Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I do a lot of streaming radio in my car, and I couldn't help but notice that when LTE is being accessed there is a faint buzzing static sound that can be heard through my car speakers, This stops when I switch to 4G. I never had this with iPhone 4 on 3G. Kind of reminds me of the data buzz you would get on Edge, but not nearly as bad.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe a limitation of LTE or possibly hardware related?

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I do a lot of streaming radio in my car, and I couldn't help but notice that when LTE is being accessed there is a faint buzzing static sound that can be heard through my car speakers, This stops when I switch to 4G. I never had this with iPhone 4 on 3G. Kind of reminds me of the data buzz you would get on Edge, but not nearly as bad.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe a limitation of LTE or possibly hardware related?

AT&T just turned on LTE in my area and I am now getting the same thing over my clock radio/alarm clock speaker on my nightstand (near where I place my iPhone to charge overnight). Never had that with 3G. It's like were back in the Edge days with the first iPhone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I do a lot of streaming radio in my car, and I couldn't help but notice that when LTE is being accessed there is a faint buzzing static sound that can be heard through my car speakers,

You mean, this sound?

Yep, I've noticed it too. This noise is all I can hear at full volume when I have my noise-cancelling headphones turned on and LTE is running.

thatguyjeff

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I listen to the radio on a desk in my office. I get interference now when my iphone5 is within a couple feet of the radio.

They just turned on LTE in MSP a few days ago and this just started when LTE was turned on. No issues before that.

Just frequency interference with the radio signal apparently.

bugme

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
It's because of the LTE, to fix, get a ground loop isolator, or this thingy: http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0031U1ATQ (kensington noise reducing aux cable)

the phone isn't defective or anything. LTE, like GSM/EDGE, just causes a lot of noise as the radio switches on and off (a few hundred times a second) to create the buzz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.