Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
What chipping, fading, scratches and peeling? I've sen none of that. The iPhone 5 is the highest quality phone I've owned. But then again, I pay little attention to the haters. Have a nice day.
Just like some might assume all iPhone 5s are crap, some might also assume that they are all perfect. The answer, of course, is somewhere in the middle.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Just like some might assume all iPhone 5s are crap, some might also assume that they are all perfect. The answer, of course, is somewhere in the middle.

I agree! The majority of iP5's I've seen are great. On the other hand, the 2 I've seen that are nicked look horrible. If it was me I would be terribly upset. It's not hating it's receiving a sub par product in exchange for a lot of money.

To the OP, I don't think it's too early to start talking 5S or whatever you want. Apple's stock price is all speculation, technology is a speculative market. They bombed with this form factor though. It is nicer than the 4S but it's not future proof. I would have gone with a bigger phone. Galaxy S3 size. Next September I would debut with iPhone mini. The screen size of the 4S that is much thinner and lighter. Would have propelled Apple to another feat of greatness. Instead they put out this longer screen size, and while it's nicer it just doesn't make any sense long term. They got it right with the iPad, I don't get how they bombed with the phone side.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Yeah it's not as if we are on a rumour site :rolleyes:

I didn't say he couldn't discuss his wish list. I was simply saying that I'd recommend holding off until hypothetical leaks or parts start surfacing. Until that point everything discussed on this thread along with any other threads are simply wish lists or hope.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
You know it's fake when they said it would be released with Apple's new Ipad in the first half ot the year, Apple would never outdate a product THAT fast. Rumors spread by Samsung to slow down iPhone 5 sales

I would tend to agree, however the timing is not right. Samsung will be introducing their next version of the Galaxy around the same time so the last thing they would want is to have another Apple iPhone to compete with. If anything it sounds more like Apple strategically releasing a phone to reduce excitment about the next Samsung Galaxy model. With the rate that Ssmsung/Google are releasing innovative updates, this may be Apple's response to ensure they do not lose customers.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Still don't understand why people keep complaining about the aluminum, scratches, peeling, chipping. I got my black iPhone 5 on day 1 and it was in minted condition. No scratches, no scuffs, no nothing. I bought an Incipio case as I always do with my iPhones and have been happy with that. If you plan to use your iPhone naked no matter what product it is made it will scratch, scuff, etc… It is the same when you buy a brand new car. It comes in minted condition but once you put it in the road it won’t be perfect anymore.

Sparkey04

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Liverpool
apple will lose more customers than they gain releasing a new iPhone just a few months after one just came out.

Why? I have the I5 and would be delighted if they went to two phones a year. Fully believe they will release a new iPad in April that is lighter for example.

Incremental updates so that people just buy when they feel there has been enough change to make it worth while for them personally. Even if there is a new phone in April I wouldn't consider a new one until the October model at the earliest.

Why restrict models to one a year when tech moves so quickly? Age old argument that my I5 doesn't suddenly stop working because a new phone comes out. I have an iPad3 don't care in the least the 4 is out as it will mean the 5 will be better again and might consider that but more likely the 6th, following that don't care what the 7th has...

I think in the past Apple had the luxury of making greater profits as they could do one model a year and refine the production line to minimise costs but Samsung has caught up now so they have to compete. Frankly great for consumers as there will be pressures to keep prices down as well. Hopefully it will make Apple introduce another game changer device and create a whole new market like they did with iPad.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I dont think the uni-body is stamped. I'm pretty sure apple has almost all of its casings/frames/bodies machined individually.

Maybe so but I still feel the new 5 body is cheap feeling in design compared to the 4S. It what they had to do to get rid of all that weight:rolleyes:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Why? I have the I5 and would be delighted if they went to two phones a year. Fully believe they will release a new iPad in April that is lighter for example.

Incremental updates so that people just buy when they feel there has been enough change to make it worth while for them personally. Even if there is a new phone in April I wouldn't consider a new one until the October model at the earliest.

Why restrict models to one a year when tech moves so quickly? Age old argument that my I5 doesn't suddenly stop working because a new phone comes out. I have an iPad3 don't care in the least the 4 is out as it will mean the 5 will be better again and might consider that but more likely the 6th, following that don't care what the 7th has...

I think in the past Apple had the luxury of making greater profits as they could do one model a year and refine the production line to minimise costs but Samsung has caught up now so they have to compete. Frankly great for consumers as there will be pressures to keep prices down as well. Hopefully it will make Apple introduce another game changer device and create a whole new market like they did with iPad.
Many people just used their upgrade on the iPhone 5, or still have a contract on the 4S. Releasing 2 models a year would put your upgrade back to the 4th model and it costs would do justice to the profit. Its what YOU want, not what everyone else wants.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I don't think the 5S is going to offer anything groundbreaking IMO. Better camera, thicker anodizing, improved SIRI, and most likely ios7 with improved Passport App but no NFC yet.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
A 5S so soon just does not make sense in the slightest. These kind of rumours have been emerging for years and it NEVER happens.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You really think apple brings out a new phone before the 4G auction begins?

Why not?

People don't seem to understand that at the end of the auction the largest European networks WILL be using ALL of the spectrum on sale.

Apple WILL have to make a phone that works with LTE on 800MHz, 1800MHz, 2100Mhz and 2600MHz if they want to cover the UK and most European countries.

Apple does not need to wait to see if this happens - it is certain to happen.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
A 5S so soon just does not make sense in the slightest. These kind of rumours have been emerging for years and it NEVER happens.

The radio this morning read a statement that a Chinese company will be begin testing for a new iPhone in January 2013. Nothing to do with real production dates. If Apple plans to release a new phone in Sep 2013, they would already need to be working the manufacturing process, especially with the disaster in rates for the 5. It's really not a big deal, it's just business. They would be smart to do better than last time.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
You know it's fake when they said it would be released with Apple's new Ipad in the first half ot the year, Apple would never outdate a product THAT fast. Rumors spread by Samsung to slow down iPhone 5 sales

Seeing as people have been complaining that Apple's products are update only once a year and become "outdated" pretty quickly, maybe Apple is looking to change its strategy and do 2 product updates per year.

From a business perspective, it could help with revenue smoothing seeing as Apple has been missing 3rd quarter estimates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.