out weekly because it is so hard to remove!

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to buy or try a Candyshell! I kind of want one but I had one for a while on my iPhone 4.. hate how much they scratch. I just want my damn ZooGue cases to come in, I love those. Haha definitely, this phone doesn't seem to hold up to things rubbing up against it very well. :p

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to buy or try a Candyshell! I kind of want one but I had one for a while on my iPhone 4.. hate how much they scratch. I just want my damn ZooGue cases to come in, I love those. Haha definitely, this phone doesn't seem to hold up to things rubbing up against it very well. :p

I have a Candyshell and Candyshell Flip for for my iPhone 5 and I like to use them when I want a little more protection for my iPhone 5. The lighter colors, especially white, barely show any scratches! That's funny you mention ZooGue cases because I was just thinking about getting the white one since I am on the hunt for a good silicone/soft TPU white case. Their free case period is over though but it says it will be back soon so that's good.

You NEED to get a Belkin Grip Candy Sheer Minhimalism! See my post right above your last where I talk about it compared to the Switcheasy Tones. I just put the Candy Sheer and the Tones side by side again and the Candy Sheer is actually a milimeter slimmer than the Tones and with much more tactile buttons! For a slim case it actually has a lot of protection and a small lip. I got it in the Teal/Gray and I want to get it in the Purple/Turquoise as well since I love it so much. For the same price as the Tones, in my opinion the Candy Sheer is a much better option (plus it looks better and comes in cooler color combos :D).

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I just put the Candy Sheer and the Tones side by side again and the Candy Sheer is actually a milimeter slimmer than the Tones and with much more tactile buttons!

Really? I put the Grip Candy and CandyShell side by side (face down), and the Belkin as just a millimeter thinner. You make me want to try the Tones now.

Can anybody confirm that the Tones is thinner than the Grip Candy? Comparison picture, maybe?

hbalazs

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I bought mine yesterday. A black one. I watched a review on YouTube befor, and I've choosen this and it looks very good. It came with two screenshields for the front (which I won't be using, because I don't like them), and one for the back. Now I only need is my iPhone 5 to arrive. :)

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Really? I put the Grip Candy and CandyShell side by side (face down), and the Belkin as just a millimeter thinner. You make me want to try the Tones now.

Can anybody confirm that the Tones is thinner than the Grip Candy? Comparison picture, maybe?

The Tones case IS thinner and smaller than the Candyshell Grip case. I had the Grip case but swapped to the Tones case for this very reason.

Comparison pics:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352804595.480010.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352804608.620811.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352804618.728195.jpg

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
The Tones case IS thinner and smaller than the Candyshell Grip case. I had the Grip case but swapped to the Tones case for this very reason.

Comparison pics:

Thanks for the comparison pictures! I'm definitely going to watch some reviews to make my final decision. It looks VERY similar to my Belkin Grip Candy in thickness.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Thanks for the comparison pictures! I'm definitely going to watch some reviews to make my final decision. It looks VERY similar to my Belkin Grip Candy in thickness.

May I add my 2 cents? I have both (Grip Candy and Tones). Tones is the better case.

Grip Candy is

A tad thicker. From memory it is a bit longer or wider too.
Front lip overlaps more onto front glass in an unnecessary way.
Front lip fits looser, and bottom too. More room for dust to enter
Oversized camera opening is unnecessary...and allows more dust to enter. No flash problems with Tones.
TPU material on Candy is more slippery than Tones.
Buttons are not as smooth on volume or power.

One advantage of Candy is:

Easier to remove, but Tones is not that hard...Tones just fits better and tighter which is good. I see no dust when I remove the Tones
Power opening on Candy is larger and accepts 30 pin to Lightning 4 inch cable from Apple without the need to sand down that cable.

Overall the fit, finish, grip and tight fit of the Tones is better, plus you get screen protectors and port plugs for $24.95. It also looks better too.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
May I add my 2 cents? I have both (Grip Candy and Tones). Tones is the better case.

Grip Candy is

A tad thicker. From memory it is a bit longer or wider too.
Front lip overlaps more onto front glass in an unnecessary way.
Front lip fits looser, and bottom too. More room for dust to enter
Oversized camera opening is unnecessary...and allows more dust to enter. No flash problems with Tones.
TPU material on Candy is more slippery than Tones.
Buttons are not as smooth on volume or power.

One advantage of Candy is:

Easier to remove, but Tones is not that hard...Tones just fits better and tighter which is good. I see no dust when I remove the Tones
Power opening on Candy is larger and accepts 30 pin to Lightning 4 inch cable from Apple without the need to sand down that cable.

Overall the fit, finish, grip and tight fit of the Tones is better, plus you get screen protectors and port plugs for $24.95. It also looks better too.

Thank you! I think I'll order a Tones soon.

The buttons on the Tones look TINY compared to the Grip Candy. The Grip Candy's buttons are somewhat stiff, but not a problem. How are the buttons on the Tones? And how do the speaker/mic holes on the bottom line up? Those are my two main concerns.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Thank you! I think I'll order a Tones soon.

The buttons on the Tones look TINY compared to the Grip Candy. The Grip Candy's buttons are somewhat stiff, but not a problem. How are the buttons on the Tones? And how do the speaker/mic holes on the bottom line up? Those are my two main concerns.

The tiny buttons are very responsive. The power button is a bit stiffer, but not a concern. The Candy buttons may be bigger, but the Tones' work better.

The speaker/mic holes line up perfectly. There is one row of holes missing between the power plug and ear jack...don't know why, but it doesn't change the performance as far as I can tell.

P.S. I would order from Switcheasy directly. I read about some misfits/fakes on Amazon.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
The tiny buttons are very responsive. The power button is a bit stiffer, but not a concern. The Candy buttons may be bigger, but the Tones' work better.

The speaker/mic holes line up perfectly. There is one row of holes missing between the power plug and ear jack...don't know why, but it doesn't change the performance as far as I can tell.

P.S. I would order from Switcheasy directly. I read about some misfits/fakes on Amazon.

Will do. Thanks!

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Switcheasy is easily I think my favorite case company.

I have a Switcheasy "Colors" case in white on my white 4S. The case looks like it was built for the phone. The white shade on the case is the closest I've seen to the shade of white on the iPhone. 4 of my friends with iPhones bought my case because they loved mine.
a_2_5.jpg

The TONES look excellent on the 5. Again, looks like it was made for the phone.

I love the port protectors that it comes with too. That's a company that actually thinks about it's consumers.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

The Tones case which I got was from Amazon (UK) and its fine and for only £19.99 including delivery, is an absolute bargain, considering all the accessories you get :

2 front screen shields
1 back shield (which only covers the anodized back and not the glass)
2 headset port covers
2 charging port covers
squeegee
cleaning cloth

;)

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that this case seems to be out of stock from most retailers? Switcheasy.com shows a ship date of 11/26, macmall.com shows out of stock, Amazon.com (not Amazon resellers) shows out of stock too. Has anyone heard mention of a new version coming out?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Has anyone else noticed that this case seems to be out of stock from most retailers? Switcheasy.com shows a ship date of 11/26, macmall.com shows out of stock, Amazon.com (not Amazon resellers) shows out of stock too. Has anyone heard mention of a new version coming out?

I just ordered an another one last night. Haven't seen any out of stock on the switcheasy website, where I ordered from. But also haven't received a ship confirmation yet.

What would the update? Maybe the power connection hole?

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
I just ordered an another one last night. Haven't seen any out of stock on the switcheasy website, where I ordered from. But also haven't received a ship confirmation yet.

What would the update? Maybe the power connection hole?

I was thinking the power connection port and the fact that a row of the mic is covered up. Even if there isn't a new version, I still think it's a great case and plan on ordering one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.