Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Microsoft's Palmer err (Em)Balmer hehe should also fire those dudes at MS retail who were caught pretending to be busy. :D

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
And who cares?? Sombody is getting ripped off and think its the customers.

Good point. A couple weeks ago, I was walking past the Apple store in the mall. Three of the blueshirts rushed out and grabbed me, and a fourth one started punching me in the face. They only stopped beating me and let me go when I gave them my wallet. They ripped me off, man.

Oh wait... none of that actually happened. The blueshirts showed me an iPad, I liked it and decided to buy it. They kindly took my money and wrapped up the iPad for me. I guess I paid for a few dozen square inches of the store this year.

THE B******S RIPPED ME OFF!

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
The happiness iGet per sq. inch of my body for every iDevice iBuy is priceless.

Somebody is jealous and cannot sleep at nights because of that apparently. :D

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I have to agree. Very few people are actually buying whenever I've been in their - most go in there for the free wifi, to check emails and facebook...feel like slapping them sometimes.

Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi. I know they want to draw people in to use the machines, but surely they arent getting a sale anyway from someone who's only purpose in the shop is to post a status update.

Do people really need wifi to go on Facebook? There can't be that many people on Facebook who don't have at least 3G, and it's not like it uses a significant amount of data.

I guess you don't know much about corporations. It's not aapl's job. Charitable donations by corporations is a tricky area. In the end, corporations are in business to make money for shareholders. Expenditures really have to be justified as a means toward that end. When a donation is very large it really becomes "advertising" and isn't at all charitable. $2M was a small amount intended to do no more than assist in a charitable effort.

But then, you're not from the U.S. since you wrote:

"Good job Sammy. Show the bastards how we do it in Korea"

You sound a little rude there, with the "I guess you don't know much about corporations.", and then you sound a bit xenophobic with the "But then, you're not from the U.S...".

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Haha. Another year, another first year finish in terms of $/sq. ft. Apple will continue to enjoy jamming this factoid every meeting/orientation. They are very proud of this stat.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
People keep throwing around this word "innovation". What exactly is it and how do you define it?

So making a mobile phone with a 4.5" screen vs a 4" screen is innovation? Making a 7" 16:9 consumption tablet is innovation but when Apple releases a 7.9" 4:3 tablet that's boring and shows Apple is slipping? :confused:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder how well that scales? I've been to a few Apple Stores in Illinois and they've been packed. Makes me wonder how much business is lost because of how crowded the stores are.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
You sound a little rude there, with the "I guess you don't know much about corporations.", and then you sound a bit xenophobic with the "But then, you're not from the U.S...".

Not really. He/she probably doesn't know much about US corporations and corporate taxes because from Korea. I don't know much about U.K. or Korean corporations.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Apparently because if Apple only meets its projections, and doesn't beat them by ten percent, it's a sign that the company is doomed and the stock will drop by 20%.

That can be an indication that the market was overpricing the stock. The company's tangible per share book value is way below even the current market price... so the premium for future cash flows could be too steep (and given the last two quarters performance, I think it is a little steep...).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Did the same guy who wrote the, iPad Mini added to Apple's holiday gift guide, article wright this useless news piece too?

And oohhh, oh look Apple sold more then Tiffany's!!!!!! Yeah, not really surprising..

Nope, today at Mac Rumors towers is officially a vvveeeeerrrryyyyyyy ssslllllooooowwwwww news day!

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
This is interesting. Apple's store in Tysons Corner, Virginia is probably twice as big as their stores in Fair Oaks, Virginia and Reston, Virginia. Of course, the Tysons Corner store is probably considered their flagship store for the greater Washington D.C. metro area.

My guess is that location probably take precedence over store size and location to a certain extent probably dictates store size.

I'm sure Apple has done plenty of research on who is buying their products and they open their stores in the areas where those people live and work.

The Tysons store was the first Apple Store in the world. I think they just chose a spot, not really giving thought to size as they had no idea how it would turn out. Then Reston and Fair Oaks were built as "overflow" stores to handle extre traffic from Tysons.

Just my thoughts.

eyhk

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

Actually this means many things. It means that their retail operations are not only very efficient, but that they also sell A LOT. Selling that much means their products are very desirable. And we all know that Apple doesn't change price points much, they just introduce new products at different price points, and even then it's usually in a lower price bracket (with exception to the new Retina macbooks) so your "increasing price" point is false.

Also, I don't see how the point that they are making a lot of money efficiently in terms of retail space has anything to do with them NOT investing in R&D, quality, or lowering prices (I'm assuming that's what you meant).
Here are the facts:

* They are increasing their R&D expenditures in absolute terms by roughly 33% y/y, and in 2011 their R&D was a little over $600 million. True, their sales are increasing much faster than that so the overall percentage spent on R&D is decreasing, but that only shows the efficiency of their R&D (http://www.asymco.com/2012/01/30/you-cannot-buy-innovation/).

* They are investing in manufacturing and services at an almost exponential rate, with nearly $10 billion reported in 2012 (http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/07/re...of-apples-2012-and-2013-capital-expenditures/).

* Compared to the above expenditures, litigation cost is nominal at best. Bloomberg reports that the $32 million Apple spent on litigation against Motorola Mobility (Google) equals just 6 hours of iPhone sales (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...tles-create-lawyer-boon-at-1-200-an-hour.html). Also, Apple recently won a $1 billion judgement against Samsung, which certainly pays the bills if and when they do ever get that money.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I actually find this entire statistic flawed useless and biased, for instance apart from Tiffany's, and I don't even know where one of their stores is in the UK, I have never ever heard of the other company's, so hardly that popular. So unless the statistic is based on US sales only made from in the brick and mortar stores, then it's useless.
But it still means nothing to me.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I actually find this entire statistic flawed useless and biased, for instance apart from Tiffany's, and I don't even know where one of their stores is in the UK, I have never ever heard of the other company's, so hardly that popular. So unless the statistic is based on US sales only made from in the brick and mortar stores, then it's useless.
But it still means nothing to me.

The title of the thread is:

Apple Again Tops U.S. Retail Chains in Sales at $6000 per Square Foot

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
And how does this make their last product innovative? Better? Worth the increasing price?

Yeah, one of those many many micro-news any corporation could do in other domains, that actually don't mean anything but Apple making money and obviously not investing it in R&D, quality or consumer prices anymore...but rather in ridiculous patent lawsuits.

Also what does it have to do with the price of tea in China? Answer me THAT!

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The Tysons store was the first Apple Store in the world. I think they just chose a spot, not really giving thought to size as they had no idea how it would turn out. Then Reston and Fair Oaks were built as "overflow" stores to handle extre traffic from Tysons.

Just my thoughts.

Seriously!? In the entire world?

I would have thought they would have opened their first store in California someplace. It seems strange they chose Washington D.C.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I have to agree. Very few people are actually buying whenever I've been in their - most go in there for the free wifi, to check emails and facebook...feel like slapping them sometimes.

Not sure why Apple still havent blocked access to social networks on their in-store wifi. I know they want to draw people in to use the machines, but surely they arent getting a sale anyway from someone who's only purpose in the shop is to post a status update.
When they ring you up, there are strobe lights and bells like the jackpot on a slot machine. So when you don't hear those bells, you assume that no one else is buying.

What you don't realize is that Apple only rings the bells for you. Everyone else simply hands a credit card to a clerk in a blue shirt who quietly swipes it through a card reader, and the receipt is emailed to the customer, who walks out casually without notifying you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.