Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rshock

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
The question i ask you!:

What for model/brand/speed memory are you using?
Maybe the problem only occur with certain ram modules since the Intel GPU is using the system memory.

I am using Samsung 1600Mhz 2x4GB. My system reports that it is utilizing all 8GB of total RAM, operating at the full 1600Mhz. It is a 2012 i5 Mac Mini, and I do suffer from the black/snow problem, usually when the HD4000 is being taxed (such as when gaming, or video processing).

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I am using Samsung 1600Mhz 2x4GB. My system reports that it is utilizing all 8GB of total RAM, operating at the full 1600Mhz. It is a 2012 i5 Mac Mini, and I do suffer from the black/snow problem, usually when the HD4000 is being taxed (such as when gaming, or video processing).

Is it custom memory? (Not the standard delivered ram with your Mac Mini.)

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I have read that someone replaced his 2012 Mac Mini Memory with 2011 Memory and got suddenly issues.

The specifications for the mem 2011 = DDR3 1333 mhz
The specifications for the mem 2012 = DDR3 1600 mhz

If you use the 2011 Mac Mini memory in the 2012 Mac Mini memory, than the memory will be downclocked to DDR3 1333mhz. Since the intel GPU is using this system memory it can have compatibility issues, en thats why you could have display problems.

Summary:

Since the Intel GPU is using the ram memory, it could have compatibility issues with certain ram modules at 1333mhz or 1600mhz.

It can also be that your 1600mhz is downclocked to 1333mhz and have problems like the person i mentioned above.

The questions i ask you!:

1 What for model/brand/speed memory are you using? And is it "apple" memory or custom?
Maybe the problem only occur with certain ram modules since the Intel GPU is using the system memory.

2 Which CPU are you using? (Dual-core/quadcore, Speed, etc) Maybe it only happens with a
batch/serie CPU's since they have integrated GPU's.

3 Do you suffer from the black/snow screen isues and/or the bad color/bad text/can't see light shades issues? (Or something else)

4 Do these issues happen if you put all the sleep options off in the power settings? (So that you Mac Mini and screen are awake for 24/7 and at full speed) Because i have read that some engineers said is it probably a software issue because the gpu tells the screen to go into sleep mode.

my answers:
1. Stock configuration from apple for both units (which both have the issue)

2. My personal unit is the i5 model, the other is a work unit and is the I7 server config

3. The I7 gets the blackouts every hour or so, no other symptoms, The i5- 3-4 times a day for black outs, a handful of static occurrences

4. The I7 server config by default comes with all the power saving turned off (since it's a server) and it is the worse of the two, My i5 i have played with the settings with no discernible difference.

The only thing that has been successful for me on either unit is to not use HDMI video in anyway shape or form including adapters. I.E a TB to DVI adapter works great. As does a TB to VGA adapter though you get a quality loss when using that

PS: monitors in use, Dell s2440l, Samsung 23 inch Series 5, No name auptonic monitor. No noticeable difference among all 3 for the black out-static issue

PPS: The samsung monitor also has a DVI input and when connected via mini display port-DVI adapter neither machine has had black outs or static. Unfortunately for me, the samsung belongs to my company

Last edited:

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
I am sure no one is surprised but the new HDMI to DVI cable Apple sent me has the same issue. Put the DP to DVI adapter I got from Monoprice back on and all looks good so far.

Apple said if the new cable didn't work they wanted to give me a new one and analyze this one but I put an SSD already in it so I don't really want to give it up. Seems like a bunch are already being analyzed too.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I am sure no one is surprised but the new HDMI to DVI cable Apple sent me has the same issue. Put the DP to DVI adapter I got from Monoprice back on and all looks good so far.

Apple said if the new cable didn't work they wanted to give me a new one and analyze this one but I put an SSD already in it so I don't really want to give it up. Seems like a bunch are already being analyzed too.

What has this to do with you losing your ssd? You can always put the stock hdd back in and take the ssd out. You get your new Mac Mini and put the ssd back in.

What is the big deal? :)

How more are analyzed how better. Do it atleast for me. :D

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
Yea Yea I know it's not that big of a deal but it just sucks because I have everything exactly the way i want it.
I'll email them back tomorrow and see if they want to exchange it.... only for the sake of the community!

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Yea Yea I know it's not that big of a deal but it just sucks because I have everything exactly the way i want it.
I'll email them back tomorrow and see if they want to exchange it.... only for the sake of the community!

You could make a image and put that image on the new Mac Mini.
Edit since you use the same mac mini, you can put the same ssd in the new mac mini without reinstalling everything. just boot and it works!

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
You could make a image and put that image on the new Mac Mini.
Edit since you use the same mac mini, you can put the same ssd in the new mac mini without reinstalling everything. just boot and it works!

Thats actually what I was planning to do. I'll email them tomorrow.

google0912

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
hey,

just got my new Mini, nice machine :)

However, after some minutes I had the first black screen (2,6 i7, atm 4GB, not yet SSD). What is most annoying is the sound my monitor (Samsung 2333SW) makes now - a monotonous, more or less silent sound (whirring). Did never occur in Windows...

I'm using the hdmi-to-DVI adapter. Once I turn off the monitor, it's gone...

Any ideas? I can't change the refreshrate, it's set to 60hz... resolution change does not help.

Last edited:

google0912

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
good news: The whirring is away!

solution: I tried out the monitor presets (I normally use "Internet" which is kind of darker), now using "Game" which is much brighter and the whirring is away :)

outofturn

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Random Black Screens

I'm having the same issue. I bought a base model, stock, Mini last w/e (10/11/12). Set it up only to find that these random black screens appear a few times a day. I'm using the HDMI port to DVI. Is this something that can be fixed by an apple update or is it an issue with the hardware? I can't seem to find this issue on the Apple forums. Will they take notice unless it is on their own forums?

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I'm having the same issue. I bought a base model, stock, Mini last w/e (10/11/12). Set it up only to find that these random black screens appear a few times a day. I'm using the HDMI port to DVI. Is this something that can be fixed by an apple update or is it an issue with the hardware? I can't seem to find this issue on the Apple forums. Will they take notice unless it is on their own forums?

It is in the Apple forum as well, but not that many people have this issue. You may try a Thunderbolt connector or exchange the device.

knight1

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
London,UK
I'm having the same issue. I bought a base model, stock, Mini last w/e (10/11/12). Set it up only to find that these random black screens appear a few times a day.

you may want to look at the Intel forums, where many users have been reporting a issue with HDMI on Intel HD4000 since June 2012.

http://communities.intel.com/message/171244

Apple are taking notice and I think most of the Minis' have this problem, as reported by many users, some of them are on their 2nd or 3rd Mini which also shows the issue.
There are many threads on the Apple forum reporting the problem from users all over the world, this is the longest:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4472316?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4472037?tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20193740#20193740

I put my experience on the Apple forums and got a call from Apple Tech support/Applecare who read my post and wanted to collect the Mini for examination and testing. They also said after receiving the Mini, they would send me a replacement. I declined the offer of a replacement, because I had already received a RMA number from Apple for a refund.
But I gave him the RMA number and asked him to contact the returns department to forward my Mini to the Apple engineers for examination and testing, so they could fix the problem in future MacMini production.

Many people won't be reporting it on the forums and will be calling Apple directly or returning it to store or online. We will never know how widespread the problem is, unless someone here works for Apple in tech department and checks. And most users who don't use the HDMI will never know there is a problem with the Mini, until few weeks/months later when they need to use it and find the problem.
I only experienced the problem when using the HDMI port, even with the adapter.

Last edited:

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Connected my mdp to hdmi adapter and used that instead of the onboard hdmi and voila, no black screens. It's not a solution, this is unacceptable. But if you have one laying around why not use it until there is a fix. :rolleyes:

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Solution?

There is a possible solution worth to try from Macintouch Forum.

I cite:

It sounds like the HDCP (DRM) handshaking is failing -- I've seen the same thing happen on TVs with Blu-ray players. It's unlikely changing adapters will make a difference, because an HDMI-DVI adapter is purely passive. (Mini-DP->DVI/VGA, on the other hand, is a totally different beast, because it's telling the DP port to output a completely different kind of signal.) That said, the fix might be really simple and cheap: try different cables. If you're going to get new cables anyway, I suggest dispensing with adapters altogether, and instead going on monoprice.com (for budget) or bluejeanscable.com (for top quality with good prices) and ordering cables that have HDMI on one end and DVI on the other. And get cables that are the shortest possible. The DVI signal (which is what HDMI uses) is really quite feeble and doesn't handle long cable runs well, and the HDCP handshaking is even less forgiving.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011

I cite:

Nope; for me anyway

Have one of the monoprice cables exactly as described and get the blackouts frequently.

The only solution that works on the two minis I have is to dispense with HDMI altogether. I have a mini display port to DVI adapter and it works perfectly for me.

That however doesn't help me personally since both my tv and monitor (dell s2440L) only have HDMI inputs

Makavillin

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Well, I caved today and returned the Mini. It was fun while it lasted, but the issues were just too much for me. Sad to see the little fella go :(.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010

A more expensive ANALOG vga cable can make a difference since it is analog.
But the price doesn't matter with a digital cable like hdmi or dvi, since all they do is transfer one's an zero's digitally.

It works or it not works. Explanation in the links below:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-entertainment/1292371/expensive-hdmi-cables-make-no-difference-the-absolute-proof/3

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

Summary: A cheap hdmi/dvi cable has the same quality as a $10.000 one. It is marketing ********.

Last edited by a moderator:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011

I cite:

Laughable, this is not a cable issue, nor a monitor issue, it is an Intel HD4000 GPU issue. To reiterate, the fix has to come from Intel (MFC release), which Apple rolls into an EFI release. Intel's been working on it 6 months with no resolution, and it's affecting Win/Linux machines as well. Caveat emptor!

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
I'm wanting to buy a 2012 Mac Mini, but waiting for Apple/Intel to fix it!

So is RiderX suggesting coming out of the Mac with the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, and then using a DVI to HDMI cable?

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Laughable, this is not a cable issue, nor a monitor issue, it is an Intel HD4000 GPU issue. To reiterate, the fix has to come from Intel (MFC release), which Apple rolls into an EFI release. Intel's been working on it 6 months with no resolution, and it's affecting Win/Linux machines as well. Caveat emptor!

Must be awesome to be so sure you are right :rolleyes:

Few points to consider
1. if there was exactly the same hardware in the macs as the PC's you could be correct. However Macs have some relatively unique hardware to them such as thunderbolt which PC's don't have

2. We have at least 3 (dell) Pc's with the HD4000 chipset in them that DO NOT exhibit the problem while the minis connected to the same exact display DO

3. These same minis do not exhibit the problem when connected via thunderbolt, mini display port to DVI or mini display port to VGA. Only when HDMI is in use, on the mac end, display end or both.

I'm stating what I have observed based on my own experience and am not claiming it to be anything more that. Categorically stating that you alone have the answer is not helpful to anyone. People trying different ideas and reporting success or failure is.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is, I just keep hoping for a fix or a workaround that I can deploy and I'll be happy

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
I'm wanting to buy a 2012 Mac Mini, but waiting for Apple/Intel to fix it!

So is RiderX suggesting coming out of the Mac with the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, and then using a DVI to HDMI cable?

buy it, use it, then return it before Jan 6th. They are having holiday return policy.

then you will be able to know if it bothers you that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.