Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eastbay

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
You can get the replacment for $200 regardless.

$100 Applecare+$49 fee=$149. Doesn't really seem worth it to me, since the chance of dropping is so low.

As others have stated, I believe the 5 is $229 replacement fee

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Since this phone is so prone to scratches and nicks, I purchased Applecare + and plan to intentionally destroy for replacement, if my phone gets physical damage. So far Ive noticed if you get a scratch free out of box, it is easy to keep that way with care.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
I debated between ST and AC, I ended up with AC because of the turn around rate.

How i saw it:
AC--make appointment then walk in and get taken care of
ST--send phone off and wait a minimum 2 day (sending then receiving it) or go to apple and pay up front for servicing then be reimbursed by ST.

Just seemed easier to get it fixed if I could walk in, and you may even get a new phone if its too much of a hassle :p

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Apple care+ is well worth the money and for peace of mind, and with the walk in and get it replaced on the spot service it can't be beat.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
As others have stated, I believe the 5 is $229 replacement fee

Makes no difference still not worth it in my opinion and from an economic POV to purchase Applecare+ purely for the accidental damage protection.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Not for a 64GB iphone 5.

I haven't broken my iPhone 5 in order to check this and I also haven't called to ask but I did have a 64 GB iPhone 4s and when I went into replace it because of a broken screen I only had to pay 200 bucks.

----------

You can get the replacment for $200 regardless.

$100 Applecare+$49 fee=$149. Doesn't really seem worth it to me, since the chance of dropping is so low.

So you wouldn't want to save 80 bucks to replace your broken phone? From a piece of mind POV it is extemely worth it.

Chargr

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Square trade regularly cost 99$, but if u like their Facebook page and submit ur email. Your going to get 40% off the regular price. Better than Apple Care!

Gonna get it later today and get my code :D

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Square trade regularly cost 99$, but if u like their Facebook page and submit ur email. Your going to get 40% off the regular price. Better than Apple Care!

Gonna get it later today and get my code :D

That's a good price I just hate dealing with 3rd party insurance companies. They always try to find a way to screw you and I know with my luck I'd break my phone and fall under some kind of exception that would make me unable to replace my phone.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
IMO money is much better spent buying AC+ than one of those hideous looking cases that costs like $50 that destroys the aesthetics of your phone. When you sell your phone to upgrade to the next one, you will also get better resale value having AC+.

I had a 4S that I bought used with a year of AC+ left. The mute switch wasn't operating smoothly. While I was at the Apple store one day I casually mentioned it to the rep. He replaced it for me on the spot. I sold the phone as a new refurb with a year of AC+ after I bought the 5; it very nicely subsided my full price 5 purchase :D

If you're at all considering buying an extended warranty, just go straight to AC+ and don't bother with Square Trade. You can't beat Apple service.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I've never bought an extended warranty, and had I, would have never used it.
There are a few things to think about. First of all some people are more likely to drop the iPhone/iPad than others. Think little kids or pets around the house for example.

Second, people have had different experiences with Apple products and failures in year 2 and 3 of ownership. I've had some systems where the AppleCare cost more than replacement parts. I've had 2 systems where the AppleCare more than paid for itself and the AppleCare I had on the other systems. My current iMac (for example) needed a new optical drive and new logic board.

And finally AppleCare is a way of budgeting [possible] repair to devices and systems. Some people can't afford a possible large repair/replacement bill that pops up with no notice.

So AppleCare may not be for everyone, but it has it uses and value for some people.

Chargr

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
That's a good price I just hate dealing with 3rd party insurance companies. They always try to find a way to screw you and I know with my luck I'd break my phone and fall under some kind of exception that would make me unable to replace my phone.
A very good price, I've used Squaretrade before, and had no problems.

They refunded my G2, 500$ because they couldn't fix it, (I paid 100$ at tmobile when I bought it) So i got way more in return.

And this time, since I got an Iphone, they seem to have the same coverage as AC. So looks like a win win, I can take to Genius Bar.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I have Applecare+ AND I use a case. I don't want to break a phone (yes, accidents happen. Someone ran into me while I was holding my phone last year and it got knocked out of my hand). I don't want to deal with going to the apple store, hoping they have an iphone5 for me to replace with and what not.

So I'd rather avoid dropping it, but if I do, it's in a case because I don't want to deal with replacing it.
I'd rather avoid needing applecare+ but I have it. It's insurance. I'd rather have it than not. And as a reminder: if you sell the device you can get a refund on the remainder of the AC+ or use it toward the next device. Totally worth it.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I've been tempted to get it this time with all the issues people are reporting with the iPhone 5, but I abstained. The way I look at it, if you get AC+, you're $100 out of pocket no matter what. If you break your phone, $150.

If you don't get AC+, then you're not out anything, unless $229 if you break your phone. But only if you break your phone.

The only way AC+ could be worth it to me then, is if you break your phone twice and get two replacements for $200.

Someone once told me that insurance is all a gamble. Obviously, the house usually wins when you gamble. Apple wouldn't offer AC+ at a loss. If you get insurance, you're gambling that you're going to break your phone and require a replacement. If you don't get insurance, you're gambling that you won't break your phone and you won't need a replacement.

I'd rather gamble on myself and put that $100 in a savings account I think.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
+1 for Squaretrade

Got for all my stuff. So far they replaced the screen on my iPad twice with no charges to me (its different for pads vs phones). Yes you have to ship it off, but being able to take it to the Apple Store may make that a non-issue.

Also does Apple Care + cover liquids? I don't remember but that could be a big deal too.

FWIW
DLM

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I didn't get it, because with my 5 iPods, 3 iPhones and 3 Macs that I've owned over 10 years of buying Apple stuff, I've had a problem with 1 iPod (an iPod photo which's HDD died after about 3 years) and 1 Mac (a Powerbook which needed the trackpad replaced within the first year).
I've never bought an extended warranty, and had I, would have never used it.
Applecare+ is $99 plus $49 for a replacement = $148. It's $229 for a replacement without Applecare. If I ruin this phone, the $81 excess I'll be paying will still leave me way ahead than if I had bought Applecare over the years.
I'll just take my chances, and if I do ruin this phone and need a new one, I'll put it in an otterbox.

Forget an otterbox, put it in a lifeproof case... Atleast it is completely water proof.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Since this phone is so prone to scratches and nicks, I purchased Applecare + and plan to intentionally destroy for replacement, if my phone gets physical damage. So far Ive noticed if you get a scratch free out of box, it is easy to keep that way with care.

How nice that you plan to commit fraud and freely admitted so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.